Wisconsin riders?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 04:17 PM
John Wilke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know that UWGB has a good XC ski team, there must be riders over there. Did'ja ask at one of the bike shops?

jw
Old 12-19-06, 07:57 PM
Erin158

Bikes: '02 Gary Fisher Big Sur 1x9 '06 Specialized Allez Comp Double

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I from Green Bay also. Brian anderson was talking about the Fox River Trail which is a old rail Road. That runs about 20 miles. It doesn't do into Calumet county yet. They haven't spent any money to extend it. Eventually it will run down by Lake winebago. As far as other places to ride near Green Bay there is the Reforstration camp/ NEW zoo. There is 10 miles+ of single track and even More double. The WORS is having a race there on 7-15-07. I'm really looking forward to that. That will be my first race.
Old 12-21-06, 04:41 PM
Frunkin
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like that would be a good place for me to try out
i got a road bike in october so i was riding that for a while so the mtb has been neglected
Old 12-23-06, 10:29 PM
John Wilke

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Erin158
... there is the Reforstration camp/ NEW zoo.
Man that brings back memories of several drives there just to ski on some snow, then drive back home. Cool place. I also did an XC ski race there ... -5F or something, I won the 15k race cuz I had more clothes covering my ... er, you know ... and the real fast guys did the 30k, but I still have that medal as my key chain. It was funny at the awards ceremony, because I was a nobody from Milwaukee, and everyone was looking at me ... who IS that??

My girlfriend at the time was going to school at UWGB and it seemed like a nice place to ride as well.
Isn't there a place called "The Ledge" or something that is a big climb??

Sorry for the divergence.

jw
Old 12-24-06, 03:13 PM
ceo32312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erin158
I from Green Bay also. Brian anderson was talking about the Fox River Trail which is a old rail Road. That runs about 20 miles. It doesn't do into Calumet county yet. They haven't spent any money to extend it. Eventually it will run down by Lake winebago. As far as other places to ride near Green Bay there is the Reforstration camp/ NEW zoo. There is 10 miles+ of single track and even More double. The WORS is having a race there on 7-15-07. I'm really looking forward to that. That will be my first race.
You can also try barret's creek area, off of hwy 172, it was a good place to ride, but you have to watch out for the paint ball geeks and bird watchers. Just make sure you stick to the correct trails, to many riders have made cut outs and sortcuts around technical areas...i would bet that mtn bikers will loose another place to ride if we dont shape up.
NewZoo area is also good, check out the trails near Kewanee ATV park, WORS has a race there every summer!
Im always looking for someone to ride with! have a jeep will travel!
Old 12-25-06, 11:45 AM
gerard26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain bike trails in the milwaukee area

Hey, I did not see your original post but I am interested in finding out where the MTB trails are located in the Mke area.I've heared there is a new section of trail opening soon also are there any MTB trails along the Milwaukee river? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-06, 11:40 PM
Ozrider

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Places to ride in GB

I live and ride in the Milwaukee area, but I have a friend I ride with who lives just north of GB. Ride out to UW-GB and follow the roads north along the bay. There are some good hills and long straight aways. To get as far north as Sturgeon Bay, you have to cross 41 (?) and head north up the middle of the Door Penninsula. But, there is a great riding community in the GB area.

You can also ride the trail west to Rib Mountain.
Old 12-30-06, 07:59 AM
wolfgang
Team Kreb's Cycle

Bikes: '06 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MurrayRiver
Try Calumet county park on the east side of Lake Winibago. They have some nice trails that wind up and down a ski hill. Maps at the park office.
I did the WORS race there in August. Can you ride there anytime? Otherwise, from May to November Standing Rocks off Highway 10 near Point has ~ 13 miles of singletrack. Great workout. Not sure how far that is from GB.
Old 01-22-07, 09:26 PM
MurrayRiver
Where have I been?

Bikes: schwinn Mesa,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that the Calumet Co park is open for bikes all summer. we were there a few weeks before the race and ended up in a few camp sites. really need a map.
Old 04-22-19, 12:27 PM
UberIM

Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I am doing a part time gig (1wk a month) in Green Bay WI and have always commuted to work by bike. Wondering what the bike commuter scene is like there. Also which LBS do you recommend? Thinking about bringing a folder or packing a regular bike in a bike box (will be flying in from the northeast monthly). I don't start until July so I have time to figure out my final arrangements. Mostly I am wondering how motorists deal with cyclists.
Old 08-02-19, 07:28 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by UberIM
Hi. I am doing a part time gig (1wk a month) in Green Bay WI and have always commuted to work by bike. Wondering what the bike commuter scene is like there. Also which LBS do you recommend? Thinking about bringing a folder or packing a regular bike in a bike box (will be flying in from the northeast monthly). I don't start until July so I have time to figure out my final arrangements. Mostly I am wondering how motorists deal with cyclists.
We have some pretty great bike shops. Pete's Garage and Broken Spoke are both downtown and have social rides. The Bike Hub, In Competition, and J&Bs are good also. There is bike commuting, but as you’ve probably already discovered there’s very little infrastructure aside from the MUPs and drivers tend to be a bit skittish. We did recently elect a more bicycle friendly mayor though, so the future will bring some positive change I hope. Anyway, hope you enjoy your time in GB.
Old 08-03-19, 08:09 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
We currently live in northern California, but my wife os Wisconsin born and her brother lives near Wausau and her sister up north near Hawshaw. We are taking a trip in early September to visit and assess if we might move closer to family. Plan is to fly into Minneapolis and stay there a couple days visiting other family and then maybe go toward Madison. I plan to ride while my wife looks at real estate along the way and generally just becomes more familiar with southwestern Wisconsin before we head north. We will drive from Minneapolis to somewhere south, maybe starting the cycling at La Crosse.
  • It looks as if it is possible to ride bike trails from La Crosse to Reedsburg, although some/most of the trails are compacted limestone. My road bike has 28mm Conti 5000 tires, but.....
  • If I don't take the bike trails, it looks as if there are numerous county and state highway roads that can take me through the smaller towns and farm county between La Crosse and Reedsburg/Madison. This is almost more appealing if the traffic is light.
Should I take the limestone bike trails or opt for the paved county roads and just make the route as I go along?

Thanks!

Last edited by metalheart44; 08-03-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 07:15 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I’ve ridden some of these trails on 28mm tires and I thought they were fine, though I don’t know the specific ones in that part of the state. Here, in Eastern Wisconsin, some of the trails have been damaged by the rainfall (or are still a little submerged), so it might pay to check with the Wisconsin DNR for trail conditions. County roads tend to be sparsely travelled so I wouldn’t hesitate to consider these. I did some riding around La Crosse a few weeks ago and found the state highways a little busy, but navigable. It’s mostly just annoying to be on a road with semis. But you can get pretty much anywhere you like on county roads. Look up Wisconsin rustic roads for particularly nice ones. That part of the state is called the Driftless Region because the glaciers went around it, I think it’s one of the great landscapes in its own way.
Old 08-28-19, 06:53 PM
kg1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride the roads

Originally Posted by metalheart44
We currently live in northern California, but my wife os Wisconsin born and her brother lives near Wausau and her sister up north near Hawshaw. We are taking a trip in early September to visit and assess if we might move closer to family. Plan is to fly into Minneapolis and stay there a couple days visiting other family and then maybe go toward Madison. I plan to ride while my wife looks at real estate along the way and generally just becomes more familiar with southwestern Wisconsin before we head north. We will drive from Minneapolis to somewhere south, maybe starting the cycling at La Crosse.
  • It looks as if it is possible to ride bike trails from La Crosse to Reedsburg, although some/most of the trails are compacted limestone. My road bike has 28mm Conti 5000 tires, but.....
  • If I don't take the bike trails, it looks as if there are numerous county and state highway roads that can take me through the smaller towns and farm county between La Crosse and Reedsburg/Madison. This is almost more appealing if the traffic is light.
Should I take the limestone bike trails or opt for the paved county roads and just make the route as I go along?

Thanks!
There are some really nice options for you, depending on how much time you have. I haven't ridden the trails, but I can give an enthusiastic thumbs up for the roads. The River Road from La Crosse down to Prairie du Chien is really a lovely ride -- pretty flat with a nice shoulder the whole way and lovely views of the Mississippi River. From Prairie du Chein, you can ride to Madison through Fennimore. Riding the "alphabet roads," County X, County C, County K, from Prairie du Chien to Fennimore along the Wisconsin River is some of the nicest riding I've ever done. That's a long ride -- probably 170 miles in total. If you don't have that much time (and the sun is setting around 8:00 pm now), the ride from La Crosse to Richland Center and then on to Madison is more direct at about 130 miles, and is also lovely riding. One thing to note, the terrain in the southwest part of Wisconsin is really hilly. None of the hills are that high -- a couple hundred feet at most, or exceptionally steep steep, but you're either riding up or down, and each of the ups is a little body blow (for me at least) and after a day of that, I'm beat. But again, the riding is lovely -- good to great roads (stay off the highways) with little traffic, traveled by polite drivers, interesting topography, and wonderful scenery. Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-28-19, 08:49 PM
metalheart44

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks kg1, very helpful response. I am used to hills living in the Sierra foothills so a ride without some climbing seems unusual for me. I am looking forward to my trip that starts next week. We have even included a Packer game into the mix of events.
Old 09-01-19, 09:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts

Thanks!
Some of the trails were heavily damaged by storms last year and sections are still closed.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/...ure2019Map.pdf
Old 09-04-19, 12:59 PM
poxy51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of you riding in the Door County Ride--I think that may be this coming weekend. I cannot this year but I always enjoyed that ride.
Old 09-07-19, 07:40 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts

Thanks!
I think the rails-to-trails are rather boring. Straight as an arrow, no scenery (but any tunnels you come across are way cool!). I MUCH prefer rural roads. Stick to roads that are "lesser" than county trunk roads - roads with letters, i.e. County Hwy D, etc.
Old 09-18-19, 10:58 AM
metalheart44

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

My Wisconsin trip was fun, but the planned riding was modified because of changes in family plans. After a couple days of riding around Minneapolis we visited family near Wausau. I did one day of riding around there on country roads, mostly on the country trunk roads. Very little traffic and wide open roads. When cars did pass me they gave me a very wide berth, hugging the left side of the road. The scenery was typical Wisconsin farm county, cows. corn, potato, ginseng, and a variety of wildlife.

I cycled north from near Wausau to Hatley, about a 51 mile ride again mostly on county trunk roads, although I did travel some on Highway 17, but it was fine. In multiple locations I came across groups of ATVs on the roads, probably as many of them as cars. I don't know what to think about that. Cars were a bit more frequent on some roads, but in general very light traffic and when I was passed from behind it was at more than a safe distance. More cows, corn, and a few country dogs, but they were not a problem.

Up north the riding was on the Heart Of Vilas Bike Trail riding between St. Gernaub and Manitowish Waters. This trail goes through several forested areas and along a few lakes, but it also has sections that parallel county highways. Very nice and easy riding. The image above is from that trail near Boulder Junction.

Overall, a great riding experience, much less traffic than I am used to, no issues with vehicles, and the weather in early-mid September was warmer than expected, although I did get rained on near Manitowish Waters.
Likes For metalheart44: