Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Knee pain in trainer but not on the road

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-31-20, 07:47 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi guys. I need help.

I got a bike fit when I bought my bike 3 years ago. On the road, everything is perfect (long rides, shorter faster rides, etc). Last winter I got a trainer and subscribed to zwift. I loved it, BUT I started feeling knee pain (mainly on the back) to the point I got tendinitis. When the spring came and the road riding season started, I rode perfectly.. no knee pain or anything. I attributed the issue to pretty hard riding on Zwift and moved on.

Now again back to Zwift and Im getting the same symptoms. Even with easy rides.

I dont understand why there is a difference, especially since I ride much more outside. The bike fit was done with the bike on a trainer...

Thoughts?
Old 01-31-20, 08:33 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
On the road, you are constantly shifting position. Whether it's shifting weight balance while cornering, getting out of the saddle for a climb/sprint, or simply from the bike rocking side to side while pedaling, you're constantly using your muscles/joints differently. On the other hand, when you are on a trainer, you're essentially locked into place. Which puts extra stress on certain areas...it's just the nature of indoor training.

However, if it's too the point that it's causing an injury, you might look into changing your position, slightly, while indoors. For back of the knee pain, I'd try lowering your saddle a few mm.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 01-31-20, 11:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
I don't know what trainer you're riding, but they are different. My wild guess is that on the road, you have a tendency to push down on the pedals and then let the momentum carry you along until the next pedal stroke. On the trainer, especially those with small flywheels, there's not as much momentum, like if you stop pedaling the thing just stops. On the road, you keep coasting, if you see what I mean. So you maybe have more of a tendency to pull back on the pedals or in other ways try to prolong the pedals stroke on the trainer so the thing keeps spinning along. Maybe. In any case, try lowering your saddle about 5mm, see if that helps. Maybe even a full cm. The saddle has to be at a just right height to facilitate other than just push-down pedaling.
Old 02-01-20, 01:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, the above. Gotta remember to shift positions on the trainer. Even if I'm doing my recovery ride/easy spin on the indoor trainer, I'll stand to pedal awhile every so often, and scoot around on the saddle a bit.

I also discovered that while I like my old Biopace chainrings on the outdoor bike, I don't care for 'em on the Cycleops trainer. It exaggerates the pulsing, lunging sensation. On the road the slightly elongated lobes, especially on the smaller chainring, give just a tiny bit of leverage on the downstroke. But on the Cycleops trainer it feels herky-jerky and made my knee ache a little. I'll set aside the Biopace rings until I finish rebuilding the bike they were on last year. That bike needs headset servicing and lots of TLC.

Never had any problems with regular round chainrings on the Cycleops trainer. No idea about rollers, haven't used 'em.
Old 02-01-20, 12:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Don't give yourself tendinitis again. As you know it's incredibly painful and takes so long to heal.
Old 02-01-20, 02:12 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I too have this problem with Zwift. If I ride over 90 minutes I have knee pain too, I just make sure I don't do that and remember to stand and ride. Also every 30 minutes I jump off and walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes and do a few quick stretches. That has keep the pain away for me.
Old 02-01-20, 07:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, don't "push through the pain" with knee twinges. That never works on joints.

And change positions often. With marathon indoor trainer sessions I get off the bike about once an hour, usually between episodes of whatever TV series I'm binging. Same outdoors. If I feel even a twinge in the knee I'll stop for a few moments, stretch and walk around, maybe adjust the saddle/seat post. I'll ignore most muscle discomfort, but not knees or other joints.
Old 02-01-20, 08:58 PM
dvai

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks guys. This is very helpful and makes a lot of sense.
I will lower the seat a bit and see what happens.

(and yes.. I learned my lesson.. don't push through the pain)
Old 08-21-22, 05:25 AM
wiita

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't believe I haven't found this solution anywhere

The thing I found with my bike, is that my indoor bike's pedals are way wider apart because of the structure in the middle. If I keep my toes normally pointed straight forward, I'm actually constantly bending my knees to wrong position. For me, I feel instant relief when I started having my feet and toes pointed slighty outwards. Would love to hear, if works for you too!
Old 08-21-22, 06:44 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
A rocker plate helped me a lot. I made my own.
Old 08-21-22, 07:28 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
On the road, you are constantly shifting position. Whether it's shifting weight balance while cornering, getting out of the saddle for a climb/sprint, or simply from the bike rocking side to side while pedaling, you're constantly using your muscles/joints differently. On the other hand, when you are on a trainer, you're essentially locked into place. Which puts extra stress on certain areas...it's just the nature of indoor training.

However, if it's too the point that it's causing an injury, you might look into changing your position, slightly, while indoors. For back of the knee pain, I'd try lowering your saddle a few mm.
Wait, you don't / can't stand on a trainer?

I stand very often on my stationary bike. It was VERY necessary, else my butt will get sore on long trainer sessions and to "stretch" the knees.
Old 08-26-22, 06:27 AM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
How old are if i can ask.. because age can play a role
Old 08-26-22, 07:30 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Outside, some rides are hard, some are just tooling around, lookin' at the scenery.

On Zwift, every ride (for me) is a workout. Nothing relaxing about it. Hills are hard, flats are fast.....an hour is about it for me. Maybe for you too?