Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nashbar brand components

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nashbar brand components

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 08:17 PM
bailcash09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar brand components

A few questions about Bike Nashbar brand components.

1. Are these generally or good quality? There are some good deals especially on carbon forks
2. I assume they just rebadge some other manufacturer's product - am I correct?
3. if #2 is correct, then are they new old stock parts or all brand new?

I was just curious...have surfed their site a lot and got to wondering. Thanks!
Old 12-09-07, 08:24 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by bailcash09
A few questions about Bike Nashbar brand components.

1. Are these generally or good quality? There are some good deals especially on carbon forks
2. I assume they just rebadge some other manufacturer's product - am I correct?
3. if #2 is correct, then are they new old stock parts or all brand new?

I was just curious...have surfed their site a lot and got to wondering. Thanks!
#1. Hit or miss. Clothing is terrible, parts I've seen have bid a little sub-average overall, but acceptable.
#2. Correct.
#3. I don't see how this matters.
Old 12-09-07, 08:26 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
1. Good. The name has little 'bling' factor, but the products themselves are excellent and reliable.
2. No. Well, kind of. They 'rebadge' products as much as Trek might 'rebadge' frames, as far as I'm concerned.
3. They're brand new.
Old 12-09-07, 08:27 PM
bailcash09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
#3. I don't see how this matters.
It doesn't. I was just curious really - you know, do they just buy up everyone's surplus or what.
Old 12-09-07, 08:29 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I bought some of their clothing - not impressed at all and would not make the same mistake again.
2. Probably not rebadge but definitely purchased from some part manufacturer that likely makes parts for brand name companies too. Think of it this way - heinz makes their own ketchup, but they also make private label ketchup.
3. I'm sure they're new.
Old 12-09-07, 08:35 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't really answer your questions other than to say that I have Nashbar LOOK-style pedals (the cheapest ones they offer [on sale for $20]) and with approximately 1,000 miles or so on them, I've had no problems whatsoever. Never unclipped during a hard (for me anyway) sprint and very easy to engage and disengage. This is the only Nashbar item I own, so I'm probably not much help.
Old 12-09-07, 08:45 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a few Nashbar parts. They have all held up for me. Don't know about the clothes other than some bibs I bought, and I don't mind them either.
Old 12-09-07, 10:33 PM
ChunkyB
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have nashbar rollers (I don't know if those qualify as components) and I really love them. I was a little unimpressed with their website and service, but the rollers are great. I've heard the clothes suck, but I don't have any personal experience. Pretty much every bike company rebadges parts made by another company, so that shouldn't be a concern.

The bottom line is that you pay for the bling factor with other brands that you don't have to pay for with nashbar, so you really can save some money on the same, or comparable components.
Old 12-09-07, 10:37 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I buy lots of stuff from Nashbar and have had good luck with their house brand components and clothes. More so than with PerformanceBike. Their products are usually the same ones sold under other brand names, but often for much less. Many companies farm out their manufacturing, which means they also need a lot of product design and development help as well.
Old 12-09-07, 10:47 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a few components through them (handlebars, lights, gloves) and I have no complaints. Odd that Performance owns them, yet they still operate as independent entities.
Old 12-09-07, 11:14 PM
ChunkyB
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
Odd that Performance owns them, yet they still operate as independent entities.
It seems odd to me too, especially since they're pretty close competitors. They seem to sell the same things at near the same prices, and they appeal to the same demographic. Maybe it's to make it seems like there's more competition than there really is. Not like disguising a monopoly, because they're far from that, but kind of the same idea maybe. Or maybe it's just way too late and my brain stopped functioning normally, and I should just go to bed.
Old 12-10-07, 07:13 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChunkyB
It seems odd to me too, especially since they're pretty close competitors. They seem to sell the same things at near the same prices, and they appeal to the same demographic. Maybe it's to make it seems like there's more competition than there really is. Not like disguising a monopoly, because they're far from that, but kind of the same idea maybe. Or maybe it's just way too late and my brain stopped functioning normally, and I should just go to bed.
I think that is exactly it. I'm sure there are millions of people who buy from them and don't talk about it online, and probably don't know they're the same parent company. Maybe "millions" a little high.
Old 12-10-07, 09:36 AM
jon148

Bikes: 2006 Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought quite a few products from nashbar and overall I've had a great experience with them. I've purchased nashbar brand lights which do the job just fine, a helmet and handlebars to name a few. My girlfriend got me a gift certificate to them so I will be buying much more. I had a question about one order I had placed and all it took was a quick phone call and all my questions were answered. Personally I think they're a great website with great deals.