Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

what type of ride did you do for the 4th?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-04-05, 04:41 PM
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i got on the TT bike and did intervals. good workout. gonna have hot dogs, beer, and ice cream tonight, and watch the red sox

dvd of jimi hendrix at woodstock playing 'the star spangled banner' on the stereo and tv. happy fourth of july, citizens
Old 07-04-05, 04:46 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Did a 18 mile personal TT and continued for another 20 in prep for STP next Saturday.

Happy 4th everyone.

55/Rad
Old 07-04-05, 04:51 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I planned on doing my usual weekend ride to Stone Mountain Park, doing a few laps around the mountain, and heading home. No!!!!
I'm all duded up in my patriotic jersey, helmet, socks, etc. and when I got close to the park many of the streets were blocked off for parades, so I did a quick "get me outta here" maneuver and rode home. Only did about 21 miles. Not nearly as many miles as I'd hoped for.
Saw lots of other cyclists but none dressed in patriotic attire. Communists!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-04-05, 04:55 PM
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a 30 miler around East/West River Drives, as Westie is closed off for the Holiday. Really nice day for it.

I am afraid to do my long trip until I get my Blackburn frame pump (my pump isn't liking Prestas these days for some reason...won't lock), so I'm just doing the 30s everyday until it comes!
Old 07-04-05, 04:56 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LT intervals on the road bike on the trainer... fun
Old 07-04-05, 04:57 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not a minute on a bike since Friday!
Boating, wake board, BBQ and eating....lots of eating.

BBQ chips.....dips...hot dogs....ice cream....pizza....beer....
Man, for one weekend I was living my old lifestyle.
Enough of that.
I'm back in town and ready to watch some tapes of the TDF on OLN, and Tuesday it's time to grind out some miles.
Old 07-04-05, 05:06 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just did a solo metric. well, a little over a metric, 67 miles. Only stops were for water refills.
Old 07-04-05, 05:08 PM
dahvaio

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 40 miles up Los Alisos to Santiago Canyon to Jamboree and back on Irvine Blvd... I didn't exert myself and just set a nice easy pace...
Old 07-04-05, 05:10 PM
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
I just did a solo metric. well, a little over a metric, 67 miles. Only stops were for water refills.
nice ride. the only hilly part of ohio. i'd love to do that. too far to drive, though
Old 07-04-05, 05:18 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
30 miles, marina del rey to mulholland via sepulveda, came back down san vicente, beaches were unbelievably packed.
Old 07-04-05, 05:20 PM
HammerTime
Junior

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 50 mile Patriot ride with the lbs...avg 18.5...little warm but gorgeous day
Old 07-04-05, 05:27 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made a visit to the Cook's corner, had a coke and a refil. There weren't as many bikes (motorcycles) as usual. Rode around the streets in the area. Stopped at the festivity in Mission Viejo, where Olympic road racing start line, finish line were set in 1984. Little over 40 miles ride. The weather was just perfect but I didn't see many cyclists.
Old 07-04-05, 05:28 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did about 38 miles through Portola Valley, up to Woodside, and back by way of Peet's in Los Altos, with my daughter in the back of the tandem, my wife on her single, and a couple of other women from the cycling club.
Old 07-04-05, 05:38 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode around and around, then up and down the bridges.
I used the computer for the first time and found out I could get up to 24 mph, but not for long. A little spinning and watching the cadence for the rest of the time.
After three easy rides, I put 34 miles on today.
Off to watch the fireworks on the beach.
And then I'll take a late nite ride down to the House of Blues.
Old 07-04-05, 05:40 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mostly dodging rednecks and their firework mishaps.

Since some of the objects are coming from places I can't even see (such as from the other side of a giant building) I'm sure it's just the thin end of the gene pool and nothing deliberate.

On a good note I tried to race a bottle rocket that was skidding to the side of me....I lost
Old 07-04-05, 05:44 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
60 mile loop around Lake Washington on the tandem, our last major ride before STP. We left at 0730 to beat the crowds.

Route: Log Boom Park (Kenmore) - Marymoor Park - Coulon Park - Seward Park - Arboretum - Kenmore

Saw a big bald eagle, a rabbit, a goldfinch, a great blue heron, and the mountain was definitely out today.
Old 07-04-05, 05:51 PM
zing28
Crunch Time!!!!

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 mile solo. Happy 4th!
Old 07-04-05, 05:52 PM
JavaMan

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a nice 1.5 hour recovery ride at 65%. That's 20 miles at average HR of 120.
Old 07-04-05, 06:16 PM
waterboy

Bikes: Trek 5.2, Rocky mountain Hammer, K2 Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25 miles around Paradise loop, met my wife and kid for the Corte Madera July 4th parade, then another 20mile loop on the way home. Gonna fire up the grill in about 30 minutes- perfect day as far as I am concerned.

Happy 4th to all.
Old 07-04-05, 06:16 PM
biketownblogger
Biking Belle

Bikes: GT Hybrid, Schwinn Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25 miles along our lakefront and parade route this morning with the club. We put some flags on the back of our bikes and the little kids and drunk people (yes, 7am and the beers were out, or should I maybe say still out from the night before) clapped for us while waiting for the parade to start. Rain here too, but light.
Old 07-04-05, 06:21 PM
feltrider

Bikes: Roubaix Pro 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 41 miles around the beach area with a group. Beautiful weather today for a ride. Loved every minute of it. What a great way to start off a holiday before a picnic.
Old 07-04-05, 06:25 PM
indie kid
Road to Joy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been sick the last 3 days. Might be sick for awhile [tonsilitis, massive fever]. The days Ive been sick it hasnt rained at all and has been really nice outside.
Old 07-04-05, 06:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Let me see...

I started out with the standard Monday morning Coffee Ride, a pace line/drag race with a stop for coffee in the middle. Thanks to the holiday, we had a good bunch of fast riders today, and we sailed through every single traffic light on Foothill Expressway, Junipero Serra, and Santa Cruz Avenue. That has never happened before.

After the coffee stop at Peets in Menlo Park, I was indecisive about what ride to do next. Should I continue with the group back to the start, hang out for a while and join up with the ad hoc Noon Ride, or head for the hills to punish myself with some uphill intervals?

My buddy Roger advised me to good do intervals, since they would be the most painful. Good buddy, he is. So I split off and headed towards Kings Mountain in Woodside. On the way, I caught up with a rider wearing a California Triple Crown jersey. He sort of looked like my buddy Jeff, but I knew Jeff was working today. Well, it turns out Jeff got the day off, so he was riding after all. I rode with him to Huddart Park, where several other riders had gathered. We started up Kings, and I started my 5-minute intervals. I was feeling pretty good, although my legs still were a little weak from being sick with the flu last week. On the second to last interval, I passed two guys wearing Alto Velo club clothing. I also had my Alto Velo kit on, so I grunted a greeting between breaths and kept my effort going. As I was doing my recovery, they passed me again and said hi. I said "one more and I can quit" and started my last interval. One of them jumped on my wheel, so I had some motivation to keep up the pace, making the final interval the fastest I've done in a few weeks. He came around me at the summit, but I didn't mind. I had done some good interval work.

The group was heading to Sky Londa by way of Star Hill and Swett Roads, two lovely and shaded mountain roads through the coastal redwoods. I rode these with Lyresa, Jeff's girlfriend and another one of my favorite ride buddies. We got to Skyline Road and headed for Sky Londa at a spirited pace. There was lots of holiday traffic on Skyline, so we wanted to get that over quickly. I took the lead and worked as domestique to Lyresa, who was glued to my wheel (she's small and can't descend quickly, but she sure can hold a wheel). As we were descending the sweeping curves of Skyline, we often were going too fast to pedal. Great fun.

When we got to Sky Londa, we decided not to go with the rest of the group on Skyline, so we headed down Highway 84 towards to coast with me on the front (again at a brisk pace), then back up Alpine Road and down Page Mill, which is a screaming fun and technical descent back to the Silicon Valley. Finally, one last stop at Peets in Palo Alto for coffee and we headed to our respective homes.

Nice route, good training, tons of cyclists to share the roads with, near perfect weather, excellent ride buddies. 69 miles, 5500 feet.

Old 07-04-05, 06:43 PM
roadgator
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just shy of 60 miles:

from littleton out on the c470 trail to morrison, north to (then up) look out mountain--new personal best up that one, then down 6th ave and the frontage roads to the plate river trail, back south to littleton. saw more people than ussual out today which was nice.

tomoro im giveing myself a rest and washing the bike.
Old 07-04-05, 06:47 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Twenty and Four hilly miles on my roadster. As I pulled up to my front door, there was a big peal of thunder. I was safe and dry inside, pulling off my shoes when the rain started.

Happy 4th!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.