Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike is new. Is this leak normal?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 03:25 PM
rednose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi fellow bike lovers :-)
I have a new bike since 1 month. Did not ride it much, overall 200km. Today I spotted - thanks to a gravel road - what is in the picture. Is it "normal" and I can ignore it, or is it a sign the bottom bracket is leaving (already) me? First thought is it is just an excess of lubricant, bike is new, so it may happen. Am I wrong?
Bike purchased via internet, shop is 500km away. Asking for warranty almost not an option....
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
r

Last edited by rednose; 04-10-20 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-10-20, 03:38 PM
rednose

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
... uhmmm to newbie to be allowed to upload a photo...
It can be seen at "flic . kr / p / 2iNW1s2" ... just remove the spaces in the ""
Old 04-10-20, 03:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Pic assist.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-10-20, 05:02 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Doesn't look like anything to be concerned about yet. Could just be lube residue from being a fairly new bike. Wipe it off and check if it returns after a few rides.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-10-20, 05:44 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Wipe it off and ride it. Grease is just oil with something in it to make it viscous. This is most likely grease wiped onto the axle during assembly, the oil from that grease has migrated because things have got a little warm, what with everything being solar collecting black. It's actually a good sign that they've done the right thing during assembly.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-11-20, 02:09 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
BB is dead when the crank no longer turns easily or there's play in it. When it dies (which is likely to be in the relatively far future), a new Shimano replacement is $15-30 and requires (for your setup) a 5mm wrench and a seventeen dollar tool: https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Bot.../dp/B01EONP70G (or even less: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDZJY4C...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==)
Likes For cpach:
Old 04-11-20, 07:22 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Total agreement that this is nothing to worry about. Welcome to BikeForums. I hope you stick around.
Old 04-11-20, 08:59 AM
rednose

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Many thanks for All your f/b! And a special thanks to cb400bill for helping on my *temporary* inability to post picture :-)
I really hope to stick around as I just spent a *fortune* :-D (well on my standards ....) on my new bike and I really want to enjoy up to last .... euro ;-) (I'm Italian, but I leave in Germany. Much easier life if you're a cyclist here ...)
Likes For rednose:
Old 04-11-20, 09:21 AM
rednose

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
BB is dead when the crank no longer turns easily or there's play in it. When it dies (which is likely to be in the relatively far future), a new Shimano replacement is $15-30 and requires (for your setup) a 5mm wrench and a seventeen dollar tool: xxxxx (or even less:...)
... you touch a "pain point" ... I moved since one year and only this month I realized that all my bike tools are .... "lost" .... I just changed the rear hub of another bike of mine and spent 20€ on tools that .... I already had :-(

When I'll have to change the BB I was thinking of something "quality" like a SKF BB. But I've to check compatibility among all those standards ... we'll see, budget for this year is over :-D

Sorry for the OT, btw

r
Old 04-11-20, 01:18 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rednose
When I'll have to change the BB I was thinking of something "quality" like a SKF BB.
While I don't recognize the "Samox" brand many of us have similar Shimano external BB with 10's of thousands of trouble free miles on them.
Old 04-11-20, 03:40 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
SKF doesn't make a 24mm external bearing bottom bracket that I'm aware. Really there's no need to do anything but Shimano when you need replacement.