Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any one have an opinion on this? NY

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 11:08 AM
Sisyphus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting certified as a Spin instructor. But, does any one know how hard it is to get a job. I think it'll be fun, but not if I spend all the time looking for a gym to hire me. I'm in NY (Queens). Anyone got an idea of what the climate of the Spinning industry is like here? Thanks.
Old 01-06-05, 01:36 PM
ultra-g
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read about some guy who was in the Marines when he was 18-22 or something, came home, became morbidly obese, realized he was dying from being obese, lost about 300lbs. and became a spinning instructor at Crunch.

Don't know his name, but saw his picture in the ad and he's in seriously good shape.

Anyway, it's OT regarding your posting, but your question on spinning reminded me of his story.
Old 01-06-05, 09:16 PM
Figaro
Fortunatissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
I'm thinking about getting certified as a Spin instructor. But, does any one know how hard it is to get a job. I think it'll be fun, but not if I spend all the time looking for a gym to hire me. I'm in NY (Queens). Anyone got an idea of what the climate of the Spinning industry is like here? Thanks.
Availability and reliability are important. You need to be in the right place at the right time. I'm a yoga teacher, but the manager of the club where I work asked me to get certified. I said that I was only interested in subbing, since I'm busy with yoga. He still wanted me to get certified and, as a result, I do all the classes I want. I'm now in a small town (even though I spent most of my under-21 years in Queens!), so it's not very competitive here. Putting a good class together takes a lot of creativity and know how. In a competitive market, like NYC, you better have great music, interesting and stimulating (punishing?) classes, and be a high energy motivator. If you can get a foot in the door and you're the kind of teacher that brings people back to your class, you'll get ahead.