Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chose wrong bike for hill climbing, help!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-15-14, 08:28 AM
ThisIsNotMic

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sponsored runner. Injured knee, waiting for surgery and hooked on cycling. I went out and got a 2011 Trek 1.2 H Compact. It's been all I need, until I started to want to climb hills, rather, mountains, like Mt Washington. Here's the setup: 50/34 Compact crankset, 11-26 cassette. It's just not the gearing I need for climbing, it's been great riding around town and the small short steeps. I'm not a rich man and not looking to invest heavily until I see what happens with my surgery in the next couple months. Suggestions on a quick, inexpensive fix? I don't want to change the crank then change the derailleurs then the chain then brakes.... etc. Can I just pop out a middle cog and load in something else? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by ThisIsNotMic; 04-16-14 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Misinformation, wrong year bike
Old 04-15-14, 08:37 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Your request doesn't make sense. Why are you popping out a middle cog for hill climbing?

Your bike and your gearing looks fine for hill climbing.

The cheapest and best fix? Climbing is more dependent on the rider than descending and riding flats. The fatter you are, the more difficult hill climbing is. It's that simple. Get better at climbing and lose your gut. That's hill climbing. Also instead of climbing by maintaining speed, maintain effort. It's an endurance thing. Since you're a runner, you're probably already in much better shape than most of 41, if not all the 41 Then it's just practice.

Last edited by zymphad; 04-15-14 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 08:38 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34-28 should be a pretty good gearing for climbing unless its super steep. The biggest thing is unless you go super low gearing climbing is always going to put torque on that injured knee.

If you have the capacity in your RD you can possibly go with another cassette with a 30 or 32 big sprocket and that would help. Otherwise you're probably talking about needing a triple.
Old 04-15-14, 08:39 AM
therhodeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Your request doesn't make sense. Why are you popping out a middle cog for hill climbing?

Hill climbing is endurance, you have to practice. Go find big hills, ride them. Turn around, descend and then do it again. And again. Or find loop that has tons of hills and do it again day after day.

True some bikes are better for climbing. Super light carbon bikes are better for climbing than a heavy steel for example. But that's also dependent on the rider, if you're not fat and good at it.

Climbing is more dependent on the rider than descending and riding flats. The fatter you are, the more difficult hill climbing is. It's that simple.
Sponsored runner. I doubt he's very fat. Also has injured knees. He doesn't need to be out doing hill repeats. Once again you prove to be just a fountain of awesome information.
Old 04-15-14, 08:43 AM
zymphad

Originally Posted by therhodeo
Sponsored runner. I doubt he's very fat. Also has injured knees. He doesn't need to be out doing hill repeats. Once again you prove to be just a fountain of awesome information.
Then what's your magic bullet to hill climbing other than to practice. If he's got an injured knee and worried about it, he shouldn't be trying to climb hills then. Once again, your post was useless.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Does he need a new RD to accommodate that?
Old 04-15-14, 08:50 AM
ThisIsNotMic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man oh man! Listen, there's a huge stigma about cyclists kind of being dicks, and zymphad you just are helping the case. I'm not fat and I'm in good shape, I'm just not in "cycling shape". My knee has plica syndrome, it doesn't seem to be effected by cycling, though I've only been at it 2 weeks and have only done 100 miles each week. The gearing has been fine for all but the steepest hills, but that's what I"m looking at going after. The 12% for 4-7 miles type stuff that we have in the Northeast, like Ascutney Mountain and Mount Washington. I can climb 12-15% for about a mile right now, but I'm watching others do it with 28-28 and they're not suffering as much as I am. (again, I'm not dumb, I know climbing hills makes climbing hills easier, practice, train, etc. I don't think I can hop on a bike and pedal up a mountain and it's going to be easy, I just thought a change in gearing might help while I build up)
Old 04-15-14, 08:53 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mount Washington is one of the hardest climbs in America if the OP references New Hampshire. It is an extreme example but it sounds like he lives in an area with very steep climbs. Keeping knee pressure down means keeping cadence up. Moving from a 28 to a 30 probably isn't enough.

My opinion -- get a mountain cassette / RD to start with the biggest cog you can find -- 12 to 36, for example. If 34/36 is still not enough, then change the crankset / FD / shifter for a triple with as small a granny as you can find. Your bike shop should be able to guide you to compatible parts.

Ignore the imaginary ties between climbing skill and gear ratios that some people believe in. The physics are all that matter.
Old 04-15-14, 08:53 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
The simple answer is to not ride hills. There is no bike on the planet that is going to make hills easier. Your gearing is fine. The problem is that you are injured. You should not be riding up mountains. There is no easy fix for riding hills. Even uninjured, experienced riders struggle with hills. The easy fix it to fix your knee.
Old 04-15-14, 08:54 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sram wi-fli is probably the cheapest option. You may need a triple, though.
Old 04-15-14, 08:54 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
The 16 tooth spread on your crankset is the most you can expect to work smoothly...so putting a 30 tooth in place of the 34 tooth small ring wouldn't work. Finding a used triple might get you what you need...a 50/39/30 would help but you might not have the front shifter to allow it. Putting a mountain cassette (11-34) on the back might require you to switch to a mountain derailleur (and buy a new chain).

So...a quick, inexpensive fix? I'd go the mountain cassette route...online you could probably find a cassette for $60 (less if used), the derailleur (if needed) for $50 and a chain for $20. Then if you don't know how to install it all, $20 - $30 to the shop.

What "Mt. Washington" is this? What sort of grade are we talking about here?

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 04-15-14, 08:56 AM
Jakedatc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
riding hills takes work like zymphad said.. 34-28 is a pretty damn low gear. if you are awaiting a surgery perhaps you shouldn't be doing anything that needs more gear than that. quick inexpensive fix. Ride what you have, avoid giant hills that you can't do yet. If you're from NH then you should know what roads and notches to stay out of.

ps you can only ride mt washington twice a year and it costs like 500 bucks to do so... so..... yea.
Old 04-15-14, 08:58 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMic
Man oh man! Listen, there's a huge stigma about cyclists kind of being dicks, and zymphad you just are helping the case. I'm not fat and I'm in good shape, I'm just not in "cycling shape". My knee has plica syndrome, it doesn't seem to be effected by cycling, though I've only been at it 2 weeks and have only done 100 miles each week. The gearing has been fine for all but the steepest hills, but that's what I"m looking at going after. The 12% for 4-7 miles type stuff that we have in the Northeast, like Ascutney Mountain and Mount Washington. I can climb 12-15% for about a mile right now, but I'm watching others do it with 28-28 and they're not suffering as much as I am. (again, I'm not dumb, I know climbing hills makes climbing hills easier, practice, train, etc. I don't think I can hop on a bike and pedal up a mountain and it's going to be easy, I just thought a change in gearing might help while I build up)
Another thing to consider...running ability has no bearing on cycling ability. Just because you might be an elite runner doesn't mean you will be able to beat the fat guys riding up the hills. It's a completely different activity. It is going to take time for you to build up your cycling stamina.
Old 04-15-14, 09:00 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
The simple answer is to not ride hills. There is no bike on the planet that is going to make hills easier. Your gearing is fine. The problem is that you are injured. You should not be riding up mountains. There is no easy fix for riding hills. Even uninjured, experienced riders struggle with hills. The easy fix it to fix your knee.
Might be good practical advice, but technically it's not true. With an easy enough gear, any hill is possible. Say he wants to average 50 watts. He could do it with the right gearing.
Old 04-15-14, 09:04 AM
zymphad

I do not think I am a dick and I think my advice is sound. If anyone wants to ride hills, the best fix is to work hard and practice. How is that being a dick?

If you have an injured knee, you probably shouldn't be putting stress on it. Just because cycling is a low impact sport doesn't mean the knees aren't subjected to stress like hill climbing.

As for weight, that's not being a dick either. That's the way it is. Hill climbing gets progressively worse the fatter a person is. That's reality, it's a fact. It's not mean, it's not nice. That's just the way it is. Even great runners will have more upper body mass than great cyclists.

Good luck with hill climbing on an injured knee. Maybe these suggestions for a triple and mountain cassette will help. Those don't sound like inexpensive fixes since you will need new cassette, rear derailleur and a new triple crank and new front derailleur. Possibly a new shifter since I know my shifter is a double, not triple.

I don't see how bikers are more dicks than runners are. I ran, but recently slacked off. But I remember, running was always about PR, and the only way to get better was to work hard at it. I don't see how cycling is any different in mentality than running is or why cyclists would be bigger dicks. The only dicks would be someone who judges a cyclist based on how little they spent on their bike which is stupid.

Last edited by zymphad; 04-15-14 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 09:07 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by DXchulo
Might be good practical advice, but technically it's not true. With an easy enough gear, any hill is possible. Say he wants to average 50 watts. He could do it with the right gearing.
Agree. However the OP said he didn't have a lot of money to invest...and switching cassettes, chain rings, going to a triple, possibly having to add new deraileurs and shifter...that will be expensive and labor intensive. The OP's best bet is to avoid hills until he starts rehabing after surgery.

Actually, the OP didn't say what the actual issue is? Are hills causing pain or is he just struggling to get up the hills? I think that since he is an elite runner he's used to being faster than everyone else. I'm guessing he's getting passed on the hills and thinking something is wrong with his bike. The ONLY way to get faster on hills is to ride hills.
Old 04-15-14, 09:08 AM
therhodeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only in the 41.
Old 04-15-14, 09:12 AM
ThisIsNotMic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Another thing to consider...running ability has no bearing on cycling ability. Just because you might be an elite runner doesn't mean you will be able to beat the fat guys riding up the hills. It's a completely different activity. It is going to take time for you to build up your cycling stamina.
As stated in the post that you quoted but obviously did not read, I wrote: (again, I'm not dumb, I know climbing hills makes climbing hills easier, practice, train, etc. I don't think I can hop on a bike and pedal up a mountain and it's going to be easy, I just thought a change in gearing might help while I build up)

I know it's different, and I know the best thing for me is to keep riding hills to build up the "climbing muscles".
Old 04-15-14, 09:15 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I have 2 of these...$22.00

Just change the cassette, nothing else needed.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ca...FU4R7AodT1MATA

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 04-15-14 at 09:53 AM.
Jakedatc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
actually, you're the one being a dick. you asked a question. got an answer that required work instead of equipment changes that you said you didn't want to do.

you've only been riding a few weeks and are saying you want do do some of the hardest hill climbs in the state. people TRAIN just to do those hills. they train on OTHER hills so they can get good enough to do those big ones. Hell i'm pretty damn good at climbing hills, ride 2-3000mi/year and still would hurt on those hills. people don't walk in off the street and do a sub 15 5k do they?

Northeastcycling.com - Hillclimb Races for those who are not from around here.. these are some of the things he is talking about.
HTFU.
ThisIsNotMic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP HERE. All these conversations are either not reading what I've written or not understanding. Shortest I can write this: I am a sponsored runner (not fat), I had to stop running due to Plica syndrome in my knee. I can still swim, I can still bike, I just can't run. I get surgery in a month or two. DOES NOT AFFECT CYCLING. I want to climb Mt Ascutney (12% grade for 3.7 miles) and Mt Washington (12% grade for 7.6 miles). Just wondering if there was a way to get a better "granny gear" for hill climbing. I can climb 12% for a mile, but can tell I would have trouble holding that exertion for the duration. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-15-14, 09:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
As stated in the post that you quoted but obviously did not read, I wrote: (again, I'm not dumb, I know climbing hills makes climbing hills easier, practice, train, etc. I don't think I can hop on a bike and pedal up a mountain and it's going to be easy, I just thought a change in gearing might help while I build up)

I know it's different, and I know the best thing for me is to keep riding hills to build up the "climbing muscles".
Your gearing is fine. Give it another month and your cycling-specific muscles will adapt and it will be a lot easier. Two weeks isn't much, no matter how much running fitness you have.
Old 04-15-14, 09:18 AM
pgjackson

Dude, you only have three posts here and you already called one person a dick and now you are trying to call me out. I suggest if you are being sincere in your original post that you chill out and tone it down. People are honestly trying to answer your question.
Old 04-15-14, 09:18 AM
ThisIsNotMic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Jake, I'm not afraid of doing work and wasn't being a dick. As I acknowledge at the bottom of that referenced post, I know it's not easy and know the number one thing I need to do is climb hills. I completely understand this, and that's what I've been doing: hill repeats, hill sprints, long hill rides. I understand how to train. But I also understand that my buddy who climbs hills does so in 28-28, so I was wondering what someone else might do if that was their goal and they had my bike.
Old 04-15-14, 09:25 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, any real difference will cost a new cassette, RD, and chain at the very least.

Personally, I'd be looking out for a used triple group.
Old 04-15-14, 09:26 AM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I've got a Specialized Roubaix triple with 28-38-50 chain rings and a 11-32 rear cassette. Even with that combination I would REALLY struggle getting up Mt. Washington! I'd probably want a 12-36 rear cassette with a 26 tooth chain ring. Spin mightily and enjoy the view!

Posters that are saying just ride more hills, get stronger or your gearing should be fine, have never ridden, or driven up the Mt Washington access road. Their just blowing smoke!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.