Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Current Project

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Current Project

Old 06-05-19, 07:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Current Project

I haven't offered anything up lately. In the past a lull in the torch projects was typical as the retail shop hours ramped up. This spring is different. I got a lot done last winter while recovering from two foot surgeries and have kept a job or two going since. I hope to have more shots of other completed bikes soon, the wife and I have to dial in out set ups first. Here's an interesting fork build. It's replacing an OEM one which had an odd A-C, being for a 20" tire, and a specific brake reach. If the brake mounting barrel had been further below the crown I would have considered a bridge tube running between the blades.

This is the first fork with this new to me jig. It is nice to work with. Very solid, repeatable and looks to be spot on straight. Andy
Old 06-06-19, 08:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
That's nice. Did the bike originally have v-brakes?
Old 06-06-19, 08:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Eric- Not sure of the OEM fork's brakes. This is being built to a dimensional spec then being delivered raw. It's someone's experiment for changing their bike handling. Andy
Old 06-06-19, 10:16 AM
eno

Bikes: n-1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice solution, is that just the steerer tube projecting down or is it a separate piece added on under the bridge?

William.
Old 06-06-19, 10:36 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Really pretty. That's either some great brazing or very fine filing, or both. I with I had that sort of patience, but that self knowledge is why I like to look at your builds (and those of some others here) rather than contemplating picking up the torch myself.
Old 06-06-19, 10:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

William- Yes the "skirt" is the steerer extending below the crown.

himespau- Thanks. A single shot doesn't show the planning. I did a couple of practice brazings emulating this joint before this one. Of course there's some filing (after brazing, a lot before...) but mostly of the brass flash that coats the outsides of the crown. I've been doing this part time hobby building thing for a long time and sometimes you get that groove going. Currently my torch work is better then usual. Soon this will pass. Andy
Old 06-07-19, 09:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
My brazing has been better than it is right now because I really need to get my cataracts removed. It's hard to do if you can barely see what's going on. Oh, well, getting old stinks, especially if you don't wear sunglasses.

I have found that an abrasive buff on a dremel works well for removing flash. Better than expected, really. I just buy the cheap ones from Amazon and don't stress about how fast I go through them. I also like how it highlights areas that I need to file, sometimes things blend in a little too much (see aforementioned cataracts)