Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Brazing technique for fillets

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Brazing technique for fillets

Old 04-21-20, 10:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Mark- I just don't have the number of frames and various methods under my belt to feel comfy about chancing twisting the main triangle out of plane while filing away. That said this is what practice is for, trying new stuff. Sometime I will try this. Thanks, Andy
Old 04-22-20, 09:44 AM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
some pics of your fillets

Got some pics of fillets you've made (in the rough, flux not cleaned off), how about posting a few? I've seen plenty of pics on the net from the pros, don't want to see those, looking for some from "hobby" builder's fillets.

bulgie: "High-falutin' words for what's basically fancy pipe-fitting!"
Exactly.
Regarding the "10,000 hrs to mastery", I understand this may be true of many activities(music obviously) but just not buying it when it comes to fillets(or bike brazing in general), 1000 hrs vs 10,000, is there any real world difference, is the 10,000 hrs fillet better/stronger than the 1000, is there any way to tell who made what, degree of "creativity" in fillets, how much "mastery" is needed regarding this?

Last edited by calstar; 04-22-20 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 11:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
You can get really good in a few months of doing it full time. On technical subjects, I like the rule of thumb that it takes 5 years to become an expert, because that seems better than no rule. In my line of work, a lot of shoddy work gets done by Ph.D.s that think their degree qualifies them to be an expert on any subject right away. And it shows.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-22-20, 12:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Brian- Not sure if you meant me but here's a link to my flicker album of a couple of touring bikes I made 5 years ago. Many shots of various fillet joints (and the complete builds as well). I am somewhat better these days, in the after torch but before filing state, but no where as clean as I would like. https://www.flickr.com/photos/731955...57658194060433

Here's a shot of a more recent BB joint that I think looks pretty good for a hack. I go back over the fillet with a tight/small flame to smoothen the ridges and lessen valleys as well as feather the edges best possible. The finished/blasted BB is the sister bike's and shows a couple of pocks I later went back and filled with silver. Andy

Old 04-22-20, 05:23 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Didn't mean you Andy, just anyone with pics, but thanks for posting.
Old 04-22-20, 06:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I never took a picture of this after I soaked the flux off hot and covered with flux by unterhausen, on Flickr
Old 04-22-20, 06:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Eric- How do you deal with the second main tube miter and the first tub's fillet? (assuming there will be tow tubes overlapping somewhat). Andy
Old 05-01-20, 10:46 PM
bacon53

Bikes: 2014 Giant XTC 2, 2015 Norco Threshold, 1991 Schwinn Paramount, ****ty Giant Hybrid Gone Drop Bar Commuter, Various Single Speeds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If anyone wants a Gasflux in line fluxer (#69) PM me. I've not used mine since I had the company do a clean and regasketing. Andy
Hey Andy, if your gas fluxer is still available, can you please message me here or email at anthonybacon15@gmail.com? Been lurking and haven't posted enough to send direct messages