Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Found a Schwinn World Sport need help Re-building

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 01:18 AM
GeenZee
Stoked to Learn

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sooo Found a new project and I need all the help I can get...Sooo Super Bowl Sunday found this little guy on the side walk getting rained on and had to take it home...and THE WIFE APPROVED!!! sooo this is my first road bike and in just 48 hrs i have learned sooo much but heres what i know. Based on the tag number this is a 1988-89 Scwhinn World Sport and soo it has a horribly bent rear rim and a ridiculously flat front with a slight bend that would be $25 to re-true. here are the pictures that i have so far and i will add more as i add things and clean it up. So needless to say to make this old beauty to be ridable is gonna take at least new rim and tire set and also new breaks and re-wiring. Soo what i need is input from anyone with some Schwinn knowledge or basic rebuild stuffs...well shootz and mahalos!

Last edited by GeenZee; 02-09-11 at 01:27 AM. Reason: image code wrong
Old 02-09-11, 01:25 AM
GeenZee
Stoked to Learn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...485191&theater

Last edited by GeenZee; 02-09-11 at 01:26 AM. Reason: wrong code
Old 02-09-11, 01:29 AM
GeenZee
Stoked to Learn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...485191&theater
Old 02-09-11, 01:37 AM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nice. Pretty good bike you have there. Solid chromoly frame that should ride nicely. What size?
Old 02-09-11, 04:16 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
It should clean up and ride like new. Great find.
Old 02-09-11, 04:25 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I assume you are new to the interest in vintage bicycles. If so, allow me to invite you to my website, MY "TEN SPEEDS". The information is designed with both the novice and expert in mind. I do hope you have time to visit.
Old 02-09-11, 06:40 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, GeenZee.

Just a side note: your pics require Facebook membership. There are some Amish here who don't have that, myself included. If you want the pics to be visible to all, consider some of the myriad of free pic sharing web services (Picasa, Flickr, whathaveyou).

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 02-09-11, 05:03 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Forget facebook pic hosting, use photobucket or flickr.
Old 02-09-11, 05:27 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
welcome GeenZee. I can't see the pics but I am sure it is just my 'puter or something. depending on the style of the hubs you may be better of ditching the wheels and getting new ones.

OH here it is

yes I think I would certainly look into new wheels. you can pickup a decent pair for a bout $100 on some sites.

lots of MSG there

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-09-11, 07:31 PM
matt0ne

Bikes: 90s Gios Compact Pro. 80s Battaglin w/ Dura Ace 7400s. 70s Medici Pro Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm these pics look mighty familiar!
Old 02-09-11, 07:53 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Just a side note: your pics require Facebook membership. There are some Amish here who don't have that, myself included.
--J
No offence intended but.....what? I'm trying really hard to make the Facebook - Amish connection.
Old 02-09-11, 08:36 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
lots of MSG there
Yes, but soooo delicious!
Old 02-09-11, 08:39 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
No offence intended but.....what? I'm trying really hard to make the Facebook - Amish connection.
If he was Amish, he wouldn't even have a computer... You shouldn't be offending him. Lol.
Old 02-09-11, 08:42 PM
GeenZee
Stoked to Learn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome thanks!!! And yes i have just walked ankle deep in the ocean of vintage bikes i will join for sure!
Old 02-09-11, 08:46 PM
GeenZee
Stoked to Learn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by realestvin7
If he was Amish, he wouldn't even have a computer... You shouldn't be offending him. Lol.
HA! nice...thats what i was thinking but i'll do my best to keep it simple...KISS
Old 02-09-11, 08:57 PM
GeenZee
Stoked to Learn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
welcome GeenZee. I can't see the pics but I am sure it is just my 'puter or something. depending on the style of the hubs you may be better of ditching the wheels and getting new ones.
yea the Hubs are JoyTech don't know if those are good or not but i am gonna save them...as far as the size its a 56mm which i know is a bit big for me but its what i got now and i wanna fix it up....later on i will definitely get a more fitted vintage...either that or grow like 5 inches...TEEHEE >_<

but on a serious note is anyone selling any 27in wheel sets that aren't a fortune???
Old 02-09-11, 09:21 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Just a side note: your pics require Facebook membership. There are some Amish here who don't have that, myself included.
--J

No offence intended but.....what? I'm trying really hard to make the Facebook - Amish connection
Facebook is blocked in Lancaster..............no wait.......... that was Egypt. Never mind.
Old 02-09-11, 09:41 PM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeenZee
yea the Hubs are JoyTech don't know if those are good or not but i am gonna save them...as far as the size its a 56mm which i know is a bit big for me but its what i got now and i wanna fix it up....later on i will definitely get a more fitted vintage...either that or grow like 5 inches...TEEHEE >_<

but on a serious note is anyone selling any 27in wheel sets that aren't a fortune???
The joytech hubs aren't exactly wonderful, but if the previous owner did not ride too much in the rain or at least maintained them on a regular basis they should work fine for a while. You will have to maintain them often if you ride through the wet or dusty conditions, there are no seals and the grease gets nasty easily. My trash day 88 WS probably has the same joytech hubs and they're pitted to hell. Gotta say though that the araya rims are tough as nails. I abused the hell out of those wheels including several nasty pothole incidents and those rims are still great. Just wish the hubs were better quality.

I ended up replacing my wheels with the ones from harris cyclery (sheldon brown's old shop). The rear retains the freewheel hub, but they're the modern sealed bearing type. They are heavy duty 36spoke so I was happy. The Sun rims could be nicer though.

The original changstar brakes should have enough reach, but I got tired of adjusting the craptacular single pivot calipers all the time so just got a cheap set of long reach dual pivots (I think they were $25 including shipping on ebay). Oh that also means you might have to get a pair of cheap levers since those stock changstar levers SUCK. BTW I had to drill out the fork and rear brake bridge for the recessed nuts.

Here's a positive note: The indexed shimano drivetrain is GREAT. Sure they're stem mounted, but man they're smooth. I almost like them better than the ultegra 9spd and SRAM rival brifters I have on my nicer bikes. Almost!

All in all I must have spent $200 (and some spare parts/accessories) to turn my worldsport into a pretty nice utility/commuter bike. It's a very smooth ride. Oh and I feel like replacing the wheels and brakes made the bike noticeably lighter.

Here it is a few months ago near the unfinished brooklyn bridge park. I've since changed the tires to Vittoria Randonneurs. They don't roll as nice but they're tough and hard wearing, which is what I need on a commuter/rain bike.
Old 02-09-11, 11:28 PM
matt0ne

Bikes: 90s Gios Compact Pro. 80s Battaglin w/ Dura Ace 7400s. 70s Medici Pro Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeebusaurousrex
The joytech hubs aren't exactly wonderful, but if the previous owner did not ride too much in the rain or at least maintained them on a regular basis they should work fine for a while. You will have to maintain them often if you ride through the wet or dusty conditions, there are no seals and the grease gets nasty easily. My trash day 88 WS probably has the same joytech hubs and they're pitted to hell. Gotta say though that the araya rims are tough as nails. I abused the hell out of those wheels including several nasty pothole incidents and those rims are still great. Just wish the hubs were better quality.

I ended up replacing my wheels with the ones from harris cyclery (sheldon brown's old shop). The rear retains the freewheel hub, but they're the modern sealed bearing type. They are heavy duty 36spoke so I was happy. The Sun rims could be nicer though.

The original changstar brakes should have enough reach, but I got tired of adjusting the craptacular single pivot calipers all the time so just got a cheap set of long reach dual pivots (I think they were $25 including shipping on ebay). Oh that also means you might have to get a pair of cheap levers since those stock changstar levers SUCK. BTW I had to drill out the fork and rear brake bridge for the recessed nuts.

Here's a positive note: The indexed shimano drivetrain is GREAT. Sure they're stem mounted, but man they're smooth. I almost like them better than the ultegra 9spd and SRAM rival brifters I have on my nicer bikes. Almost!

All in all I must have spent $200 (and some spare parts/accessories) to turn my worldsport into a pretty nice utility/commuter bike. It's a very smooth ride. Oh and I feel like replacing the wheels and brakes made the bike noticeably lighter.

Here it is a few months ago near the unfinished brooklyn bridge park. I've since changed the tires to Vittoria Randonneurs. They don't roll as nice but they're tough and hard wearing, which is what I need on a commuter/rain bike.
very nice ride!
Old 02-10-11, 12:12 AM
GeenZee
Stoked to Learn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matt0ne
Hmmm these pics look mighty familiar!
indeed my friend indeed...ps yer picture looks like Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 02-10-11, 12:24 AM
GeenZee
Stoked to Learn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Love the bike!!! man sooo yea mine is definitely a 89 and is a long way off from look as clean as that...but about how much are the tires you bought for those nice shiny 27's? Also are the Vittoria Randonneurs the best for rain/commuter that you have used or the best that are made to date...
Old 02-10-11, 08:07 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
The brakes are easily the worst part of my wife's 1990 World Sport, I was considering replacing them with a set of dual pivot Tektros until recently (a better bike just came along...) I replaced the levers with a set of Shimano 600, then Tektro RL100A, but the calipers flex so much that there was no improvement in the braking.

Old 02-10-11, 10:20 AM
jeebusaurousrex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love the bike!!! man sooo yea mine is definitely a 89 and is a long way off from look as clean as that...but about how much are the tires you bought for those nice shiny 27's? Also are the Vittoria Randonneurs the best for rain/commuter that you have used or the best that are made to date...

If your frameset is straight, I wouldn't worry too much about a little surface rust or paint all too much. I see frames like ours being abused by delivery guys and commuters here in NYC and they're in piss poor shape, yet the frames keep on going and going...

The wheels I bought from Harris are 700c. I did that because 700c has a lot more tire choices. I'm not sure if they make the randonneurs for 27", but I got mine for "free" from another bike I bought. I think they're in the $20-30 range new? If you're keeping the original wheels, people seem to like Panaracer Pasela tourguards. One note of warning, the plain Pasela sized 27 x 1 1/4" was too tall and rubbed on the brake bridge on my world sport (frame size is 23").
Old 02-10-11, 10:34 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Nice find - good, solid bike. Head up to Seattle Center on Sunday and check out the bike swap - you might be able to find a complete wheelset or some longer reach brakes to allow you to go to 700c wheels. Experience has shown wheelsets are quite affordable at the swap meet. I passed up a set of nice aero style Campy tubular wheels with Campy hubs 2 yrs ago that was $15 because I wasn't riding sew ups. Guess what - a year later and I'm 95% tubulars and wishing I had bought that wheelset. I've seen several sets of 27" wheels there in the past.

Old 02-10-11, 10:41 AM
jeebusaurousrex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
The brakes are easily the worst part of my wife's 1990 World Sport, I was considering replacing them with a set of dual pivot Tektros until recently (a better bike just came along...) I replaced the levers with a set of Shimano 600, then Tektro RL100A, but the calipers flex so much that there was no improvement in the braking.
Nice bike! Looks like they overhauled the logos by that point.

My replacement brakes were a take off from a Cannondale (still has their logo), but they're rebranded tektros, not sure what model. I paired it with new short reach tektro levers and they stop much better than the changstars. Some flex but it could just be the cheap cable housing I used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.