Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Noseless saddles from today's NY Times

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 11:32 AM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/sc...ewanted=1&_r=1
Old 06-28-11, 11:51 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So a noseless saddle is better than a bad saddle.
Old 06-28-11, 11:55 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
"My dog has no nose."

"How does he smell?"

"Awful!!!"

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-28-11, 12:09 PM
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm curious as to why that article didn't mention the cutaway saddles that are becoming very popular. Has a nose for steering that would satisfy all those resistant to change that the author is complaining about, plus cutouts to reduce pressure on the perineum.

Has anyone heard of studies testing whether or not noseless saddles really do reduce maneuverability or not? I've heard some scary stories about noseless saddle crashes, but they're all anecdotal...
Old 06-28-11, 12:46 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by reducedfatoreo
Has anyone heard of studies testing whether or not noseless saddles really do reduce maneuverability or not? I've heard some scary stories about noseless saddle crashes, but they're all anecdotal...
I don't think they are accused of making the bike exactly un-maneuverable. But they definitely detract from the rider's ability to ride no-handed. Which seems to be important to some cyclists. It seems like there's an article every year or two, promoting someone else's 'great new idea.' Through it all, not a single article mentions recumbents, though; not even in passing. Which makes me believe the article is more of an ad posing as news, rather than an actual news tidbit.
Old 06-28-11, 12:52 PM
Ediblestarfish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if those people have the saddle adjusted properly to begin with; you shouldn't be sitting on your crotch.

A noseless saddle just makes it less possible to have it adjusted wrong.
Old 06-28-11, 02:40 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reducedfatoreo
I'm curious as to why that article didn't mention the cutaway saddles that are becoming very popular. ...
Cut-out and forked (twin-nose) saddles have been around for about 100 years; vintage catalog pages from that era show them.

I don't believe the maneuverability argument much--seeing as many trials bicyclists do what they do on bicycles that have no saddle at all.

...Now if you were talking comparing unicycles with ultimate wheels, well yea.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't think they are accused of making the bike exactly un-maneuverable. But they definitely detract from the rider's ability to ride no-handed. Which seems to be important to some cyclists.
I've heard that too, and have no clue what they're talking about..... On a 25 mile ride, how far do they really ride no-handed? 50 feet? 100 feet, maybe?

The detail I've seen claimed is that you need to ride no-handed to eat on a bike--but I'm not certain of that, if the bike is set up properly, with a handlebar-mount bag (for an average Joe on a rec ride, and not for someone pretending to be riding the TdF). Also because of the saddle position on a conventional bicycle--with the saddle nearly right over the cranks and the aero drag from sitting totally upright--your riding efficiency drops very low when riding no-handed anyway.

It seems like there's an article every year or two, promoting someone else's 'great new idea.' Through it all, not a single article mentions recumbents, though; not even in passing. Which makes me believe the article is more of an ad posing as news, rather than an actual news tidbit.
Yea, there was probably some bicycle shop ads in the print version that day. ;>)

In my experience (as a recumbent owner) people LOVE the way the recumbent feels to ride, but they hate the idea of being stared at even more.

There is also now the RANS crank-forward bikes, which look fairly normal but offer much better comfort than a 'normal' bike,,,, but are not cheap.
Old 06-28-11, 03:09 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That and the Electra cruisers that are all over the place down here..