Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire lever for carbon wheels?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-30-19, 08:27 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I recently got a set of carbon wheels. I now wonder if I need special or specific tire levels or any other precaution when changing tires.
Im afraid I will damage the rim bead/bed or even the braking surface.

Thoughts?
Old 09-30-19, 08:49 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Plastic levers will be fine. I’ve never had a problem using them on my carbon wheels. The best thing I ever learned was to reinstall the tire without having to use a lever. You simply squeeze the tire around the rim to place it into the center channel of the rim; push more of the remaining tire onto the rim; then keep repeating until the tire is fully installed. Takes a little patience but works for me every time.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 10-01-19, 05:46 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Do your best to learn without using levers at all.
Old 10-01-19, 06:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The plain ol' plastic ones next to the register at every LBS work fine - I think mine are Pedro's, but it's not terribly important. Like others, I never use/never had to use them for mounting - just getting the first part of the bead over when removing.
Old 10-01-19, 06:52 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Plastic ones definitively, and thick enough to not break. Your CF wheels are able to withstand the pressure applied by the lever on a specific area.

I use the TACX.
Old 10-01-19, 09:33 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk
Plastic levers will be fine. I’ve never had a problem using them on my carbon wheels. The best thing I ever learned was to reinstall the tire without having to use a lever. You simply squeeze the tire around the rim to place it into the center channel of the rim; push more of the remaining tire onto the rim; then keep repeating until the tire is fully installed. Takes a little patience but works for me every time.
Solid first post!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-01-19, 12:56 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk
This. I've never had to use levers. For brand new tires, I lay them out in the sun for a while, def helps with the first mounting.
Old 10-01-19, 07:16 PM
gurk700

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I promise you don't need levers. Learn the right technique!
Old 10-01-19, 07:49 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by gurk700
...depends on the tires and the rims.

You've read the hate-stories about GP5000?
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 10-01-19, 07:51 PM
gurk700

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
...depends on the tires and the rims.

You've read the hate-stories about GP5000?
Why use tires that are horribly designed? I have no doubt they ride amazing but there are a lot of tires that perform just as well, look as good, cost same or less
and FIT PERFECT.

Old 10-01-19, 07:58 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
To change a flat? Of course you need them. SMH
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-01-19, 08:04 PM
gurk700

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Haven't carried or even owned tire levers for years. Had many flats. No issues here.
Old 10-02-19, 03:41 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Haven't carried or even owned tire levers for years. Had many flats. No issues here.
You have stronger fingers than me! Most of us still need levers to remove a tire. Avoid them to remount, of course.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-02-19, 05:10 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I use plastic when the tires are stubborn.
Old 10-02-19, 05:25 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
As already said, plastic levers will work fine if you find you need to use them.
Old 10-02-19, 05:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Why use tires that are horribly designed? I have no doubt they ride amazing but there are a lot of tires that perform just as well, look as good, cost same or less
and FIT PERFECT.

Fulcrum/Campag rims and Hutchinson tires are another entire lu-lu setup.

There are lots of setups out there that cannot be bare-handed...and I've seen over-confident wrenches get cocky over it at ride-SAGs....and then return someone's wheel an hour later, crestfallen, and with bruised hands from trying to barehand it in spite of cautions.
Old 10-02-19, 10:02 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
and FIT PERFECT.

Easy mounting is not even on my list for tires.
Likes For popeye:
Old 10-02-19, 10:09 AM
gurk700

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Easy mounting is not even on my list for tires.
Well good news for you as you can have easy mounting without sacrificing any detectable performance difference.
If you're one of those people who claim they can tell the grip difference and roll resistance between 2 top performing tires, I'm willing to bet you ride once per week to go to coffee shop and show off to your friends.

Otherwise, like I said, you don't have to sacrifice anything as it's 2019 and you have loads of good choices.

To the ones who have weaker fingers, fair enough.
Old 10-02-19, 11:10 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Judging from other member's answers, it seems like one should be able to unmount one side of the tire only using its fingers.

Perhaps they're Iron Man or something, because I can tell you that my finger will break in half if I try to put it between my rim and my tire and use it to pry the sidewall out.
Old 10-02-19, 12:59 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by eduskator
Judging from other member's answers, it seems like one should be able to unmount one side of the tire only using its fingers.

Perhaps they're Iron Man or something, because I can tell you that my finger will break in half if I try to put it between my rim and my tire and use it to pry the sidewall out.
Agree. Although I suppose it’s possible if you squeeze bead to middle channel of rim all around, that might buy you a few mm of play to unmount tire with fingers. I might try it sometime but SOP is to use tire lever when removing tire, and AVOID doing so when mounting. True confession, I have occasionally used the lever to remount when tire/rim combo stubborn.
Old 10-02-19, 01:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator

Well, of course. No smart person would do that.

What works for me is to work both beads into the center channel, pinch the tire in one spot at the sidewalls, lift, and push the tire bead over the rim sidewall.

Prying is a non-starter because you make a tight fit worse by putting something else in between. Don't do it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-02-19, 01:49 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
Do your best to learn without using levers at all.
How do u take the tire off without a tire lever never use them to put a tire on .But off is another matter always use one.
Old 10-02-19, 01:57 PM
ridingfool

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Well, of course. No smart person would do that.

What works for me is to work both beads into the center channel, pinch the tire in one spot at the sidewalls, lift, and push the tire bead over the rim sidewall.

Prying is a non-starter because you make a tight fit worse by putting something else in between. Don't do it.
Will try that on next removel seems like it will work thanks for the post
Old 10-02-19, 04:13 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Degrees from
Originally Posted by ridingfool
How do u take the tire off without a tire lever never use them to put a tire on .But off is another matter always use one.
Using your thumbs, push the bead off the bead seat and into the center channel of the rim. Turn the rim around and do the same to the other side. During the remainder of this process, be sure to keep the bead in the center channel. The circumference of
the tire bead is larger than that of the center channel
of the rim, and the difference will be the room you have to work with. Beginning at the valve stem, pull the beads deep into the channel, so all of the excess space is on top. Imagine two concentric circles with uniform distance between them......then, pull the outside circle up until the two touch at the bottom . What you’ll have is a much greater distance between them at 180 degrees from that contact point. This, in my experience, has been plenty of room to use the heel of your hand to roll the bead (one side or both, if you want to remove the tire entirely) over the edge of the rim. Remember: at all times during the process, check to maintain that the beads are seated in that center channel. To reinstall the tire, reverse the steps, being sure to start 180 degrees from the valve stem.
I’ve been riding, racing, and wrenching bikes for over 30 years and I’ve not used a tire lever in over the last 25 of those, even with road tubeless tires which have a shallower center channel. It’s faster, safer, and requires fewer tools to carry. Practice, follow the steps. Good luck.
Old 10-02-19, 05:56 PM
ridingfool

Originally Posted by pickettt
Degrees from
Using your thumbs, push the bead off the bead seat and into the center channel of the rim. Turn the rim around and do the same to the other side. During the remainder of this process, be sure to keep the bead in the center channel. The circumference of
the tire bead is larger than that of the center channel
of the rim, and the difference will be the room you have to work with. Beginning at the valve stem, pull the beads deep into the channel, so all of the excess space is on top. Imagine two concentric circles with uniform distance between them......then, pull the outside circle up until the two touch at the bottom . What you’ll have is a much greater distance between them at 180 degrees from that contact point. This, in my experience, has been plenty of room to use the heel of your hand to roll the bead (one side or both, if you want to remove the tire entirely) over the edge of the rim. Remember: at all times during the process, check to maintain that the beads are seated in that center channel. To reinstall the tire, reverse the steps, being sure to start 180 degrees from the valve stem.
I’ve been riding, racing, and wrenching bikes for over 30 years and I’ve not used a tire lever in over the last 25 of those, even with road tubeless tires which have a shallower center channel. It’s faster, safer, and requires fewer tools to carry. Practice, follow the steps. Good luck.
Thanks for the detailed info. Will try on next flat or tire change been pretty lucky with flats tho well over 5000 miles between a few bikes without one thanks to conti gp4 a fan here for them just wish they lasted a little longer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.