Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threading QR skewer - possible or desirable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 05:21 AM
Proofide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Last edited by Proofide; 03-21-22 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-11-14, 05:51 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Someone will chime in with more definitive info in a bit, but I think I remember that skewers, like spokes, have their threads rolled on and not cut in. So simply using a tap will not work.

Hopefully I am wrong and your plan will work.

Jim
Old 09-11-14, 07:22 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
Someone will chime in with more definitive info in a bit, but I think I remember that skewers, like spokes, have their threads rolled on and not cut in. So simply using a tap will not work.

Hopefully I am wrong and your plan will work.

Jim
Jim is correct, the threads (standard M5x0.8 incidentally) on skewers are rolled, not cut. I just checked and miked several Shimano skewers I have in my parts boxes. The threads measure slightly larger in diameter (0.192", 4.88 mm) then a short (~5 mm) section of unthreaded skewer just inboard of the threads which is (0.178", 4.52 mm) and further inside of that, the skewer's unthreaded diameter increases again (0.198", 5.03 mm) where it passes through the hub.

All of the above measurements demonstrate that the OEM threads are rolled and continuing them with a die is impractical. Buy the right one.

Last edited by HillRider; 09-11-14 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-11-14, 07:47 AM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The minimum recommended major diameter for an M5 thread is 4.826mm. You can mic yours behind the threads and see if it's thick enough to die. The only concern I would have is hardness. Rolled threads are worked hardened. Did the manufacturer anneal them afterwards to bring them back to base metal hardness or did he rely on the cold working process to bring the threads to a higher, more preferred, level of hardness?
Old 09-11-14, 07:54 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
FWIW, there seem to be plenty of front Shimano skewers available on line:

Amazon.com: shimano front quick release skewer

And since the front wheel isn't driven by the chain, an open-cam type skewer ought to be fine there anyway.
Old 09-11-14, 10:19 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thread rolling is a neat process :-). If you have a look at a decent sized C clamp you will see the threads are rolled..the bigger and better the clamp the easier it is to see that.

To simplify picture taking a 3/8" rod and rolling a 1/2" (not exact dia, exaggeration for example) thread on it......as the thread is rolled the dia. gets bigger in the process, and it is a lot stronger than a thread cut into a 1/2" shaft typically. Most bolts are made this way.

One place I worked they rolled the threads onto spindles for automotive use.

Bill
Old 09-11-14, 10:40 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Proofide
To John D. above, I'm sure external cam skewers front and rear would be perfectly fine...
If your Dawes has forward-facing horizontal dropouts, I wouldn't recommend an open CAM lever on the rear. The open cam design clamps less forcefully than the closed cam design and is intended only for vertical dropouts where axle slip isn't an issue.
Old 09-11-14, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Also you can consider a hex head skewer , then you tighten it with a wrench , putting a Star washer on the ends will let it bite into the dropout better.

to resist the rear wheel pulling ..

of course it is also relatively simple to just replace the hollow axle with a longer solid one, fixed with nuts, the inconvenience is its own theft deterrent.
Old 09-11-14, 11:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Discounting for the moment the question of hardness, it's a basic question of diameter.

A rolled thread would have a blank diameter slightly larger than 4.5mm, since the thread is raised from that. A cut thread would call for a blank of 5mm matching the OD of the thread cut into it. However, many skewers have diameters larger than 5mm, and only the threaded area is turned down. Thread dies, cannot remove excess material beyond the thread diameter, so any work area not 5mm or very close cannot be threaded.

So you start by measuring the skewer to see if cutting is possible, then it's a question of the material and hardness. Many skewers are hardened beyond where threads can be cut, but not all, so if the diameter is 5mm (or you can turn it to 5mm) then threading might be possible.

BTW- NOS basic Internal cam front and rear skewers are still out there, as are more modern external cam designs. With a bit of effort you should be able to find a matched pair at reasonable cost, probably close to what a good quality button die might run.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-11-14 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 09:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Question - What difference would it make if a thread is rolled or cut if it's a standard size such as xx" X yy tpi? If it meets the standards for ID, OD pitch diameter etc. wouldn't a die roll down it? A nut can thread on it no matter how the threads were formed. I get FB's point about the blank starting out at different diameters and how that comes into play. I've often extended threads on bolts at work that I know are rolled thread with a die (not so easy on ˝ SS). I also second the point of buying the die is probably a wash pricewise of getting the correct skewer.
Old 09-11-14, 10:31 PM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Proofide
Now you mention it, I recall looking at a C clamp and noticing that the threads had an unusual form, but thought no more about it. I found a chap on Ebay over here who's offering pairs of the same skewers of which I have two rear ones, new old stock, for Ł9.99. Unfortunately, they're out of stock at the moment.
They look like an ACME type thread to me on a C clamp...but that is a separate issue from rolled vs cut threads.

Bill
Old 09-11-14, 10:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by dedhed
Question - What difference would it make if a thread is rolled or cut if it's a standard size such as xx" X yy tpi? .... I get FB's point about the blank starting out at different diameters and how that comes into play. I've often extended threads on bolts at work that I know are rolled thread with a die ....
For most practical purposes a thread is a thread regardless of how it's made. So a die, like the nut the thread is made for would run down it just fine. The rolled vs. cut thrad diameter issue is only an issue as it relates to the blank area now to be threaded. This can be anything, because only the threaded area might have been turned down to the right blank diameter.

For example, most high quality bolts are cold headed, and have rolled threads. But the blank area beyond the thread is as large or larger than the thread diameter, so extending by cutting might be possible (if the material allows).

So the OPs issue isn't how the threads were made, but what he's working with in the area where he plans to cut.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-11-14, 11:06 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Shimano skewers are still internal cams. The Dura-Ace 9000 wheelset came with 2 matching DA internal skewers. Just search ebay for "shimano front skewer" you should get all the hits you need.

Here's an un-used Ultegra front skewer ~$15 shipped-- Ultegra Front Skewer | eBay

Or an older Shimano for $9 shipped Shimano Quick Release Skewer Front Axle 100mm | eBay

Not sure about shipping to England, I would imagine you could find similar on ebay.uk.
Old 09-12-14, 08:26 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
For most practical purposes a thread is a thread regardless of how it's made. So a die, like the nut the thread is made for would run down it just fine. The rolled vs. cut thrad diameter issue is only an issue as it relates to the blank area now to be threaded. This can be anything, because only the threaded area might have been turned down to the right blank diameter.

For example, most high quality bolts are cold headed, and have rolled threads. But the blank area beyond the thread is as large or larger than the thread diameter, so extending by cutting might be possible (if the material allows).

So the OPs issue isn't how the threads were made, but what he's working with in the area where he plans to cut.
BUT if that bolt is a Grade 8 bolt for example, running those threads back with a die means it is for sure no longer as strong as it was :-). How much so is a crap shoot.

Bill
Old 09-12-14, 08:55 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Willbird
BUT if that bolt is a Grade 8 bolt for example, running those threads back with a die means it is for sure no longer as strong as it was :-). How much so is a crap shoot.

Bill
The resulting threads will be as strong as any cut threads on a bolt of that size. They will be slightly weaker than rolled threads would have been, but that refers to the thread strength only. The bolts breaking strength is about the same, since the rood diameter and core material are the same.

However, it's a non issue. Odds are you couldn't thread a grade 8 bolt with a button die anyway.

Old 09-12-14, 09:26 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The resulting threads will be as strong as any cut threads on a bolt of that size. They will be slightly weaker than rolled threads would have been, but that refers to the thread strength only. The bolts breaking strength is about the same, since the rood diameter and core material are the same.

However, it's a non issue. Odds are you couldn't thread a grade 8 bolt with a button die anyway.
Had to look that one up :-).......yea 48 Rockwell C is pretty hard :-).
Old 09-12-14, 11:03 AM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Swaging a thread can make the thread fatter than the rod it's swaged from, which seems to be the case in Hillrider's example.
Old 09-12-14, 11:08 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Velo Orange has nice internal cam skewers at a very reasonable price, and they are also available through other online retailers.

VO Quick Release Skewers - Skewers - Wheels, Rims, Hubs & Accessories - Components
Old 09-12-14, 11:30 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Coal Buster
Swaging a thread can make the thread fatter than the rod it's swaged from, which seems to be the case in Hillrider's example.
You quoted from a follow up post. See post no.12 for the big picture.

Old 09-12-14, 08:23 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Sometimes we use a spacer washer between the inside of the axle and the frame to allow a shorter axle to be used with wider spacing. Is there anything wrong with just using a couple of spacer shims on the outside instead and using the longer skewer the OP has? If it were me, I'd certainky be considering this as the easiest fix...
Old 09-12-14, 08:33 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Finding a matching set of QR skewers should not be difficult at all... maybe ask your local bike shop if they have any and you can't go wrong with Shimano as their closed cam units are very good.
Old 09-12-14, 08:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
What kind of hubs are you running ?

I am sure that folks here could provide a match.
Old 09-12-14, 08:51 PM
FBinNY 

The OP is in the UK so what's available is probably different than whats' on this side. Shipping from the USA can be pretty pricey compared to the stakes.

OTOH the holding power needed for a front wheel is pretty low, so either internal or external cam is going to be fine. But, reliability is paramount, so I wouldn't do anything that has the least reason to not trust it. Skewers are cheap, peace of mind is priceless.