Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Old 01-09-20, 09:27 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-09-20, 09:41 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
It's amazing how warm this keeps you. You wouldn't think it because it feels so lightweight.
Old 01-09-20, 11:35 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts

We would be honored if you would join us...on a ride
[cue Imperial March theme]
Old 01-09-20, 05:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Can you swallow liquids?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-09-20, 05:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-10-20, 07:32 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
It's amazing how warm this keeps you. You wouldn't think it because it feels so lightweight.
Wore it for the first time this morning and was nicely toasty at 44 degrees!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 01-13-20, 01:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
XOSS G+ computer. Cheapest I could find that includes GNSS, Bluetooth and ANT+. Ask me later if it actually works.

But the reviews were no worse than those for any sub-$100 computer, including Lezyne and Bryton. None of them have universally satisfactory reviews.

I'll be happy if the route tracking is even marginally better than my Android and iPhone, and if it reliably syncs my older ANT+ and newer Bluetooth sensors.

Update 1/30/2020: I've used this XOSS G+ for several rides now and it works flawlessly. It was a bit of a PITA to set up, mostly due to the app which is still in development. But the developer is responsive on Facebook. It's very basic, no navigation aids, but it tracks my rides reliably, and works seamlessly with my older ANT+ only and newer Bluetooth/ANT+ sensors. And it's been weather resistant, no problems in rain so far. For awhile I continued to record my rides via Strava or Wahoo Fitness on my phone, but I won't need to continue doing that. The XOSS G+ has been reliable.

I haven't run it to exhaustion and usually recharge it after two rides when the battery shows 2 of 3 bars. I have it set to auto-backlight, which means the backlight is on for most of my rides since I tend to ride late afternoon and after dark.I suspect it'll last a week between charges with the backlight disabled, or daytime only rides. No idea about long term reliability, I've had it only a couple of weeks.

Good value for folks who might otherwise choose a CatEye or similar simple bike computer. Costs about the same and includes the same features, plus readout for sensors and GPS tracking for uploading to Strava or other app later.

XOSS G+ bike computer.

Last edited by canklecat; 01-30-20 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 10:26 PM
haggiszero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Pumped to ride these, just came.
Very comfy first impressions on trainer, feels like a skin suit for your foot, no pressure, very thin feeling
Likes For haggiszero:
Old 01-15-20, 11:48 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts

Old 01-15-20, 11:59 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
What did you buy? If people are honest this would be a very boring thread. The last four things I bought are very routine

In reverse order in the last few days, most recent first

1) Today: Tube of Park Tool bike grease at the local REI store

2) Yesterday in the mail: A quick-release post clamp for MTB. I got is way-cheap because some bike store eBay'd a customer return. Looks brand new but no packaging for $6.

3) Few days ago: two new tires and three new tubes (I wanted a brand new spare.) I blew a sidewall out and figured if one blew that other will do the same as both tires were the same age.

4) Last week: new chain for the road bike. Made dramatic improvement in shifting. I did not know the old one was that bad. Then I ordered a chain checker so that this will never happen again.
Old 01-16-20, 12:24 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've been quite happy with DHB stuff- Wiggle house brand. Good quality, fit, & price. "Flashlight" is their commuter line- very reflective.

The latest, which I wore this evening at ~40˚:

Old 01-16-20, 02:33 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
After last week's impulse buy of a CAAD12 (32% off and the last one in my size anywhere in the UK) this week has been a lot calmer with just a pair of Vittoria Zaffiro tyres and a 9-speed KMC chain both for a Cougar that I'm selling on Gumtree.
Old 01-16-20, 03:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
XOSS G+ computer. Cheapest I could find that includes GNSS, Bluetooth and ANT+. Ask me later if it actually works.

But the reviews were no worse than those for any sub-$100 computer, including Lezyne and Bryton. None of them have universally satisfactory reviews.

I'll be happy if the route tracking is even marginally better than my Android and iPhone, and if it reliably syncs my older ANT+ and newer Bluetooth sensors.

XOSS G+ bike computer.
Welp... I must be a sucker. I bought a second XOSS G+ the same day I spent getting p!$$3d trying to set up that XOSS computer, swearing I was gonna return it. Then I finally figured out how to navigate the app, just as I was about to give up.

Then I looked at everything XOSS support had written in response to similar customer complaints.

And I got a notice from Amazon of a one hour flash sale for another XOSS G+ at half price, $25.

Nuts. I bought it. Heck, I have more than two bikes.

The device itself appears fine. Well made, solid, good tactile feedback from only two front buttons. And it held up fine over a couple hours in misting rain. Standard Garmin mount (apparently the similarly priced Bryton and Lezyne computers don't use Garmin mounts). Basic monochrome display, backlighting.

But the display contrast and size isn't quite good enough for my 62 y/o eyes to see without glasses -- and I had to ditch my reading glasses and bifocal safety glasses during that foggy/misty ride the other night. I could see the speed and some basic data, but couldn't really see the cadence or heart rate, let alone the teensy icons.

It's in an odd niche. It's a basic bike computer -- speedometer, etc. -- but also compatible with Bluetooth and ANT+. That's handy because I have both types of sensors. My older Wahoo speed/cadence kit ANT+ sensors are still useful and the magnet type sensors seem a bit more reliable than the magnetless Bluetooth/ANT+ induction sensors that mount on the wheel hubs or cranks.

And the XOSS G+ has GNSS and international satellite compatibility, auto-switching as needed, which reportedly should reduce the GPS glitches I often get with my older iPhone 4s and occasionally with my 2017 Android phone. I did a couple of test rides in nighttime fog/mist and my Android phone with Strava and the XOSS G+ recorded virtually identically. But I'll need to repeat that a few times -- my GPS glitches with Strava occurred maybe once a month, and only once or twice a year with Wahoo Fitness app on the Android and iPhone.

No navigation aids, so if I need that I'll still need my phone. The XOSS G+ logs GPS data but there are no maps, no routes, not even a digital compass. The latter would be good enough for me. Something similar to the Bryton Rider 15, which I almost bought before realizing it lacks auto-pause/resume, and isn't ANT+ compatible.

And a phone is necessary anyway to set up the XOSS G+. A phone isn't necessary while riding -- the data is self-contained in the XOSS. But you can't do anything with it until it's synced with a phone.

Anyway, I'd been trying for weeks to decide between several sub-$100 computers from Lezyne, Bryton and others. (I'm not spending more for a computer than I paid for my bikes, and none of my bikes cost more than $200.) I wanted GNSS and full global satellite capability for improved tracking over my phones. And I wanted Bluetooth and ANT+. That really limited the field. Only computers costing more than $200 have all those features, between Lezyne, Bryton (420 and Aero 60), Garmin and others. But XOSS covered all those, as long as I was willing to sacrifice navigation aids.

Seems reasonable, especially if we already carry phones. And not using my phone to record rides saves battery life for getting lost and needing to pull over and find out where I am. I can't see most computers well enough to use them for navigation on the fly anyway. That's why I'd prefer a computer with a simple graphic display -- a compass, or basic arrows -- and voice feedback, both voice controlled by the user and spoken prompts. On a good day, Google maps handles that fairly well, as long as the phone is where I can hear it without earbuds.

The XOSS app still needs work. It desperately needs easier, more intuitive setup. I'd like to see more features like the Wahoo Fitness app. Quicker data transfer to Strava (it can take 5 minutes). Customized heart rates so the zones match our ages/fitness. The phone and XOSS unit seem to need to be practically touching to get a reliable connection -- even a few feet away is no-go in my apartment, probably due to the numerous signals from neighbors' WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. Once connected, the phone and XOSS seem to retain a connection at a reasonable distance, a few feet away.

As long as XOSS continues to develop the app in response to customer feedback (they're active on a private Facebook group and usually reply the same day to every question), this no frills budget computer might find a niche between the CatEye type and generic bike computers, and the higher end Garmin and Wahoo devices.
Old 01-16-20, 02:27 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Got a ST, FD, RD-R7000 silver out from amz japan and got delivered yesterday (I ordered on Friday, so pretty good)
Shipping of about 27 bucks is not cheap, but got for a tiny bit cheaper than buying here.
Kind of surprised I could buy from there since they have the policy.... The BR-R7000 shows that can not be shipped to US.

Also got a FC-R7000 160 mm silver from eby that will take some time to arrive.
I need a cassette and chain - probably will take from json.
For the brakes I will have BR-5800 silver sitting in the bin currently.
Old 01-16-20, 09:53 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I'm building my first gravel bike, so I had to purchase EVERYTHING. Some of the highlights are; Orbea Terra, Roval C38's with GravelKing SK tires, and a full GRX 800 groupset.

Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 01-17-20, 05:38 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
A pair of Przwalski bibs from Amazon. Fit and material appear good.
Likes For Fendertele:
Old 01-17-20, 06:19 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
A pair of Przwalski bibs from Amazon. Fit and material appear good.
they've raised the price $3 us dollars since i last bought them at $26.99. no biggie. i'd buy these bib shorts up to $60 or so.
ridden them on multiple centuries and up to 140 miles. always been of the opinion that the bottom part of things wear out 5x quicker than
jersey, jackets, et al. only complaint with said bibs is an unflattering amount of excess material/fabric up front when off the bike.
unless you're posing a ton, not enuff of a deterrent to stop purchasing a banging deal. the chammy/pad is extra thick so you'll get really, quickly spoiled with
the undecarriage. may seem like overcompensation but you'll appreciate it on those hard/long rides.
Old 01-17-20, 05:00 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'd be interested in hearing how those work out. I'm considering some easy on/off fenders for one of my bikes (all purpose street, light gravel, etc). I've used standard SKS Bluemels but don't really trust rigid fenders anymore, even with breakaway mounts. I've had way too much debris snag my wheels without fenders. No harm done, but it could have gotten ugly caught in a standard rigid mount front fender. It's almost impossible to avoid sticks, twigs, construction debris, etc, in some areas I ride.
I used them on a road bike for a few years. They're not perfect, but they're light and easily removed. Somewhat noisy. They will keep your feet pretty dry though. You might want to go to their website and order some extra velcro pieces as well as the plastic nut/screw things. They can fall off and disappear easily if you need to uninstall them. It's pretty reasonable.
Likes For cyclebycle13:
Old 01-17-20, 05:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,038 Times in 3,800 Posts
Shimano WH-7850-C50-CL wheels and Pirelli P Zero tires....

Old 01-17-20, 05:25 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Old 01-17-20, 05:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

More 30s or something bigger? They look fatty in this pic.

I'm waiting on some of the new Pro1. With a sale and a stacked promo code, I got them down to $80 for a pair. Had to leave town though, so I didn't pull the trigger on 'em.
Old 01-17-20, 05:55 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Got one of these for the new bike. I had been using a small saddlebag previously but thought I'd try the minimalist approach. Fits all I need and the velcro strap design is such that I have absolutely no worries it will ever fall off.

Old 01-17-20, 05:57 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
More 30s or something bigger? They look fatty in this pic.

I'm waiting on some of the new Pro1. With a sale and a stacked promo code, I got them down to $80 for a pair. Had to leave town though, so I didn't pull the trigger on 'em.
More 30mm tires from Merlincycles.com

. They are about $1 more than last time, but $45 is a fair price.
Old 01-17-20, 06:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
More 30mm tires from Merlincycles.com

. They are about $1 more than last time, but $45 is a fair price.

FYI, they are doing the new Pro 1 in a 30mm, as well. I'm really interested to see how the durability/wear shakes out.

Oh, on that note, I'm just about to 2k on the Hutchisons. I don't think that the rear will see 3k. Maybe 2.5. Maybe.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-17-20, 08:13 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi

FYI, they are doing the new Pro 1 in a 30mm, as well. I'm really interested to see how the durability/wear shakes out.

Oh, on that note, I'm just about to 2k on the Hutchisons. I don't think that the rear will see 3k. Maybe 2.5. Maybe.
2.5k is what I get out of G1S usually. The last one for about 20 miles, but I think that's an anomaly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.