Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on new saddle purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 02:02 PM
absoludicrous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

However, I'm looking for some input from those of you who have either upgraded saddles or have found yourself looking for something new.

I have been battling discomfort on the bike this year, and it's developed into a saddle sore. I have ruled out bibs as the culprit. I was fit at a local shop, but I'm starting to consider the saddle itself may be the culprit. I have never been truly comfortable on it.

I am currently on the stock saddle that came with my bike, and it measures 136mm wide. My sit bones measure at 110mm wide, give or take a mm. Which falls on the narrow side of the spectrum. My initial thought was that my current saddle may be too narrow and have been looking into a wider saddle. However, everything I have read states that a wide saddle can cause chafing, not a narrow one. Which is exactly what I'm experiencing.

I thought maybe a wider saddle might be in order, but I reached out to Fizik and they suggested I run an Antares Regular (130mm wide). I have also been looking at a Fabric Line Shallow Elite which is 134mm wide.

Now I'm confused.

Maybe my only option is riding demo saddles from a local shop.
Old 05-09-17, 02:39 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Have you tried Brooks saddles? If I didn't ask someone else would have. I've got a B17, and while it's comfortable enough for long ride, I didn't find it to be more comfortable than any of my other ones.
Old 05-09-17, 05:51 PM
absoludicrous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Have you tried Brooks saddles? If I didn't ask someone else would have. I've got a B17, and while it's comfortable enough for long ride, I didn't find it to be more comfortable than any of my other ones.
Nope, I haven't tried anything other than the saddle that is on my bike which is an All City Gonzo.
Old 05-09-17, 06:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
There are things that you can do to help predict which type of saddle might work best for you, but a lot of times it's only going to narrow the field and it's still just going to come down to trying different saddles and seeing what actually works.

Having an idea of your sit bone width is a good start (do you actually feel that your saddle is too wide? Do you feel the edges of the saddle on the bottom half of the pedal stroke?) and I think that minimal padding is generally a good thing (how firm is your Gonzo? ...oh, that just sounds wrong) and if you're feeling any perineum pain/numbness, you may need a saddle with a cutout.
Old 05-09-17, 06:26 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Have you tried chamois cream?
Old 05-09-17, 06:27 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There are things that you can do to help predict which type of saddle might work best for you, but a lot of times it's only going to narrow the field and it's still just going to come down to trying different saddles and seeing what actually works.

Having an idea of your sit bone width is a good start (do you actually feel that your saddle is too wide? Do you feel the edges of the saddle on the bottom half of the pedal stroke?) and I think that minimal padding is generally a good thing (how firm is your Gonzo? ...oh, that just sounds wrong) and if you're feeling any perineum pain/numbness, you may need a saddle with a cutout.
Old 05-09-17, 08:06 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Everyone is different and what is a comfortable saddle for some can be a torture device for others. I went through 8 saddles before I bought the Specialized Power Expert saddle. It is a short saddle with a huge cut out. Check it out and oh yea, use Chammy Cream or Bag Balm before you ride.
Old 05-09-17, 08:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I went through 8 saddles before I bought the Specialized Power Expert saddle. It is a short saddle with a huge cut out. Check it out and oh yea, use Chammy Cream or Bag Balm before you ride.
I was with you till the end.. kind of a mixed review if one reads that this saddle only works with Chammy Cream/Bag Balm combo.
Old 05-09-17, 08:42 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I was with you till the end.. kind of a mixed review if one reads that this saddle only works with Chammy Cream/Bag Balm combo.
No matter what saddle you end up with, use Chammy cream or bag balm. I use to ride without it, but I am now a believer.
Old 05-10-17, 07:13 AM
absoludicrous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The gonzo is rather firm, thanks for asking. I don't feel like it's really rubbing. Or at least it's not obvious. It feels more like the chamois is causing friction and never really attributed to the saddle feeling too wide. However, this "friction" occurs regardless of what bibs I'm wearing, and even when I coat the hell out of the chamois with cream along with my nether regions

So, perhaps this is being caused by the width of the saddle creating friction OR my other thought is that I'm unable to stay in a position on the saddle that puts all my weight on my sit bones, which is causing me to perhaps slide forward and put more pressure on the soft tissue and cause rubbing.

Yes, numbing and pressure on the perineum is also something I have consistently experienced, it usually sets in rather early, probably 20 min into a ride.

Originally Posted by dksix
Have you tried chamois cream?
Yes, I always ride with chamois cream (chamois butt'r brand)
Old 05-10-17, 07:17 AM
absoludicrous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone is different and what is a comfortable saddle for some can be a torture device for others. I went through 8 saddles before I bought the Specialized Power Expert saddle. It is a short saddle with a huge cut out. Check it out and oh yea, use Chammy Cream or Bag Balm before you ride.
I had a feeling it would come down to a crap-shoot and a lot of trial and error. Right now the Fizik Antares regular seems like first saddle I should try...it's the narrowest that I have found at 130mm which is 6mm narrower than my current. Beyond that, most saddles seem to fall within a +/- of 3 mm of my current saddle.
Old 05-10-17, 07:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by absoludicrous
Yes, numbing and pressure on the perineum is also something I have consistently experienced, it usually sets in rather early, probably 20 min into a ride.
To me, this is a more important issue than the chafing. Don't let it go unaddressed.

I remembered a decent article by Cervelo on saddles - worth the read. https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineeri...f-road-saddles
Old 05-10-17, 07:44 AM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yes, I always ride with chamois cream (chamois butt'r brand)
I just bought a tube of butt'r after using dz nuts and Enzo button hole, I like the butt'r best. I've never had chaffing, just discomfort in the soft tissue between my site bones and saddle. Though I have had a couple bouts with saddle sores from riding a seat with too much padding, I guess that to be sort of chaffing.

I have a narrow Terry FLX saddle that's well reviewed. I think it's 130mm, a demo version. If you would want to give it a try let me know. You can look it up online.

Last edited by dksix; 05-10-17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 08:16 AM
Subhuman1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at the Specialized Power myself, believe I'll pick one up
Old 05-10-17, 08:23 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Buying a saddle without test-riding it first is an excellent way to end up buying yet another, different one a few weeks later.
Old 05-10-17, 08:51 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had a feeling it would come down to a crap-shoot and a lot of trial and error. Right now the Fizik Antares regular seems like first saddle I should try...it's the narrowest that I have found at 130mm which is 6mm narrower than my current. Beyond that, most saddles seem to fall within a +/- of 3 mm of my current saddle.

I've had trouble with discomfort on my Felt Z85.
I realized that, while riding my other bike on the trainer one winter (without wearing cycling shorts - just regular underwear & shorts), that I could ride in comfort.
So I just went out and purchased the same seat for my Felt.
Now I rid the Felt in relative comfort.

My thought -it's not only the size of the seat, but the particular curvature as well.
There does seem to be trial and error involved.
Think about it: even if 2 seats differ by only 1 mm - that small amount could make a big difference in the way your butt feels.
Old 05-10-17, 09:42 AM
absoludicrous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Buying a saddle without test-riding it first is an excellent way to end up buying yet another, different one a few weeks later.
Totally, but most shops carry a very limited selection, and if they do carry your brand, their demo versions are 2-3 years dated. This is what I'm finding anyway.
Old 05-10-17, 12:55 PM
Zix
Vintage bikes enthusiast.

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Roubaix 1.3 / Old ass Free Spirit / Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master 1989

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No matter what saddle you end up with, use Chammy cream or bag balm. I use to ride without it, but I am now a believer.
Hmm I'll try that, my jewels can't stand my bike saddle after an hour so hopefully that helps.
Old 05-10-17, 01:02 PM
FrontRanger

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for Specialized's Power saddle. It looks somewhat odd due to the short/er nose, but it offers lots of support. I've also had good luck with Ergon's SMC3 and SMC4 models.
Old 05-10-17, 03:12 PM
absoludicrous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me, this is a more important issue than the chafing. Don't let it go unaddressed.

I remembered a decent article by Cervelo on saddles - worth the read. https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineeri...f-road-saddles
That is an excellent read
Old 05-10-17, 03:16 PM
absoludicrous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ended up going with a Fizik Arione VS

What sold me was the narrow 130mm width, and the channel. I think the former will hopefully reduce inner leg friction by being narrower than my current saddle, and the latter will reduce pressure on the perineum.

Thanks all for the input, will report back.
Old 05-10-17, 04:11 PM
Flounce

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle sore = some chamois cream, vaseline works.

Saddle discomfort = find the right one.

I've test ridden 20 plus saddles and purchased a few, ranging from WTB padded saddles to Sella SMP, which I rode for year on rides up to 190 miles, thought it was okay. But - finally - after everyone kept talking about Brooks Brooks Brooks ... I tried one. They are clunky and bulky and don't match a $5000 carbon road bike and we all want to look cool, but it was obvious after a few rides that what they say is true. Brooks wins. I'm riding faster simply because my mind is no longer on my butt, i.e. I can exert power more evenly through the pedal stroke without being distracted by discomfort. Try a Brooks if you are not entirely happy with the Fizik.
Old 05-10-17, 04:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by Flounce
I've test ridden 20 plus saddles and purchased a few, ranging from WTB padded saddles to Sella SMP, which I rode for year on rides up to 190 miles, thought it was okay. But - finally - after everyone kept talking about Brooks Brooks Brooks ... I tried one. They are clunky and bulky and don't match a $5000 carbon road bike and we all want to look cool, but it was obvious after a few rides that what they say is true. Brooks wins. I'm riding faster simply because my mind is no longer on my butt, i.e. I can exert power more evenly through the pedal stroke without being distracted by discomfort. Try a Brooks if you are not entirely happy with the Fizik.
This was my experience as well, just with a Selle Anatomica Titanico in place of the Brooks. I think it's the 7th or 8th saddle I've used in less than 3 years. I would get 1,500-3,000 miles out of a saddle without issue, then one day, that saddle would just turn straight evil on me. I've given away a whole bunch of very lightly used saddles.

I will definitely give Brooks the edge on aesthetics-- the Titanico is ridiculous looking. But it sure is comfortable.
Old 05-10-17, 04:48 PM
FrontRanger

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
This was my experience as well, just with a Selle Anatomica Titanico in place of the Brooks. I think it's the 7th or 8th saddle I've used in less than 3 years. I would get 1,500-3,000 miles out of a saddle without issue, then one day, that saddle would just turn straight evil on me. I've given away a whole bunch of very lightly used saddles.

I will definitely give Brooks the edge on aesthetics-- the Titanico is ridiculous looking. But it sure is comfortable.
Have you run into problems with the Titanico's rails bending or breaking?
Old 05-10-17, 04:56 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by FrontRanger
Have you run into problems with the Titanico's rails bending or breaking?
My Titanico X has proved to be the most trouble-free saddle I've ever used. I'm a bit past 5,000 miles on it, and I think I've put maybe four turns on the tension screw. I was initially worried because I had read so many reports of bent rails or the saddle prematurely stretching, but have experienced none of that myself. Thomson Elite seatpost, rider weight 190-200lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.