Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Looking at buying a Specialized Secteur...But wheels?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Looking at buying a Specialized Secteur...But wheels?

Old 08-23-13, 11:59 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by copswithguns
Now I'm wondering if I should go triple chainring or double. I live in a very hilly area. It's not uncommon for me to climb 250+ feet of elevation in a 1-2 mile stretch, depending on where I ride.
Only you know your fitness level, but this is what stands out to me:

....I bought a Specialized Expedition Sport a month ago to get back into biking. ......I'm now already down to 312 and falling,
Riding: 1 month
Terain: Very hilly
Weight: 312 and falling (nice job, btw! )
Current Gearing: Triple

Question: Do you use your smallest chainring now?

I'm thinking that a triple would be a good move for you, however, like I said above, only you know your current physical condition.
Old 08-23-13, 11:59 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Go triple....nice to have the low gears when you need them.
than not have them and need them

Weight weenies and others get all bent over that third ring, but really?

All of my bikes are triples, and it's rare that I need that small one, but if I took my bike somewhere with hills, it'll be nice to have that option
Old 08-23-13, 12:03 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Question: Do you use your smallest chainring now?

I'm thinking that a triple would be a good move for you, however, like I said above, only you know your current physical condition.
I'm starting to use it less and less as I go. The hills are getting easier, which just makes sense. But, yes, I do find myself using the low gears when I'm 12 miles in and looking at a steep hill. I think I'll go with the triple. I can always upgrade/change out later down the road.
Old 08-23-13, 12:24 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't listen to this guy. He's an idiot!

Thinking through this more: The Sport comes with a compact crank and a 11-30 cassette. That's pretty low. I'm 245, have a muscular deficiency in my right leg and climb hills with a compact 12-28. Yes, I wish I had gone 12-30, but I manage with the 12-28. For me, I would rather have the compact with big cassette than the 2300 level components in a triple. The 2300 isn't terrible, but I prefer a slightly higher level of components. Others will feel differently.

I like the Expert the best (obviou$ly), but it's a 105/mix with compact and 12-30 cassette. The difference between the 11-30 and 12-30 is tighter gearing in the middle (smaller jumps between gears). The drawback is on the downhills you can spin out of a 12 a lot easier than an 11. I would have liked one more gear on some of the decents on our group century last week, but then realized, I'm doing 30-something miles an hour downhill. Rest the legs and enjoy the ride. This isn't a race!

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 08-23-13 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 03:42 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Don't listen to this guy. He's an idiot!
Agreed. I stopped asking him for advice a long time ago
Old 08-25-13, 10:22 AM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to choose between a Secteur and a Rubaix just recently. I chose the Rubaix. It was a lighter bike and felt livelier to me. The Secteur was smooth as can be. Even smoother than the Rubaix. The Secteur was a heavier bike. I had to change the rear gearing on the Rubaix. I went from (Apex) 11-32 to 11-36 and used an X-9 mountain set up.

I would add my reccomendations for a triple as well. It really would be a perfect set up on a Secteur. I would reccomend whatever front you can get (2300,Sora or 105) . And be damn sure you get a medium cage rear. Be aware a triple will put you over the chain wrap spec for a standard rear derailer. I blew an Ultegra rear apart due to lack of chain wrap. I replaced it with a 105 medium and still have a 3 tooth deficit. But it should be OK.

So be careful with swapping cassettes and cranks. I think a 30-39-50 Sora front with 12-30 rear and an 105 medium or Tiargra rear would be great. BTW don't skimp on the chain. I put a SRAM PC-1071 on my new bike. The KMC10X was new. But the 1071 is light years better shifting. And is quieter too boot. You will need more links to make the newer gearing fit.

To top it off. A Secreur with a tripple and 12-30 rear would be a phenominal choice my freind. Get it you can thank me later.

Mark Shuman
Old 08-25-13, 10:46 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
And for others who may read this, PARTICULARLY those considering a hybrid/recreational bike ... please note, the OP has ridden this bike for a MONTH and is already looking at a racier bike. THIS is exactly why I rarely support the idea of hybrids/rec bikes and why I pretty much loathe them on the whole.
Risking going off-topic, I must ask... I've read your other posts and see your point about not liking hybrid bikes in general, but does your feeling apply to all types of hybrid bikes? As I understand it, "hybrid" is a fairly broad category that can include bikes of quite different geometries. Some are closer to MTBs, others to road bikes. I could see myself "outgrowing" an Expedition Sport in a month, but I don't think I can say the same about my Trek FX. I've accumulated over 150 miles on it since I bought it a week ago, and I'm liking every minute of the ride. I use it for commuting, casual rides around the hood, grocery shopping and (mostly paved) trail runs.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-26-13, 07:28 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daihard
Risking going off-topic, I must ask... I've read your other posts and see your point about not liking hybrid bikes in general, but does your feeling apply to all types of hybrid bikes? As I understand it, "hybrid" is a fairly broad category that can include bikes of quite different geometries. Some are closer to MTBs, others to road bikes. I could see myself "outgrowing" an Expedition Sport in a month, but I don't think I can say the same about my Trek FX. I've accumulated over 150 miles on it since I bought it a week ago, and I'm liking every minute of the ride. I use it for commuting, casual rides around the hood, grocery shopping and (mostly paved) trail runs.
Honestly, the funny thing is I HAVE recommended a hybrid to people now and then, based on their needs.

But there's generally a specific case when I don't. It's the Clyde, turning to biking to lose weight and get in shape, that isn't super obese (350+). He says he's going to use it generally on the road, etc, but is clear about wanting to use the bike as a tool to lose weight.

The problem in those cases, and this is just my opinion, is he's going to start riding it, get hooked and THEN desire a new road bike.

Now granted, I believe in N+1 as a way of life, but in instances like this, it seems to me like we're doing our fellow Clydes a disservice by originally recommending them a hybrid, or worse, a comfort bike. I say that because when someone turns to cycling as a means of weight loss, they run the potential of becoming discouraged by it if they feel like they bought the wrong bike. In my opinion, too many of us turn to those bikes out of fear (will it hold me? will I break it?) or convenience or worse, a want to be comfortable while trying to lose weight.

Not saying you have to be miserable, but losing weight and cycling can, and sometimes should, be hard work that makes you uncomfortable. That's the problem for many of us. We've been "comfortable" for too long.

Unless you have a physical reason (handicap, other medical issue), you SHOULD be reminded of your gut when you're riding in the drops of a road bike. It reminds you to keep riding. You should feel somewhat fatigued in your back because your core is out of shape. It reminds you of the need to do core work (and I'm guilty of not doing it).

Again, I'm not saying you should be miserable, but you shouldn't be "comfortable" either.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Suffice it to say, each case warrants unique consideration, and I've recommended hybrid bikes in the past. They're just not my first suggestion.
Old 08-26-13, 04:09 PM
Divtos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id go with the "use the wheels that come with the bike till they give you a problem". That said I've never had any luck with stock wheels. Currently Im using a set I had built. Velocity Deep Vs with 36 spokes in the back have been great for a year+ now. You might try https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...72_-1___202356 (Vuelta Corsa HD Road Wheelset) if the stock wheels don't work out.
Old 08-26-13, 04:57 PM
veerod82

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport Disc,Giant Escape 2,Raleigh Capri 1.0, New to me Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm now already down to 312 and falling
I have been riding the 2013 Secteur Sport Disc with the stock 28c tires and stock wheels. I have over 1000 miles in about 5 months. The longest ride for me was 40 miles, I try to ride about an hour when i am able, (about 10-14 miles) on a local bike path and also some 20 mile rides around the city. I have had zero issues with my wheels. Every time i hear a strange noise i assume the time has come that i broke a spoke, but so far so good. I am 5'11" 300 lbs.
Old 08-26-13, 06:51 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
But there's generally a specific case when I don't. It's the Clyde, turning to biking to lose weight and get in shape, that isn't super obese (350+). He says he's going to use it generally on the road, etc, but is clear about wanting to use the bike as a tool to lose weight.

The problem in those cases, and this is just my opinion, is he's going to start riding it, get hooked and THEN desire a new road bike.

Now granted, I believe in N+1 as a way of life, but in instances like this, it seems to me like we're doing our fellow Clydes a disservice by originally recommending them a hybrid, or worse, a comfort bike. I say that because when someone turns to cycling as a means of weight loss, they run the potential of becoming discouraged by it if they feel like they bought the wrong bike. In my opinion, too many of us turn to those bikes out of fear (will it hold me? will I break it?) or convenience or worse, a want to be comfortable while trying to lose weight.

Not saying you have to be miserable, but losing weight and cycling can, and sometimes should, be hard work that makes you uncomfortable. That's the problem for many of us. We've been "comfortable" for too long.

Unless you have a physical reason (handicap, other medical issue), you SHOULD be reminded of your gut when you're riding in the drops of a road bike. It reminds you to keep riding. You should feel somewhat fatigued in your back because your core is out of shape. It reminds you of the need to do core work (and I'm guilty of not doing it).

Again, I'm not saying you should be miserable, but you shouldn't be "comfortable" either.
Thanks for your reply! Your reasoning makes a lot of sense. You took the time to explain to me what your thoughts behind your belief are, in clear and easy-to-understand terms. I truly appreciate that.

I must confess that I never realized that this thread belongs to the Clydesdales/Athenas forum until you mentioned it. I typically browse the "New Ports" section and pick the threads that have interesting titles. I need to pay more attention to details.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-27-13, 09:51 AM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veerod82
I have been riding the 2013 Secteur Sport Disc with the stock 28c tires and stock wheels. I have over 1000 miles in about 5 months. The longest ride for me was 40 miles, I try to ride about an hour when i am able, (about 10-14 miles) on a local bike path and also some 20 mile rides around the city. I have had zero issues with my wheels. Every time i hear a strange noise i assume the time has come that i broke a spoke, but so far so good. I am 5'11" 300 lbs.
Thank you. I'm feeling more confident now that I see this. I'm 308 as of this morning (12 lbs lost in exactly 3 weeks) and I think by the time I have the money for my Secteur I'll be well below the 300 mark. I was doing Insanity last winter (which really is insane, btw) and am frustrated with myself because I was down to 288 at one point and just let myself go. Hoping that I can keep going at this pace. I definitely feel much better on a day-to-day basis and am getting stronger and better and climbing. But I'm definitely "topped out" on straights with my current bike; riding in top gear and max RPMs and still feel like I'm cruising.