Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

It's sad, really...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

It's sad, really...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 04:47 PM
rmp5s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's sad, really...

...how, the more people I tell I'm going to start pedaling to work, the more people I have look at me like I have lobsters coming out of my ears. I don't know where everyone is on here, but here in Northern Kentucky, biking to work is almost sacrilage. For example:

- My parents think I'm completely off my rocker since I told them I was buying a bike to ride to work. They are CERTAIN I am going to get mawled by a bus within my first 2 miles. (Oh...and, out of curisoity, anyone have any statistics on how safe commuting by bike is in relation to driving?)

- My girlfriend got a nice laugh when I told her she should get a bike and ride too since it was only 5.9 miles to work for me and not even 5 for her.

- A guest at a table of mine the other day said he was going to come back JUST TO SEE IF I'M RIDING when I told him I was going to start riding!

Anyone else come across this? How is it where you guys are? I know the views on this varies WILDLY depending where you are.
Old 06-20-08, 04:54 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's no big deal in NYC. People here think it's cool that I'm riding to work. I've noticed people making the same complaint as you recently were in NC and TN I think so maybe it's particular to the south cuz all the drivers down there think they're Richard Petty or they're only used to driving tractors. That wasn't insensitive or a broad generalization, was it?

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 06-20-08, 05:23 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I live in Tennessee, so yeah...it's pretty much exactly like that.
Old 06-20-08, 05:27 PM
Indyv8a

Bikes: Trek 800, Giant OCR C3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I haven't done it regularly yet, but I plan to next school year. 3.9 miles, yet I've been driving.

I live just outside of Baltimore, MD, and got passed by a giant chemical spreader on my ride today.
Old 06-20-08, 05:28 PM
ironhorse3

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was not sure of the reception I'd get, so I didn't tell anyone, but today everyone found out (because my bike had been stolen and when the parking supervisor called back and told the receptionist, she told everyone else in the office). However, I don't think anyone much cares, much to my relief. I personally enjoy riding (except when it's raining) and the distance is super manageable, and I am getting daily exercise which was my actual goal. So you might get your ride going, act super cool about it, and find that no one really faults you for this and might get some inspiration to do the same.

Re your safety question, I have looked into this on the 'net and I think it's slightly more risky than driving or walking, but not that much more of a risk than dying some other way you know, since most cyclists survive and derive some positive health benefits like exercise, and just plain fun. You have to be careful of course, and I'd suggest looking on this forum for tips on general safety such as avoiding driving when its wet, dark, or congested traffic. Avoid riding on the sidewalk, on the wrong side of the street, and obey all traffic signals. Take the lane is a often repeated phrase in this forum, and be aware of hidden dangers like people opening their car doors in front of you or people who can't see you turning in front of you. Wear a helmet, I would suggest. Have fun!
Old 06-20-08, 05:37 PM
GoldIngot

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes they think I'm a freak for riding my bike. I get all sorts of labels ranging from 'dedicated' to 'crazy f-er' but that's fine. It really opens the door to more subversive behavior like wearing my socks with sandals and walking the halls eating oatmeal out of a stryrofoam coffee cup. They've come to expect something a little off.
Old 06-20-08, 06:09 PM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now...don't get me wrong...I could give a flying wet racoon what people think about me. Until two days ago, I had a crazy, curly 8" afro-ish kind of hair do. People told me all the time I look better with short hair but I don't care. My parents think I'm an idiot (and they are the types of people that yell at those of us that "take the lane"...despite me telling them that THEY are actually the morons in this situation, they don't listen...) and I'm gunna do it anyway. If nothing else at all, this is all just fuel. I've always been a bit of an against the grain kind of person anyway. Only thing that would be cooler than pissing people off by doing it would be if I started a trend...lol (How "one extreme to the other" is that?! lol)

I figured biking is more dangerous but that's fine with me. I was in a really bad car accident and was unhurt (SEATBELTS!!!! The seatbelt hands down saved my life.) and, after that, the thought of anything being MORE dangerous than a car just kinda makes me laugh. Thanks for the reply though, man!

It's interesting to see how the perception of bikers varies by where you are.

Oh...and I lived in the dumbest, red-neck-est hick town ever until 2 days ago and HATED IT. I now live in the heart of town (a relatively small one at that...but whatever...) and it's exactly where I want to be. There won't be any more cows in my yard...no more getting stuck behind rednecks going 20 in a 55 in their big, noisy, stinky trucks...no more getting stuck behind TRACTORS!!!...no more damn closed minded racist ass holes all around me...NO MORE BFE! And THANK GOD!!!

I'd LOVE to go to NYC. What's it like up there? (other than expensive...lol)
Old 06-20-08, 06:33 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmp5s
Take it easy RMP5s... everyone up here has shaved heads!

Enjoy the ride and don't worry about what others think...
Old 06-20-08, 06:44 PM
fishtime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi , I tried the commute today too, first time ! Took the road bike, was very bumpy going up the the approches on the bike/ ped path for the first 5 miles. I have a Trek 400 Steelie and a mt. bike. I am thinking I might try the old Mt. Bike. I did like the quickness of the road bike, but when it is poorer conditins I might try the tank. ( BTW very heavy and not suspension )
I got a lot of junk from fellow workers wearing my bibs and gear but hey 10.5 miles each way was not too bad. The Big dump trucks are a pain in the back side though. Any hints would be helpful.

TY.
Old 06-20-08, 07:01 PM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BA Commuter
Take it easy RMP5s... everyone up here has shaved heads!
All the more reason to keep mine long when I make it up there! :-D
Old 06-20-08, 07:08 PM
PunkMartyr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...how, the more people I tell I'm going to start pedaling to work, the more people I have look at me like I have lobsters coming out of my ears. I don't know where everyone is on here, but here in Northern Kentucky, biking to work is almost sacrilage. For example:

- My parents think I'm completely off my rocker since I told them I was buying a bike to ride to work. They are CERTAIN I am going to get mawled by a bus within my first 2 miles. (Oh...and, out of curisoity, anyone have any statistics on how safe commuting by bike is in relation to driving?)

- My girlfriend got a nice laugh when I told her she should get a bike and ride too since it was only 5.9 miles to work for me and not even 5 for her.

- A guest at a table of mine the other day said he was going to come back JUST TO SEE IF I'M RIDING when I told him I was going to start riding!

Anyone else come across this? How is it where you guys are? I know the views on this varies WILDLY depending where you are.
After getting in and out of fitness over the years and deciding fitness is for me for life, I realized I don't care what other people think as long as i'm burning calories or pumping some iron.
Old 06-20-08, 07:13 PM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I hate to say this, but you're fighting against a lot of ingrained negative culture. I'm in So Cal, so people say 'great job, awesome!' and are encouraging.

The only freak-outs I get are because my ride is 28 miles each way, so I have to explain how I take the train in on the morning (carrying the bike with me) and ride home, and it's about a two-our ride if I'm taking it easy. Most people's eyes bug out about that, but that's what I usually get about any ride over 10 miles in general.

People then ask about the route I take, and when I explain that my ride is longer because I take side streets to minimize traffic, they say 'oh, cool' and that's about it.
Old 06-20-08, 07:21 PM
TexasEdit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a yankee living in rural Texas riding a bike at least 20 miles a day with a backpack bungee corded to the rack ... I don't do the lycra thing, but I do wear a helmet ... sometimes as the pickups roll by I can hear junior say, "Look ma, them bi-sicklers is worth 25 points."

Actually, the folks around me kind of shake their heads and smile and say, "Bless his heart" (Which means dipstick in Texan) ... however, as the price of gas and food keeps rising I start getting more specific questions about what I really do every day.
Old 06-20-08, 07:38 PM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hell yea, Punk. I'm training to fight and I lift weights and circuit [that's so not spelled right...] train constantly so adding the bike to my day was a HUGE added bonus in a lot of ways. I don't care what anyone else says...just like I don't when I cruise down the street with my goofy hair (that's not goofy any more...:-() that nobody likes blaring Pantera that not many like. That's part of the fun in it for me and it is going to be my bike fuel!

That's hillarious, Texas. I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. If I tried to "claim the lane" where I just moved from I would surely be killed. Here I'll at least be killed on accident...lol Where I moved from was...like...a hybrid between a very small "normal" town, every racist community in GA, the farming towns of IA with the flavor of some of the western parts of KY.

That is my hell. I was born in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! lol I lived there for THIRTEEN YEARS! I'm not down with that redneck, farming crap. I would trade that for NYC or some other big city in a heartbeat...

Last edited by rmp5s; 06-20-08 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-20-08, 07:49 PM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, the folks around me kind of shake their heads and smile and say, "Bless his heart" (Which means dipstick in Texan) ...
Actually, I think that means "Why did they ever shut down those wonderfull institutions to put those 'slow' people who can't pass the drivers test"

Don't worry about it..... I'm known as "That crazy white boy on the bicycle". I ride into Gary, IN (once the murder capital of the USA) and E. Chicago, IN (Not much better than Gary). If I can do it, so can you!
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-20-08, 07:50 PM
cradduck
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While there are a lot of cyclists on my route to and from work, there is one bike rack for 4,095 employees and it's only been full a couple times....usually for a couple days after a big spike in gas it is pretty full and then it goes back to the same two or three usual bicycles. Myself and two others keep our bikes at our desks, but overall you still get looked at like you have lobsters growing out ears by other employees. But really...the fact that I don't fit in with a but of OC yuppies makes me feel even better about myself.

Just tell your parents that you are more likely to be killed by an asteroid than be killed while riding your bike.
Old 06-20-08, 07:51 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...how, the more people I tell I'm going to start pedaling to work, the more people I have look at me like I have lobsters coming out of my ears. .
nmm ... lobster!
Old 06-20-08, 07:58 PM
TechRydr
guacomole!

Bikes: Iron Horse Triumph 5.0, Motobecane 29'er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i actually get alot of respect from co-workers. most have hella commutes, I tell them they should do a 50/50 and all I get back is a blank stare. they're happy for me but don't want to be me... I'm seeing more motorcycles in the parking lot and over hear conversations of people wanting to buy scooters and cycles, so that's cool w/ me also.

talk is cheap and saying ain't doing, just start doing it and stick to it and they'll come around. Keep a positive attitude and your girlfriend might even come around to our side!
Old 06-20-08, 08:02 PM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cradduck
Just tell your parents that you are more likely to be killed by an asteroid than be killed while riding your bike.
Pfeh...screw that. I told my parent's to enjoy buying gas. My dad doesn't have a choice but to drive. He has too far to go. I couldn't picture my mom on a bike to save my life. Which is all fine and dandy...I just don't get why they act the way they do to those of us that do have a choice and choose not to ignore the option to ride a bike.
Old 06-20-08, 08:06 PM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TechRydr
i actually get alot of respect from co-workers. most have hella commutes, I tell them they should do a 50/50 and all I get back is a blank stare. they're happy for me but don't want to be me... I'm seeing more motorcycles in the parking lot and over hear conversations of people wanting to buy scooters and cycles, so that's cool w/ me also.

talk is cheap and saying ain't doing, just start doing it and stick to it and they'll come around. Keep a positive attitude and your girlfriend might even come around to our side!
I know. That's really all I can do, right?

Fun little side note...I'm in better shape than both of my parents and my girlfriend...lol Gee...is that a coincidence [sp.]? Nope. I frequent the gym and I welcome extra physical activity. Can't say the same for them. It's really too bad. Hopefully they come around for their health if nothing else.
Old 06-20-08, 08:08 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Had to laugh at that lobster from the ears comment....

As for their reactions? Well let's see... you live in the country that produced drive up banks, drive ins and likely almost drive up anythings where it is possible to get the product to fit through the driver's side window. I can't really say I'm surprised at the reactions. However I also agree that it's sad that so many are set in their car driving ways as to see this as some oddball urge that you need to be institutionalized over to effect a cure.....
Old 06-20-08, 08:44 PM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Oh...and I lived in the dumbest, red-neck-est hick town ever until 2 days ago and HATED IT. I now live in the heart of town (a relatively small one at that...but whatever...) and it's exactly where I want to be. There won't be any more cows in my yard...no more getting stuck behind rednecks going 20 in a 55 in their big, noisy, stinky trucks...no more getting stuck behind TRACTORS!!!...no more damn closed minded racist ass holes all around me...NO MORE BFE! And THANK GOD!!!

Hell yea, Punk. I'm training to fight and I lift weights and circuit [that's so not spelled right...] train constantly so adding the bike to my day was a HUGE added bonus in a lot of ways. I don't care what anyone else says...just like I don't when I cruise down the street with my goofy hair (that's not goofy any more...:-() that nobody likes blaring Pantera that not many like. That's part of the fun in it for me and it is going to be my bike fuel!

That's hillarious, Texas. I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. If I tried to "claim the lane" where I just moved from I would surely be killed. Here I'll at least be killed on accident...lol Where I moved from was...like...a hybrid between a very small "normal" town, every racist community in GA, the farming towns of IA with the flavor of some of the western parts of KY.

That is my hell. I was born in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! lol I lived there for THIRTEEN YEARS! I'm not down with that redneck, farming crap. I would trade that for NYC or some other big city in a heartbeat...
Pfeh...screw that. I told my parent's to enjoy buying gas. My dad doesn't have a choice but to drive. He has too far to go. I couldn't picture my mom on a bike to save my life. Which is all fine and dandy...I just don't get why they act the way they do to those of us that do have a choice and choose not to ignore the option to ride a bike.
OK... lemme see if I got this right:

You complain vehemently about the people that live around you and in your community... you intentionally go out of your way to antagonize them with blaring music, your self-described silly appearance, and obnoxious behavior... then you complain that they don't accept you because they're closed minded. You complain that your surroundings are hell because it's not SoCalifornia... then you dismissively insult your parents because they don't follow your instructions to live the way that you think that they should.

Have you ever thought about the possibility that you're just a spoiled little kid who acts like an ass? One day you'll grow up and realize that people are the same everywhere... and all we want is to be treated with respect.

And remember... there's always a Greyhound bus just waiting to take your hiney back west whenever you want.
Old 06-20-08, 09:24 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My coworkers think it's great that I ride... my boss was bragging about it the other day to a new employee.

When we were talking yesterday he wanted to make sure that my new parking spot (Under the stairwell in the building) was acceptable!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 06-20-08, 09:25 PM
scottieie

Bikes: 95' Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrated
OK... lemme see if I got this right:

You complain vehemently about the people that live around you and in your community... you intentionally go out of your way to antagonize them with blaring music, your self-described silly appearance, and obnoxious behavior... then you complain that they don't accept you because they're closed minded. You complain that your surroundings are hell because it's not SoCalifornia... then you dismissively insult your parents because they don't follow your instructions to live the way that you think that they should.

Have you ever thought about the possibility that you're just a spoiled little kid who acts like an ass? One day you'll grow up and realize that people are the same everywhere... and all we want is to be treated with respect.

And remember... there's always a Greyhound bus just waiting to take your hiney back west whenever you want.
Old 06-20-08, 09:32 PM
PurpleK
Velocipedic Practitioner

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen quite a change in how people respect my bike commuting. It's truly amazing the difference in how people now view my commuting style than they did just a year or two ago. Back then they thought of me as an eccentric envirowacko out to save the world. Now they see me as visionary and ahead of the curve. It's almost laughable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.