Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Oh No! Not Another Lame Tire Thread!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 05:47 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts

Sadly, yes. I'll be putting some different skins on my Bilenky for my tour this year, and I would love to hear if there is any fresh new hotness that anyone recommends. My go to has always been Schwalbes, but despite their inherent ruggedness, they handle like wooden wagon wheels. I'll be toting about 40lbs of kit, not including water, and I hope to be running something like a 32mm, which are the gatorskins that I now have on it.

Can anyone offer me some good advice? Oh, I'm 71" and weigh 200lbs.
Old 11-08-19, 08:39 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Most of my touring has been on Schwalbes & Continentals, as you've already mentioned, but right now, I have a Specialized on the rear, and a Serfas on the front. This is a matter of availability, but both are holding up quite well, so far, with the required Slime inner tubes. 👍
Likes For stardognine:
Old 11-08-19, 09:36 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
My wife fears flats more than death itself, so recently I put Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on her touring bike. Peace of mind for her, but secretly I did this in hoping that it might slow her down a bit and I just might not get dropped so easily.
Old 11-08-19, 09:57 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by stardognine
Most of my touring has been on Schwalbes & Continentals, as you've already mentioned, but right now, I have a Specialized on the rear, and a Serfas on the front. This is a matter of availability, but both are holding up quite well, so far, with the required Slime inner tubes. 👍
Do you find that the combination of the lighter tire, along with the Slime innertube, is a more desirable option than the balls-out Schwalbe flat-proof tires alone?
Old 11-08-19, 09:58 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by robow
My wife fears flats more than death itself, so recently I put Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on her touring bike. Peace of mind for her, but secretly I did this in hoping that it might slow her down a bit and I just might not get dropped so easily.
I know, right! My wife gets on her steed and churns my butter. I feel like I'm always playing catch-up.
Old 11-08-19, 10:23 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Schwalbe makes a lot of tires besides the heavy-duty models, what about the Marathon Supreme? OTOH while I haven't tried Gatorskins they seem to get good reviews. I've been thinking about Schwalbe G-One tires--pretty light yet with a semi-knobby tread, seems it would work pretty well on-road or off.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 11-09-19, 05:20 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Schwalbe makes a lot of tires besides the heavy-duty models
Yeah, the OP seems to assume a lot about a tire based on the brand. Schwalbe, Continental, and most brands make a wide range of models. As a result the question is kind of muddled. That said it sounds like the Op is planning on fairly heavy touring and I am guessing on pavement, so yeah maybe the Supreme or Gatorskin. I have been pretty happy with Gatorskins, but for my usage (much lighter packing style) I am thinking of going to a lighter tire.
Old 11-09-19, 06:17 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Supremes wear super quickly and they aren't all that punture resistant. They are very fast though.

It's always a compromize. Would be nice if there were more thicker tubeless tires, like a between model of marathon plus and supreme
Old 11-09-19, 06:18 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yeah, the OP seems to assume a lot about a tire based on the brand. Schwalbe, Continental, and most brands make a wide range of models. As a result the question is kind of muddled. That said it sounds like the Op is planning on fairly heavy touring and I am guessing on pavement, so yeah maybe the Supreme or Gatorskin. I have been pretty happy with Gatorskins, but for my usage (much lighter packing style) I am thinking of going to a lighter tire.
I'm kind of feeling it out all over again, and wondering if I am missing anything. When I find myself getting stuck on one platform for too long, it is then that I try to check if I'm still okay with what I'm doing. Make sense? I'm looking for any new trends. I'm wondering if people are touring with tubeless more now. I have several different sets of Schwalbes and Contis on all my bikes right now, and I love them all.
Old 11-09-19, 07:21 AM
BikeWonder

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
I've had no issues with Panaracer Pasela PT 700 x 35c tires.
They've brought me 1500 puncture free km. I inflate them to max pressure. I still watch what I go over because you can't expect a tire to do all the work. Also, they look great and are really light per tire.

Old 11-09-19, 07:44 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ll second the Pasela PT’s. We’ve used them on gravel for years, done extended tours and they’re decently light for a touring tire. We’ve run 28’s, 32’s and 35’s the last couple summers for touring, the 35’s being my favorite for gravel tours like the GAP, C&O & Katy. We run them at lower pressures and they hold up well.
Old 11-09-19, 08:48 AM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Panaracer Gravelking Smooth.

/thread
Likes For linus:
Old 11-09-19, 08:52 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by linus
Panaracer Gravelking Smooth.

/thread
By smooth do you mean the herringbone tread pattern?
Old 11-09-19, 08:57 AM
linus
Crawler

Originally Posted by NoControl
By smooth do you mean the herringbone tread pattern?
Yep standard without any knobs.

Likes For linus:
Old 11-09-19, 09:29 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

@linus What sort of tubes should I run in them?
Old 11-09-19, 11:10 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Did they ever improve the sidewall durability of the Panaracer Pasela Tourers ? I know it was a long time ago but those darn things were notorious for blowing sidewalls.
Old 11-09-19, 01:27 PM
linus
Crawler

@NoControl, I use Schwalbe Tube #18 . I was using Vittoria Extralight tubes, but now I stick to Schwalbe for the suppleness of them.
Old 11-09-19, 02:26 PM
BikeWonder

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Did they ever improve the sidewall durability of the Panaracer Pasela Tourers ? I know it was a long time ago but those darn things were notorious for blowing sidewalls.
I think each manufacturer has their defects. I can see more going wrong with gumwall tires, but I've never had any issue with them. I don't over inflate them and I keep track of the weather with respect to tire pressure. If it's going to be 30+ for a bit,I can anticipate air expanding in my tire so I would release some pressure.

I also carry a spare tire with me in case something does go wrong. You really can't avoid a tire malfunction. It will either blow out, puncture, or tear from a piece of glass or something sharp.

I like going fast and traveling light. Pasela PT gives me all I need to have a great yet supple, reliable ride. I had marathons and disliked how slow and heavy they felt.

I rode them through the Rockies in some pretty rough terrain and they held up just fine.
Old 11-09-19, 02:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Are you riding on pavement or gravel or Dirt?

Why not try some Gator Hardshells in the size you desire?
Old 11-09-19, 02:43 PM
CliffordK

Oh, another tire to try is the:

Clement X'Plor USH, 35mm, 120TPI.

They are lightweight, with some tread, and the center rib. I had a pair and thought they rolled quite well, although I did eventually start getting excess flats as they started to wear down. But, I was generally happy with them up to about 1000 miles more or less.
Old 11-09-19, 06:53 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Are you riding on pavement or gravel or Dirt?

Why not try some Gator Hardshells in the size you desire?
I'll be riding pavement, Cliff. It'll be the ACA Northern Tier. I've got Gator Hardshells on it now, and I really like them. Guess I'll just reshod the bike with a new set.
Old 11-09-19, 09:05 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Schwalbe makes a lot of tires besides the heavy-duty models, what about the Marathon Supreme? OTOH while I haven't tried Gatorskins they seem to get good reviews. I've been thinking about Schwalbe G-One tires--pretty light yet with a semi-knobby tread, seems it would work pretty well on-road or off.
The Gatorskins are a very durable tire... From the 80s. The most they have to update that tire is to put new graphics on it. Thet are ridiculously expensive for what they are and ride kust a bit better than bricks. But stll many peiople love them (though they have not tried anything else since the 80s!).

If you are willing to live with a touch less durability for a vastly improved ride then the Schwalbe G1s are really good, the Vittoria Terreno Dry or Terreno Zero is crasy fast and tough, the Panaracer Tourgard is also very plush.

Most people that recommend touring tires however are going to recommend flatproof bricks, just so you know... Marathons, Gatorskins, commuter tires, etc...
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 11-09-19, 09:07 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
Yep standard without any knobs.

These are great too!
Old 11-09-19, 09:10 PM
CliffordK

I think the Gator Hardshells are slightly more durable than the Gatorskins.

My most significant issue with them is that I did have a blowout about 75 miles from new. 700x23, Gator Hardshell, I think. 110PSI or so inflated during the cool evening the night before the ride (some warming the next day). I've backed off of the pressure slightly. While I like midnight tune-ups before heading out on the road, it might be best to let things like the tires settle in for a week or so.

Anyway, my blowout terrifies me. It is aggravating trying to make a road boot on 3" of bead separation. However, I still like the tires. But, I'm not beyond experimenting with something new either.
Old 11-10-19, 05:46 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Most people that recommend touring tires however are going to recommend flatproof bricks, just so you know... Marathons, Gatorskins, commuter tires, etc...
Finding the best compromise is a tough job without a crystal ball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.