Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is your e-bike your daily commuter?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 10:26 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I got a BionX conversion kit that I put on my touring bike which was my rain commuter. However, I enjoy it so much that I rarely find myself commuting on my road bike even when the weather is great. I commute by car maybe one day every six months. I have a scooter that I use about once every two weeks. The e-bike has really become the main "vehicle" used for commuting. I'm just wondering how many e-bike owners use their e-bike as their main commuter or main mode of transportation? I've found it to be the most enjoyable way to get around locally... especially when the weather is great.
Old 08-05-15, 10:53 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Interesting. It appears that most people bought their e-bikes for recreation.
Old 08-05-15, 11:38 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Yea, recreational at least for me, I got mine to make my rides more fun and just a bit less work up hills... I do use it for "transportation" about 1 to 5% of the time tho...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-05-15 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 08-05-15, 11:26 PM
Denver commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! I have a Gary Fisher Simple City that I put a Magic Pie 2 on with an external Lyen controller. I use RC lipo batteries and have 66.4 volts and 20amps hot off the charger. It cruises at almost 40mph and gets me to work where I charge again. It's 12 miles one way.
Old 08-05-15, 11:36 PM
youthcom

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Job moving about a year ago meant my commute went from 4 miles to over 33 miles round trip. I bought a bionx equip bike & have over 5500 miles on it since then from this commute. Lately though I've turned back more to my regular bike so I could get more of a workout. I do miss the tailwind feeling of the electric assist.
Old 08-07-15, 05:17 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by youthcom
Job moving about a year ago meant my commute went from 4 miles to over 33 miles round trip. I bought a bionx equip bike & have over 5500 miles on it since then from this commute. Lately though I've turned back more to my regular bike so I could get more of a workout. I do miss the tailwind feeling of the electric assist.
You want more of a workout? Put it on re-gen, even when going down hills it will be like you are going up hills with your pedaling effort...
Old 08-08-15, 11:29 AM
youthcom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 350htrr
You want more of a workout? Put it on re-gen, even when going down hills it will be like you are going up hills with your pedaling effort...
Workout not torture. Admittedly another reason is my e bike isn't very stealthy & the warmer weather has brought out more bike commuters so I wanted to blend in more. Coincidentally someone passed me yesterday and maintained a good rate of speed on an upright bike & I'm certain it was an e-bike perhaps Stromer.
Old 08-08-15, 12:24 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by youthcom
Workout not torture. Admittedly another reason is my e bike isn't very stealthy & the warmer weather has brought out more bike commuters so I wanted to blend in more. Coincidentally someone passed me yesterday and maintained a good rate of speed on an upright bike & I'm certain it was an e-bike perhaps Stromer.
It doesn't have to be torture... I find on my set up keeping it on level 1 re-gen is fine for normal riding on flat ground (if I want some extra exercise) and level 4 re-gen for down hills works great. A perfect set up for choosing how hard you want to pedal, or not. 4 levels for easier and 4 levels for harder covers the whole range of what I want in an E-Assist PAS bike , and throttle for when I want no sweat riding for that 5% that I actually use the bike for transportation...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-08-15 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 08-10-15, 12:05 AM
enangs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm use Worlds best e-bike diy kit affordable Mid-drive motor kit DH 148mm ISIS Bottom Bracket freewheel crank electric Bicycle Bike DIY kit Kits Chainwheel High Torque speed suspension Chopper electric recumbent affordable Mid-drive motor kit DH 148mm ISIS for my MTB, around 30 km / day, charging for 4 hour with 48 Volt / 10 amp , max speed 50 kmh.
Old 08-10-15, 02:27 PM
allan6344

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I bought an e-bike specifically for my 40 mile RT commute. Now I go on weekend group rides (on a road bike) where I before I would take the weekend off from riding.
Old 08-12-15, 11:07 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Denver commuter
Yes! I have a Gary Fisher Simple City that I put a Magic Pie 2 on with an external Lyen controller. I use RC lipo batteries and have 66.4 volts and 20amps hot off the charger. It cruises at almost 40mph and gets me to work where I charge again. It's 12 miles one way.
Charging LiPo at work. Sir, you are a brave man!
Old 08-12-15, 11:11 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I use mine for commuting, but most of the time I just commute on my pedal bike.

My Pedal bike has a similar speed, much higher top speed, and much, much longer range than my ebike. I was shocked the other day to see my pedal bike steal my PR/KOM on Strava from my e-bike on a nice one mile stretch.

And, the e-bike is nice for a recovery day or when I just want an easy commute to work.
Old 08-12-15, 01:39 PM
Denver commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put together the ebike for commuting specifically. I read forums for several months learning about motors, hub vs mid drive, controllers, and batteries. So far it has been bullet proof.
I do charge my lipo's at work. I also monitor them constantly, never let the charge fall below 3.65 and never charge above 4.15. I follow a strict set of guidelines when dealing with them and I am ready should they decide to let the magic smoke out.
I'm not saying lipo's are for everyone as they do require a bit more attention and care than other battery types but for me it was a no brainer.

Andy
Old 08-18-15, 02:42 PM
InTheRain

I've had my e-bike 5 months now. Just hit 800 miles. 95 percent of those miles are commuting miles. It's been flawless. BionX has been better than I expected. Everyday that I ride, I'm still amazed that so many people have not discovered this method for commuting. I know there are a lot of careers that require the use of a vehicle. However, I know that there are tens of thousands of cars that have less than a 20 mile roundtrip that spend the entire working day in a parking lot or parking garage each and every working day. And most of those drivers are able bodied and capable of riding an electric bike to and from work. I am so happy I spent the money to get the right "tool" for an enjoyable daily commute!
Old 08-18-15, 07:34 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
ITR, unfortunately, my commute is 22 miles each way by freeway or longer by treacherous local streets. My ebike is either a tool for short errands or recreation.
Old 08-18-15, 10:37 PM
profstack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Ohm Urban, with updated 555 Wh battery is both commuter (when the morning weather is not wet) and weekend warrior distance machine. The commute is about 4.2 miles each way, up hill both ways.
Old 08-19-15, 08:53 AM
powell

Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I commute 6-7km /depends on which route I take/ at minimum 300 days in a year.
Serious bike commuter in climate where I live /harsh Alberta winters/ has winter and summer rides, otherwise tire changes.
For winter one thing is of outmost important - RELIABILITY , means quality, means money. My winter ride is legendary Tidial Force.
For summer EPLUS .
I ride also BIONX on Tioba bicycle, approaching 1000km and works flawlessly.
Assist is so smooth you dont know you ride motorized bicycle - lots of pedalling.