Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 07-24-19, 12:01 PM
Ashwen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our Goodwill is looking up!

Yesterday my youngest son (age 15) found two 1976 Motobecane grand jubilee touring bikes - 531 frames with Huret components - 30 bucks apiece. He is making one into a single speed and dad gets the other. I couldn’t be more proud if I had found them myself .

Originally Posted by HPL
At least they've got a couple. I went to work out of town one time without my ride and after having just had knee surgery (needed physical therapy); stopped in a thrift store to see if I could find something to roll on, but nothing. Found another place that had 2 cheap step-through "mtb" bikes that essentially were un-rideable, but grabbed one for $15 and rebuilt; gave it back to the thrift store when I left 2 months later (I told them I'd give back when I bought it; they thought I was a little wacked out; and I am!), so someone ended up with a decent riding bike, and I told the thrift store that it was now worth $20 when they resell it. My brother just picked up a decent Trek from a thrift shop for $30, but you need to always be checking these places. I live near a couple colleges so always a fairly decent amount to choose from, although many aren't much to write home about. That "PAN WORLD" bike looks in pretty good shape for what it is. I've also got a "repurposed" materials/goods business in town and have picked up a Royal Scot for $40; trying to get their Robin Hood for the past year and a half, but they won't budge on the price ($100), and it's getting in worse shape every day so I drop my offer $5 every 3-4 months; much longer and I'll only be offering $5 for the hunk of rust that remains. Everybody thinks it's collectible if seen on ebay for hundreds of dollars, but they neglect to see what condition these bikes are in compared to their own. That is now the biggest problem with second hand bikes being sold at businesses and on Craigslist; everyone has that "rare" bike that's "selling" (or trying to sell) for over $1000; apparently your Pinarello Dogma on ebay makes the value of my Pinarello "sport frame" worth a couple grand just because of the name nowadays; NOT!
O
Old 07-24-19, 12:18 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Ashwen
Yesterday my youngest son (age 15) found two 1976 Motobecane grand jubilee touring bikes - 531 frames with Huret components - 30 bucks apiece. He is making one into a single speed and dad gets the other. I couldn’t be more proud if I had found them myself .
Cool. Unless the drivetrain is trashed, your son will be able to make a few bucks on the deal selling them here or on eBay. I just lucked into one of them as well. Every bit of the drivetrain - derailleurs, shifters, clamps - was Huret Jubilee.
Old 07-24-19, 12:43 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Cool. Unless the drivetrain is trashed, your son will be able to make a few bucks on the deal selling them here or on eBay. I just lucked into one of them as well. Every bit of the drivetrain - derailleurs, shifters, clamps - was Huret Jubilee.
I agree, or trade for a dedicated/built single speed.
Old 07-24-19, 11:46 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts

O
Excellent utilization of "kid power". That's why my Dad always brought us to the dump; the three little scavengers that we were. Nice frames to work on!
Old 07-25-19, 02:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Not sure if I should bother to bring this dump (yup, still sitting at the local dump) art home. The painting is roughly 30 inches by 30 inches. If it is still there on Saturday, when I next visit the dump, I think that I will grab it for my man cave/bike shop...
Old 07-25-19, 04:51 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 113 Posts

O
Very nice, more then likely with Brooks saddles. Welcome aboard!
Old 07-25-19, 05:35 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Excellent utilization of "kid power". That's why my Dad always brought us to the dump; the three little scavengers that we were. Nice frames to work on!
Come on now! Admit that you and your sibs begged your dad to take you.
Old 07-27-19, 07:02 AM
Ashwen

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
Very nice, more then likely with Brooks saddles. Welcome aboard!
Thank you! I wish I could post pictures but I have to put up more posts. Unfortunately the saddles are not original but would they have more likely been Ideal?
Old 07-27-19, 08:34 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Picked-up this freebie yesterday from this nice older gentleman. His brother was the original owner and it was handed down to him. He even printed out a transfer of ownership. lol I'll probably try to fit 700's since I'm not spending on some new 26in tires for this.
IMG_9424 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_9426 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_9428 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 07-27-19, 10:40 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Yes, 24" wheels but still single speed. Schwinn Predator 24, for example. Neat bike if you can find one. Your BMX sticker was probably a fifty cent accessory stuck to the head tube.

I guess Chiorda as the brand of that mixte.
Sorry for the late response. Really appreciate your post, would never have guessed Chiorda seeing as i; never even heard of the brand prior. Did research after originally reading your post days ago and found a couple of folk who had posted great up close pictures of other Chiorda's and you're guess was spot on, they apparently used the same design for the crown on all of their bikes.
Old 07-28-19, 09:50 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s
Sorry for the late response. Really appreciate your post, would never have guessed Chiorda seeing as i; never even heard of the brand prior. Did research after originally reading your post days ago and found a couple of folk who had posted great up close pictures of other Chiorda's and you're guess was spot on, they apparently used the same design for the crown on all of their bikes.
Well. it wasn't really a guess since we have one hanging in the garage. I was hedging my bets since I typed that without actually going out there to look at the bike before posting. This began as a white road bike that I converted in '83 to an MTB for my then-girlfriend, now wife. Every Chiorda I've ever seen came with a Thun bottom bracket, as does yours, but it was the fan-shaped bridge between the twin laterals and seat tube that got my attention, along with the flat seatstay bridge. Anyway, I just took some pix to verify the head lug detail and I will accept plaudits for being right about something. I doesn't happen often.

Incidentally, this bike and three of its sisters are for sale in C&V Sales under the title "The wife sez, "Sell my bikes."

Last edited by thumpism; 07-28-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 11:31 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 49 Posts
Scored this early Jamis hybrid yesterday:

No wheels or shifters, terrible seat, and the brake levers are bent, but it's double-butted Tange mtb tubing, the XCE cantilevers and crankset are nice, and I like the mid-blade fork eyelets. When I started stripping it down I found out why it had been tossed.

Not a big deal, there's a guy at my lbs that will weld it for $10 I think. Taking it in today. The head of that derailleur mounting bolt stripped when I put an allen wrench in it, but I got it out by heating the dropout with a torch and getting some vise grips on it.

Think I'm going to put drop bars, stem shifters, and non-aero levers on it, just because that's what I have on hand. Might have to switch out the stem to put drops on, which will be a shame, but the only mtb/riser bars I have right now are heavy steel.

Let me know if you have any insight into what model it could be!
Old 07-29-19, 01:55 PM
chazmatz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saved-Columbia 10-speed

This sad old bike was headed for the dumpster in a condo, and I took pity on it, took off the lame upright bars, replaced the wheels, tires, bars and levers, and now it rides smooth as silk. I loved the orange color, so I offset it by putting on light blue bar-tape on a set of vintage drops. It enjoys its spot next to a blue 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix.
When I get pic attachments to work, I'll post a photo of before and after.
Old 07-29-19, 02:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by eeuuugh
Scored this early Jamis hybrid yesterday:

No wheels or shifters, terrible seat, and the brake levers are bent, but it's double-butted Tange mtb tubing, the XCE cantilevers and crankset are nice, and I like the mid-blade fork eyelets. When I started stripping it down I found out why it had been tossed.

Not a big deal, there's a guy at my lbs that will weld it for $10 I think. Taking it in today. The head of that derailleur mounting bolt stripped when I put an allen wrench in it, but I got it out by heating the dropout with a torch and getting some vise grips on it.

Think I'm going to put drop bars, stem shifters, and non-aero levers on it, just because that's what I have on hand. Might have to switch out the stem to put drops on, which will be a shame, but the only mtb/riser bars I have right now are heavy steel.

Let me know if you have any insight into what model it could be!
I've had good luck reshaping the face of an MTB stem so that it's allow the curves of a drop bar to go by. I use a thick cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool to do the cutting.

Cheers
Old 07-30-19, 06:17 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Found this one destined for the scrap heap.

Changed the shoes, oiled the chain and dusted off some rust. Ready to leave unattended when I hit the local watering hole.
Nice job! I'm digging those fenders... I want them for my Norco.

Enjoy!
Old 07-30-19, 06:24 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Not sure if I should bother to bring this dump (yup, still sitting at the local dump) art home. The painting is roughly 30 inches by 30 inches. If it is still there on Saturday, when I next visit the dump, I think that I will grab it for my man cave/bike shop...
That looks like something from the RISD bicycle drawing admission requirement.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/368873025704191302/

I guess whoever made this didn't get in!
Old 07-30-19, 10:26 AM
Cheseldine

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 21 Posts
Found this one destined for the scrap heap.

Changed the shoes, oiled the chain and dusted off some rust. Ready to leave unattended when I hit the local watering hole.
Hey, that looks just like mine! I saved it from my Uncle's shed and thoroughly tore it down and built it up with some original and some better than new components with the help of Mountain Dave. Yours is a '76 just like mine.

Old 07-30-19, 08:45 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 86 Posts
Got this '92 Burley tandem on Sunday for $250. It's in excellent shape, though some things need attention.

Old 07-31-19, 05:53 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Found this one destined for the scrap heap. Changed the shoes, oiled the chain and dusted off some rust. Ready to leave unattended when I hit the local watering hole.
This '76 Super Mirage is very similar to the '75 Grand Touring I rode for the 2016 Clunker Challenge -

- and this humble bike made me re-think a whole bunch of cycling assumptions I'd had since c.1978 or so. Thanks for saving it, and I hope it serves you well!
Old 07-31-19, 03:26 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
I'm sure you don't suffer from this (), but I sometimes come across bikes that I really like, are available at a very reasonable price, but have no use for.

This is one of those. Came up for sale a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, one of my coworkers had just expressed a desire for a "real racing bike". So I got it for her, fitted a new chain, cables, cassette, inner chainring and pedals and delivered it at the office. Happy faces all around.

Forgot to take a pic at the time, so when it showed up again yesterday, I took the opportunity:

Old 07-31-19, 04:08 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Condor made in Switzerland. I've posted this bike here before but after more than a year I finally put handlebars on it and rode it for the first time. Too small for me and overgeared, of course, so it will eventually get my spare 22T cog and be kept for use by company. I originally got it for my wife, although she is giving up riding and her fleet, but this one is too nice to let go.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-31-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 04:30 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 113 Posts
Nice work on yours, looks great!

Originally Posted by Cheseldine
Hey, that looks just like mine! I saved it from my Uncle's shed and thoroughly tore it down and built it up with some original and some better than new components with the help of Mountain Dave. Yours is a '76 just like mine.

Old 08-02-19, 05:08 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 173 Posts

Picked up this Univega Supestrada today. Dating it as a 1998. Love this color and the price was right. Needs a rebuild, but in pretty good shape.

Last edited by brandenjs; 08-02-19 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-05-19, 08:05 AM
shelgame

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 46 Posts
Pulled this off the neighbor's trash pile and built it up for my nephew to take to college this fall. ~'95 Diamondback Ascent EX. CroMo frame, Tange fork, misc Shimano Deore (mostly) components. V-Brakes are Tektro, though. All from my parts bin. I think I might have $75 into this bike, and most of that is in paint and supplies.

Here's where we started:

And ready for school...

Old 08-07-19, 01:43 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

The dumpster gods finally answered my prayers! I was walking to work and intercepted this 1992 (?) Giant Perigee from a construction worker who was throwing it into a scrap bin. Pretty excited for a new project!

Likes For SeanBikes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.