Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ritchey saddles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ritchey saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 05:23 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Ritchey saddles?

Have any of you tried them. If so, what was your experience? I am mostly interested in the WCS Carbon Streem.
Old 04-19-12, 05:37 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Never tied the carbon but have the wcs streem with ti rails, and the wcs biomax on my other bike. Great stuff I like the biomax for the cut out center a tad better. Both saddles a light and the best value I have seen. I paid 75 and 85 for them weight on the scales correct or close 205-225. My rear says they are nice.

The carbon is just lighter but more $. If the had a cut out in the carbon I would probably bit the extra $. This is one of those products (richey) that I think are the hidden gems that exceed our expectations.
Old 04-19-12, 05:44 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by deacon mark
Never tied the carbon but have the wcs streem with ti rails, and the wcs biomax on my other bike. Great stuff I like the biomax for the cut out center a tad better. Both saddles a light and the best value I have seen. I paid 75 and 85 for them weight on the scales correct or close 205-225. My rear says they are nice.

The carbon is just lighter but more $. If the had a cut out in the carbon I would probably bit the extra $. This is one of those products (richey) that I think are the hidden gems that exceed our expectations.
Other than the cutout how does the padding compare between the Biomax and Streem?
Old 04-19-12, 07:07 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
About the same really almost no difference in feel of saddle except the cutout I can tell. I actually find both very comfortable but the cut out is good. Also I believe the carbon needs a special clamp or at least and adapter due to thicker rails. I think the carbons are about $140 and I am not going to be any faster for the extra $50-60. I suppose if money was burning I would go carbon but?
Old 04-19-12, 08:11 PM
trickky

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using the WCS Marathon. Comfortable, decent weight, but not overly padded as the description of it would have you believe. Seems to be similar to the Streem in some categories, I'm happy so far...
Old 04-20-12, 04:47 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by deacon mark
About the same really almost no difference in feel of saddle except the cutout I can tell. I actually find both very comfortable but the cut out is good. Also I believe the carbon needs a special clamp or at least and adapter due to thicker rails. I think the carbons are about $140 and I am not going to be any faster for the extra $50-60. I suppose if money was burning I would go carbon but?
I hadn't really given much thought to the Biomax but the cutout would probably help me out some. I was only looking the carbon version of the streem because I found it for a great price (under $100).
Old 04-20-12, 05:00 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I did around a thousand miles on a Comp Streem and was quite happy overall with the basic shape, the amount and type of padding as well as the build quality of the saddle. It wasn't perfect, but more comfortable for me than a Fizik Antares I'd bought to test out.

You might have noticed the past tense above. For some reason, a month ago, or so, it suddenly started poking me in the wrong way. I experimented angle and setback, but it simply felt as if my ichial tuberosities and rami have changed shapes. Since that is quite unlikely, I've concluded that it has developed a bit too much sag for me. I would gladly try out the biomax version if I came by one, but for now I'm experimenting with a Selle Italia Filante and it seems to work. I would still recommend Ritchey saddles to anyone if the shape works for them. They are very cheap to test - the cheapest Comp version has the same shell and padding as the more expensive versions; the only difference is the rails and cover material.

Last edited by Fiery; 04-20-12 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 05:17 PM
Triguy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a WCS biomax and its okay, better than most saddles for my personal fit needs but its not perfect. The cutout helps a little bit, but it's not generous enough in my opinion.
Old 04-20-12, 09:44 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to give the WCS Biomax a shot. Nothing can be worse than the stock saddle that came on my bike.

And because everyone likes pictures.