Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cheap wheel maintenance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cheap wheel maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 10:01 AM
mooder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap wheel maintenance

Hi,

I got a cheap commuting bike. Wheels have never been servicing. Got it since at least 2009 and it has 10000+ km on it. I can feel the friction in the wheel when I hold it in my hand and let it rotate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75l937tnt8...15550.jpg?dl=0

Local bike shop mech. told me the wheels might need new bearing + cone. This is a cheap bike from canadian tire. I was thinking replacing the wheels but it is just not worth getting new wheels. Plus it is a 7 speed bike.

Anyway, is there anyway to know what the bearings & cones are? Is there an easy way to go (replace the whole hub)?

Cheers!
Old 10-26-14, 10:13 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by mooder
. . . Anyway, is there anyway to know what the bearings & cones are? . . .
Take it apart?
Old 10-26-14, 10:16 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Would look at the cost of a replacement wheel before looking at repairing that. My LBS just replaces that sort of wheel as the part cost more (when workshop time taken into consideration) than a new wheel, suspect it will be similar for your LBS.

If you really want to repair it, the only real source for generic wheel parts is Wheels Manufacturing, all good LBS's should stock/be able to get their parts, if they (WM) have any that it is another matter.
Old 10-26-14, 10:24 AM
LastKraftWagen

Bikes: Burley Duet [of some unknown year] (the guinea pig); 2001 Ventana ECDM (the project); And always one less than I think I really need.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What make and model hub?

Your hubs may simply need to be serviced (cleaned, new grease, adjustment), but you will have to open them up to find out.

If the bearings are "loose," they're cheap and easy to replace; your bike shop can quickly measure them if you don't have the tools to do so.

Cones are usually pretty durable, and I think it takes a lot of abuse/neglect to damage them. Inspection and a good cleaning may be sufficient. If not, depending on your hub your bike shop may be able to find suitable replacements.

Most difficult is replacing the whole hub. If you don't find a hub with the same build measurements, you would probably have to replace the spokes as well, plus the price of the build. Then you are probably near the price of buying new wheels anyway.
Old 10-26-14, 10:24 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Unless you are afraid to take it apart and want to ride it til it fails you need to disassemble and see if parts are needed (pitting or uneven wear). If not just overhaul, if so then see if parts are available.
Old 10-26-14, 12:42 PM
mooder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wheel is a Xero 220. I am not looking to do it in a LBS, they are too expensive around my place (despite heavy commuters traffic) + I am a poor student . I prefer to learn how to service my bike.
I have access to very precise instrument, I am confident I can check the diameter of the bearings easily. I will take apart the front wheel soon and come back with pictures!