Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

liking the Scott Foil 20

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

liking the Scott Foil 20

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 07:04 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
liking the Scott Foil 20

I walked into my LBS and they got in a Scott Foil 20 today. I have seen pictures and heard good/great things. Supposedly it is more aerodynamic than the cervelo S5 from the recent tests. (Could be wrong on that) I think a couple people on this forum have this bike. I'd love to see picts of your's if you have one, so post it up here.

pictures make it look good, but it is much sexier in person! I'm gonna be test riding one within the next couple weeks hopefully (Just for fun, not for purchasing anytime soon). At all angles this thing looks sexy, but when you look at it level and profile it has a very aggressive look to it. Out of the box, flip the stem and you got yourself a sexy race machine!

Let me see your picts if you got one!

Old 04-17-12, 10:13 PM
c0lnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a lot of them out there...supposedly they had seat clamp issues for a while. The GreenEdge Foil's look nice...I still prefer the R1 though.
Old 04-18-12, 04:01 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not more aero that S5. Supposed to be a great frame overall, and one of the best in overall performance. I haven't ridden one, but have seen a bunch and everyone I've seen who has one whom I've asked, loves it.
Old 04-18-12, 05:33 AM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
are they not that expensive? i'm seeing them alllllll the time around here. ive asked people if they like the kamm tail aero thing and mostly i hear "i guess".
Old 04-18-12, 06:09 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't see that being near as aero as the s5. Still sexy though
Old 04-18-12, 06:44 AM
jparillo

Bikes: Scott Foil 40, Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have mine on order should be in next week or sometime sooner. I test rode one for a whole week (my lbs rules) and I loved every minute of it. Compared to the other $2-2.5k bikes I test rode this was the stiffest but felt the most comfortable for my riding style on everything from steep gradients to flats.
Old 04-18-12, 07:35 AM
dayday82

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0. 2006 Iron Horse Azure Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kind of dig it... Scott's are usually out of the radar, atleast around here.
Old 04-18-12, 09:31 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Never been a big fan of Scott for some reason (just kind of bland and boring), but I recently saw this bike in a magazine ad thought it was very hot. That is a seriously good looking bike. Love the geometry, black paint and simple badging. Who gives a sh1t if it's "aero" or tortionally stiff? Like that would really matter to 99% of us.
Old 04-18-12, 09:35 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
their TDF ad was weird
Old 04-18-12, 09:36 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's hideously ugly and rides like a board, like every other 'aero' bike.

But if you want the speed and you've got the legs, I'm sure it's great.
Old 04-18-12, 10:07 AM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
Supposedly it is more aerodynamic than the cervelo S5 from the recent tests. (Could be wrong on that)
Tour recently did a test which had some people a little huffy over test protocol but it looked fairly sound. The S5, Venge and Felt AR were more aero than the Scott Foil and Litespeed C1. Though the Scott Foil and Litespeed were still a bit ahead of the control "non-aero" bike.

The Scott Foil did well as an all around bike, stiffness, weight, etc. Even the lower modulus frames come in under 1000 grams in the all black frame.

I saw one the other day at my LBS and really like the bike. I think it's great that manufacturers are coming up with compromises between aero, "aero"(you know the ones that say their aero but the manufacturer didn't go to the wind tunnel or use CFD) and non-aero bikes.
Old 04-18-12, 10:12 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
meh bike looks meh
Old 04-18-12, 11:57 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Triguy
Tour recently did a test which had some people a little huffy over test protocol but it looked fairly sound. The S5, Venge and Felt AR were more aero than the Scott Foil and Litespeed C1. Though the Scott Foil and Litespeed were still a bit ahead of the control "non-aero" bike.

The Scott Foil did well as an all around bike, stiffness, weight, etc. Even the lower modulus frames come in under 1000 grams in the all black frame.

I saw one the other day at my LBS and really like the bike. I think it's great that manufacturers are coming up with compromises between aero, "aero"(you know the ones that say their aero but the manufacturer didn't go to the wind tunnel or use CFD) and non-aero bikes.
What's the real world difference? Probably absolutely nothing. Both will go as fast as the rider can make it go.
Old 04-18-12, 12:31 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Really love the Foil. One of the stiffest, aero and lightest frames today made. Wish they didn't cost $3K for the frameset though. Ridiculous.

The seatpost clamp area is supposed to be an "cosmetic" issue according to their rep. Due to the design/clamping mechanism and torque required to hold the post from slipping, some cracking has occurred around that area. So they say.

Scott says production is high and availability has suffered worldwide. They have not halted production they claim due to the post/clamp area issue.

5yr warranty only to original seller..

Otherwise, you really can't go wrong if you race on one of these.
Old 04-18-12, 12:34 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
I can't see that being near as aero as the s5. Still sexy though

Ummm...it is. One of the most aero, lightest/stiffest road frames made today.
Old 04-18-12, 12:34 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with bianchi10... I think the Foil 20 looks pretty friggin' sweet.
Old 04-18-12, 12:35 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jparillo
I have mine on order should be in next week or sometime sooner. I test rode one for a whole week (my lbs rules) and I loved every minute of it. Compared to the other $2-2.5k bikes I test rode this was the stiffest but felt the most comfortable for my riding style on everything from steep gradients to flats.

Entire bike? Or just frameset?

Last I talked to my Scott dealer, they were still wanting $3K for the frameset....don't think so.
Old 04-18-12, 12:36 PM
JustinHorne

Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
Really love the Foil. One of the stiffest, aero and lightest frames today made. Wish they didn't cost $3K for the frameset though. Ridiculous.
I dunno where you got that price from.

The foil 40 (full build with 105) is barely over $2600, and that's at REI:

https://www.rei.com/product/828246/sc...:referralID=NA
Old 04-18-12, 12:42 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Looks great. They just got these in at my local shop. The owner said something about the Scott designer was brought in from an F1 design team for his aero expertise and that the bike was designed to be aero, but still light. Who knows how much of all that is marketing hype, but its a great looking bike.
Old 04-18-12, 02:28 PM
kyamei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinHorne

I believe only the Foil 10, Team, and Premium frames are sold as a frameset which is what he was referring to. Different carbon layup from the Foil 15/20/30/40 (HMX vs. HMF carbon).

Last edited by kyamei; 04-18-12 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 02:39 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
What's the real world difference? Probably absolutely nothing. Both will go as fast as the rider can make it go.
What if one frame is aerodynamically more efficient? On a long decent at +30mph, we could be talking a good gap.

Canyon's Aeroad for example is aerodynamically worse than a Cannondale Super Six. It is an "aero" bike.

Should aerodynamics be everyone's deciding factor in buying a bike? No. Could it be ONE LEGITIMATE, MEASURABLE, REAL WORLD difference between high end bikes? Yes

God damn it people are so resistant to science and facts sometimes... Are wind tunnels imaginary? Does science not exist? Last I checked, cyclists expend MOST of their energy overcoming AERODYNAMIC DRAG.

Anyways, studies have shown that aero testing through CFD correlates with wind tunnels. Studies have also shown that wind tunnel testing correlates very well with the "real world" as demonstrated most recently by Specialized through wind tunnel and velodrome testing. Though also by many bicycling enthusaists such as Robert Chung, Dr. Andrew Coggan and Tom Anhalt have demonstrated that wind tunnel testing and aerodynamics can be teased out on the road through power meter testing.

You can choose to see a test that shows a 3, 5 or 10 watt difference between frames aerodynamically and think whatever you want on why those bikes aren't a good fit for you and your riding style. However, you have to be a fool to think that just because testing takes place in a controlled environment that makes it inapplicable to cycling on the roads.

Anyways, as I said, I think it's awesome that Scott has demonstrated that one can make a road bike which checks the traditional roadie requirements like stiffness and weight while not making a complete aero disaster.
Old 04-18-12, 07:57 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JustinHorne

Team model is $3k. Premium etc. They use a different carbon layup.
Old 04-18-12, 08:00 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyamei
I believe only the Foil 10, Team, and Premium frames are sold as a frameset which is what he was referring to. Different carbon layup from the Foil 15/20/30/40 (HMX vs. HMF carbon).
Missed your post before...exactly.
Old 04-18-12, 08:01 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

You think 18w is barely better? The cervelo and venge were 23-24w. So yes, those are more aero, but the foil is still more aero than the cdale.

And yes, the testing was whacky, no cables or shifters, no water bottles?

Last edited by zigmeister; 04-18-12 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 09:34 PM
pgjackson

What if one frame is aerodynamically more efficient? On a long decent at +30mph, we could be talking a good gap.

Canyon's Aeroad for example is aerodynamically worse than a Cannondale Super Six. It is an "aero" bike.

Should aerodynamics be everyone's deciding factor in buying a bike? No. Could it be ONE LEGITIMATE, MEASURABLE, REAL WORLD difference between high end bikes? Yes

God damn it people are so resistant to science and facts sometimes... Are wind tunnels imaginary? Does science not exist? Last I checked, cyclists expend MOST of their energy overcoming AERODYNAMIC DRAG.

Anyways, studies have shown that aero testing through CFD correlates with wind tunnels. Studies have also shown that wind tunnel testing correlates very well with the "real world" as demonstrated most recently by Specialized through wind tunnel and velodrome testing. Though also by many bicycling enthusaists such as Robert Chung, Dr. Andrew Coggan and Tom Anhalt have demonstrated that wind tunnel testing and aerodynamics can be teased out on the road through power meter testing.

You can choose to see a test that shows a 3, 5 or 10 watt difference between frames aerodynamically and think whatever you want on why those bikes aren't a good fit for you and your riding style. However, you have to be a fool to think that just because testing takes place in a controlled environment that makes it inapplicable to cycling on the roads.

Anyways, as I said, I think it's awesome that Scott has demonstrated that one can make a road bike which checks the traditional roadie requirements like stiffness and weight while not making a complete aero disaster.
You would have to be a fool to believe that you could actually tell the difference. And yes, it is inapplicable to 99.9% of cyclists out there and 99.9% of real-world cycling conditions. Tires, wheels, seating position, pedal choice, bar tape, road imperfections...all of it could negate whatever real or perceived advantages an aero frame gives the rider. It's all a bunch of marketing to get guys like us to talk about it and guys with deep pockets to fork over a lot of cash just to say that their bike is superior. I thinks it's just a cool looking bike...but it won't make me one second faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.