Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Fatty Check-In: Track your weight!

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Fatty Check-In: Track your weight!

Old 12-27-12, 07:27 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
AJ, that is just MEAN!
Old 12-27-12, 07:32 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Most women will not talk about their weight with each other, much less post it on a public forum. Well, for me it's therapy, because my major obsession/OCD/ADD thing is my weight. I worry, worry, worry and then fret about it constantly (I have seen a therapist). So, here I go again. Yesterday, after a really tough workout at the gym, I was One Forty Three on the bathroom scale. *THUD*

So much for "Holiday Weight Gain".

I know it's not wise to diet while training, but I by golly am going to. I haven't weighed this much in four years. Not even close.
Old 12-27-12, 11:50 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
I was at the gym yesterday and got on the scale in the afternoon - 173.2. I am happy with that weight for track. I prefer 169 -170.
Old 12-27-12, 12:33 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
I know it's not wise to diet while training, but I by golly am going to. I haven't weighed this much in four years. Not even close.
You really have to be careful when modifying your diet during training. You may end up lighter but without the strength and stamina you are working so hard to achieve. Just don't do it. Cut out most of the unnecessary stuff but make sure that you are getting enough protein and carbs. If you are currently in an S&A phase, it is normal for your weight to fluctuate all over the place. You are destroying your muscles and forcing them to heal before destroying them again. This takes a lot of fluid, and your body knows it. So don't worry about it right now. Once you start base, you will begin to log a bunch of long, easy rides with some tempo thrown in. Any excess weight will melt off very quickly, like within a month. It will come. Also, you may end up heavier than you were last year, and if you're stronger, then you know where it ended up, and that's kind of the point.

If it makes you feel better, I am 2-3 kilos over my race weight and I feel like a fatted calf. It's better after I work out but it comes back the next day. Base will fix it.
Old 12-27-12, 12:50 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Sara - If it makes you feel any better, I'm about seven pounds heavier than I was last time I weighed myself. Combination of a recovery week right before Christmas, Christmas with my mother-in-law who thinks a man my age shouldn't be able to see his toes without bending over, and high intensity intervals this week, which don't burn many calories. The next two weeks are off the bike in preparation for a PSA checkup, and the workouts my coach has laid out for me won't burn that much either. I'm going to have to bleepin' starve myself to not backslide any more.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-27-12, 10:19 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Thanks, guys. That helped, a lot. You explained some things that I just didn't know, but should have. I do know, for instance, that I tend to retain fluid like crazy. After my gallbladder adventure, I retained eight pounds of it. In three weeks, it was all gone, and then some. So, you've given me hope. And, I DO fluctuate like crazy. I'll go plus or minus four pounds from one day to the next. I look at my average weight, and my average should be 134. That's where I feel my best and look my best. However, how ever, I am doing something right now that I have not done before, and I don't know what my body is doing - I guess! You've helped me understand it.

Thank you, thank you!
Old 01-01-13, 09:29 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going into Thanksgiving I weighed 189 lbs, just a pound or two over race weight. This AM I am at 190.5 lbs, I'll take that following the holiday season. My goal is to get down to 180 by mid-April. Three lbs/month should be doable.
Old 01-01-13, 09:39 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am about 5 pounds over race weight. My current program is not conducive to weight loss. Now is the time to be patient. Base mileage will come. The weight will come off.
Old 01-01-13, 09:42 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

172.5 down about a pound from Tday.
Old 01-01-13, 09:53 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
172.5 down about a pound from Tday.
Do we have a winner?
Old 01-01-13, 12:48 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm at 191.5, and felt my racing weight was 188 last year. But I'm having trouble holding it under 190 - I fluctuate right around 190, instead of around 188. It's conceivable that's due to more muscle mass, since when I feel I'm at the low end of my fluctuations, I'm still above the weight that felt the same last year. I didn't average as many miles during base this year, so I didn't have the same reduction during that phase. I was in build phase for the holidays, which doesn't help avoid a touch of gain. But I've been eating relatively clean, and any gain from the holidays would be measured in ounces. Bottom line is I'm close, but could lose 1-2 pounds and be more content with my weight.
Old 02-02-13, 11:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

170.1 this AM. Yay. And a new measured low for HR of 51. Double yay.
Old 02-02-13, 12:16 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

140. Blah!! Where is this coming from??
Old 02-02-13, 07:03 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Been in the 150.X range for 3 days in a row. A little lighter than last year at this time. Valley of the Sun road race is in two weeks.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 02-03-13, 07:24 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holding steady at 146, about 3 pounds over race weight. One of the few good things about this offseason disaster.
Old 02-03-13, 08:55 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Still 140 this morning. I don't know what my race weight should be, but I am not lacking strength. My clothes tell me I should be 134 - 136.
Old 02-09-13, 11:36 AM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am wondering if any of you have gotten accurate body fat measurements. I had my skinfold done and was told I am at 8% body fat which I think is about as low as an amateur might go. I'm age 57, am 5'7" and weigh 145. However, looking at some of the details posted it looks like some of you would have much lower body fat than me. I know build etc makes a difference - I am 'broad-shouldered' in spite of my modest height. Some examples of people that would seem to be really skinny below - I'd be interested if there is any corresponding body-fat measurements:

6' and 146 lbs -ericm979
5'10", currently 146 lbs. My normal race weight is 141 lbs. - shovelhd
I'm 5'6". My goal is 135. - RedRider
Old 02-09-13, 12:55 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Teammate did the hydrostatic (dunk tank) version last year. There is a mobile service that makes the rounds with a big truck. He's doing a follow up next month, and a few of us might join him, just out of curiosity. He is a pure track sprinter, and powelifter... very stout (5'9" 195lbs). I was surprised that he had single digit body fat %. Blessed in the muscle department.

Currently 6'0" 155lbs.
Old 02-09-13, 01:53 PM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That's a useful service. The realibility and validity of skinfold is poor-to-fair, but still more meaningful I think than just weight.
Old 02-09-13, 04:39 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi, hydrostatic is really the only reliable way to measure body fat. VanceMac, you might want to contact No Limits in Signal Hill. A friend is the owner and she used to race bikes. She has a tank at her facility. Might also be some club discounts available. Tell Alisha that I sent you if you contact her. I am going to get tested soon to see if my scale is close.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 02-11-13, 06:57 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomgdaly
I am wondering if any of you have gotten accurate body fat measurements. I had my skinfold done and was told I am at 8% body fat which I think is about as low as an amateur might go. I'm age 57, am 5'7" and weigh 145. However, looking at some of the details posted it looks like some of you would have much lower body fat than me. I know build etc makes a difference - I am 'broad-shouldered' in spite of my modest height. Some examples of people that would seem to be really skinny below - I'd be interested if there is any corresponding body-fat measurements:

6' and 146 lbs -ericm979
5'10", currently 146 lbs. My normal race weight is 141 lbs. - shovelhd
I'm 5'6". My goal is 135. - RedRider
First of all, you should not compare yourself to others using any metric other than for amusement. I have had tremendous success in cycling, but if I spent my time comparing myself to RacerEx, I would become a manic depressive.

Second, body types are a huge part of the body fat equation. I happen to be built long and lean, but I am no Michael Rasmussen. I need a certain amount of body fat on me or I lose power. I get weak at the end of a hard day. That point is at around 138 pounds for me. I raced Nats at the front all day at 145 and had everything left at the end.

Finally, body type/body fat/power-weight are small predictors of success, no matter what Strava wants you to believe. On paper, I should be a great climber, but I'm barely good. I think it comes down to being afraid to blow up, as I have in the past. I can pace myself well for a 20 minute climb but the leaders will pace themselves just a little bit faster. A guy my size should not have the sprint that I do. It's about muscle makeup and what I train for.
Old 02-13-13, 04:51 PM
The Red Devil
Been here done this

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started the new year at 149.5, I'm officially 146 w/8.5% BF as of this morning (4 days straight at this weight). Hoping to drop another pound in the next two weeks prior to a very hilly RR that I'm doing. Goal weight of 143/144 and 7% BF by Joe Martin is now attainable.

As I get leaner and skinnier my wife, who is now addicted to CrossFit, is getting pretty ripped. I'm starting to look a little wimpy
Old 02-13-13, 05:23 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by The Red Devil
Started the new year at 149.5, I'm officially 146 w/8.5% BF as of this morning (4 days straight at this weight). Hoping to drop another pound in the next two weeks prior to a very hilly RR that I'm doing. Goal weight of 143/144 and 7% BF by Joe Martin is now attainable.

As I get leaner and skinnier my wife, who is now addicted to CrossFit, is getting pretty ripped. I'm starting to look a little wimpy
You've got to watch out for us girls!

139 after the weekend. I know where I'd like to be, but where do I NEED to be? I just don't know.
Old 02-21-13, 12:07 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just back from business trip to Florida. It helped that the person organizing is a healthy eater... good quality meat AND fish options at every lunch and dinner. The coffee sucked, but no problems sticking to plan. This morning: 155.
Old 02-21-13, 12:28 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by sarals
You've got to watch out for us girls!

139 after the weekend. I know where I'd like to be, but where do I NEED to be? I just don't know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.