Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Overhauling a Shimano Freehub - Y3B980000 Shimano Freehub Grease

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-08-19, 05:52 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts

I'm working inside of a shimano freehub body and noticed that there is another type of grease used in there. Very thin in consistency, almost like a light jelly. I think the stuff in question is pictured below (Y3B980000). Anyone ever work with this stuff? Price is up there. I think I'll throw in Lubriplate MAG-1. It is a very light grease a well, not quite as light as what was in there but good enough and I have a cartridge of that already.
Old 07-08-19, 06:27 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Not sure what you are seeing inside the hub body. Could be liquid lube mixed with bearing grease or even grease from the pawls and springs. In any event, if you can’t find specific instructions for servicing your particular free hub, here’s a link to Park Tools guide for Shimano freehubs.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...reehub-service

Good luck!
Old 07-08-19, 06:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
My spare (NOS) Shimano freehub bodies are packed with a very light grease. Makes sense -- you want something that will stay put, but isn't too thick. And you don't want the thing crammed full of it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-08-19, 06:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Grease can cause the pawls to stick down and therefore not fully engage the teeth. Pawls break more easily then and/or the freehub can slip forwards, if at the wrong moment this is bad. medium/thick oil is what most of the shop wrenches (I've worked with) will use. Andy
Old 07-08-19, 07:38 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
I used to just mix some motor oil with grease until it was just thick enough not to drip. Worked perfect in Shimano Freehub Bodies. You want as thin as possible but not too thin where it oozes through the seals in warm weather hence the non-dripping viscosity. Since I started using Chain-L chain lube I just use that instead and works great if you happen to have some already.
Old 07-09-19, 06:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
pretty sure a well know rebuilder @PastorBobninh uses super lube synthetic grease which is like 5 or 6 bucks for 3 ounces. It seems pretty available. (and for a bit more he uses Finish line extreme fluoro grease)

I got a hub from him and it is smooth

I have dribbled phils tenacious into old noisy hubs with good results, but that is not a rebuild

Old 07-10-19, 01:01 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Leanord Zinn recommend adding a spring to a shimano freehub body so you could use a Freehub Buddy to pump grease into one. I have rebuilt mine with a fabricated piano wire spring and use Lubriplate EMB grease in my freehub bodies. I pump in fresh grease and it forces out the old. They are sluggish for a few hundred miles and then smooth out.
Old 07-10-19, 01:52 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I used to just mix some motor oil with grease until it was just thick enough not to drip. Worked perfect in Shimano Freehub Bodies. You want as thin as possible but not too thin where it oozes through the seals in warm weather hence the non-dripping viscosity. Since I started using Chain-L chain lube I just use that instead and works great if you happen to have some already.
same, perfect viscosity for the majority of freehub pawls
Old 07-11-19, 11:03 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Thanks for the input fellas. Andy, I didn't get into pawl territory (don't have the two prong removal tool, yet). I only removed the body off the hub, popped the rubber seal & inverted the bearings into shallow solvent (just enough for them to wick some up). Cleaned them, repeated the procedure until satisfactory for this time around. Any slight solvent remnant will help with lubrication in this case considering grease is used and not a liquid lube, I'd imagine. After I obtain or borrow the two pronger tool, I'll re-do the process more thoroughly. The hub I was working on is an MH-510, which I've found to be completely parts compatible with an MC18 (both shimano). I might just perform a parts donor surgery. The MC18 (which seems in better condition than the other) is a bare hub but the MH510 is laced up to a Sun Rhino Lite which I want to use asap.

If there is less of a Rockefeller-esque budget Shimano lube to use then I'm all ears.
Old 07-11-19, 11:15 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Thanks for the input fellas. Andy, I didn't get into pawl territory (don't have the two prong removal tool, yet). I only removed the body off the hub, popped the rubber seal & inverted the bearings into shallow solvent (just enough for them to wick some up). Cleaned them, repeated the procedure until satisfactory for this time around. Any slight solvent remnant will help with lubrication in this case considering grease is used and not a liquid lube, I'd imagine. After I obtain or borrow the two pronger tool, I'll re-do the process more thoroughly. The hub I was working on is an MH-510, which I've found to be completely parts compatible with an MC18 (both shimano). I might just perform a parts donor surgery. The MC18 (which seems in better condition than the other) is a bare hub but the MH510 is laced up to a Sun Rhino Lite which I want to use asap.

If there is less of a Rockefeller-esque budget Shimano lube to use then I'm all ears.
You'll never get back the time spent, so I hope it was worth it.
Old 07-11-19, 10:58 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
You'll never get back the time spent, so I hope it was worth it.
Unfortunately none of us get back time spent but in this instance it was worth it. It was the first time I'd taken one apart and the experience was a good one. Surprisingly simple process too. For a winter bike I'm going to take the freehub apart and lube the pawls with an ultra thin lubricant so they behave properly at -20c. Some have even used kerosene as pawl lube for their dedicated winter bikes I've heard.
Old 07-11-19, 11:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Sometimes the satisfaction of taking something apart and making it better is reward enough. Who cares whether it impresses the grumpy trolls of the Internet.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-12-19, 08:28 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
SRAM Butter (light fork stanchion grease) works good too... as does Chain-L and Phil Wood Tenacious oil.