Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

And the Endurance Finalists Are.....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 03:44 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts

Well, I’m in the market for two endurance bikes. At 62, I don’t need a race machine, simply a bit more comfort on the saddle. I’m an experienced rider, probably 15,000 miles in the past 7 years. I ride in FL, where it’s mostly flat, and keep a Domane 6.2 with Ultegra Di2. I also have a place in the Mtns. of VA, where it’s steep, and lots of rolling hills, where I have a Giant Defy Advanced 0, also with Ultegra Di2.

Main reason for new bikes; I think the technology has evolved a lot in the 7 years I’ve had both bikes, Wider tires, better front and rear vibration handling, and disk brakes. Most of the roads I ride on are chipped asphalt, and I’m looking to get rid of the buzz (unlike my teenage years!).

I’m in a good position, because I know what I want, and know what will fit, and a I can pretty much guess what the ride will be like just based on geometry alone. The new Domane SLR 9 is high on my list for one, mostly based on fit (a 58 is literally perfect). I wish they weren’t so dang pricey....but that won’t be a show stopper.

My existing Giant is also a perfect bike for the hills of VA - stiff, fast, compact gearing, light (did I say the climbs here are steep?). But it is bit less stable and commands more attention when riding, and currently rim brakes and 23mm tires. Great bike, but we can do better......

Has anyone gone on spokes99.com? It allows one to compare bikes side by side - geometry, components, price, etc. Lots of info all bunched together and a great tool which I used to help make a decision.

Here are the finalists, in no particular order:

1) Bianchi Infinito CV
2) Cervelo C3 or C5
3) Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9
4) Specialized Roubaix or S Works Roubaix
5) Domane SLR 9
6) Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

With this many bikes, it’s impossible to compare apples to apples. Seats, wheels, etc will be different.

For certain I’ll get electric shift, either SRAM or Shimano (or possibly both), so that bridge will be solved. Some manufacturers (Canyon) have gone to SRAM exclusively on their higher end bikes. And it’ll be CF for sure, I’m not sure if I need ( or even want ) the highest grade carbon, as I’m a fairly big guy at almost 200#. A few grams of carbon won’t make or break. And some don’t even offer it - Giant only offers their level 2 carbon on their flagship endurance bike, but it’s high on the consideration list.

Looking at stack, reach, TT length and wheelbase, it looks like the Canyon is a bit too low and twitchy with the shorter wheelbase. I’m not sure I need the Future Shock for the type of riding I do, both in FL and VA. The composite, one piece stem-handlebars appear to be a game changer for killing buzz, as do the new seat stem designs.

Part of the decision may be based on customization - I like wider handlebars and longer (175) cranks if a I can get them on these bikes (56-58cm depending on mfgr). Some dealers won’t customize one or more of the above, some may (TBD).

Thus, the hunt begins. Would love to hear whether others should be considered, or did I hit it pretty hard. I already considered Ribble and Rose, but they’ve been disqualified based on geometry.

William

Last edited by wthensler; 04-26-20 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 04:01 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Hmmm . . . Tough choice, I’d say. I can’t make a comparison, since I’ve only ridden the Roubaix. The FutureShock is overkill for most of the rides I’m on, so I don’t feel like it’s necessary. My Ultimate is just as comfortable, for the most part, so the design of the bike must lead to significant damping. It looks to me like the wheelbase for the equivalent Endurace is only 4 mm shorter than for the Roubaix. I guess without actually being to ride the others, it’s hard for me to make a recommendation. If I were going to get a new endurance bike for myself, it would probably be the Endurace. Have you had a chance to ride all the bikes on your list?
Old 04-26-20, 05:31 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Originally Posted by justonwo
Hmmm . . . Tough choice, I’d say. I can’t make a comparison, since I’ve only ridden the Roubaix. The FutureShock is overkill for most of the rides I’m on, so I don’t feel like it’s necessary. My Ultimate is just as comfortable, for the most part, so the design of the bike must lead to significant damping. It looks to me like the wheelbase for the equivalent Endurace is only 4 mm shorter than for the Roubaix. I guess without actually being to ride the others, it’s hard for me to make a recommendation. If I were going to get a new endurance bike for myself, it would probably be the Endurace. Have you had a chance to ride all the bikes on your list?
Not the Endurace, not the Cervelo nor the Bianchi. The Endurace is easily the best value, followed closely by Giant. Both are a lot of bike for the money. The Defy has a bit more stack and longer wheelbase, which I prefer, followed closely by Cervelo and Bianchi. I am in contact with both with Bianchi and will reach out to Cervelo. It’s mainly to see the bikes, as a standard parking lot ride will do little to pressure test them like the hills do here in VA.

Roubaix is tall and short - the Domane is just right, assuming they haven’t messed with the frame dimensions too much.

All good choices in my book, probably can’t lose with any of them. One guarantee - I will be a bit poorer. But I always use my stuff, so it’s a moot point.
Old 04-26-20, 07:30 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I've had my 2020 Domane SLR 7 since Feb. and couldn't be any happier with it after about 800 miles. Every time I go for a ride I look forward to getting on the bike. My previous bike was Domane SL 6 and the SLR 7 feels like a much bigger upgrade that what I would think looking at the specs. on paper. Since I live in a smaller town in the middle of nowhere trying out a bunch of high end bikes just wasn't going to happen but the Domane worked out great for me. FWIW, I'm about the same age and weight as you. Plus, I was able to order the color I really wanted and didn't have to settle for something I was just OK with.
Likes For August West:
Old 04-26-20, 07:56 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I really liked the Domane, but I went with an Endurace. I love it. I also really like my brother's Domane, which fits me about perfectly, and I've put a good number of miles on, too. But I *LOVE* my Canyon. Then again, it's hard not to love any good bike.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-26-20, 10:24 PM
MonsterFat

Bikes: Fat City Monster Fat, BMC Roadmachine, Trek Emonda, Trek 2100, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't know if you have but you might want to consider BMC roadmachine too. I wound up going in that direction and I'm very pleased. I did a fair amount of geometry comparisons. From what I figured, stack and reach are only part of the story. Seat tube angle plays a role as well and from my calculations, that is not factored in-unless I am missing something. Stack and reach are measured from the center of the BB but I don't believe that accounts for the seat tube angle when composting different bikes. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. Other subtle differences, BB type, stem and handlebar compatibility based on headset/steerer tube size. The later may affect cockpit customization.
Old 04-27-20, 03:00 AM
wthensler 

Originally Posted by MonsterFat
Don't know if you have but you might want to consider BMC roadmachine too. I wound up going in that direction and I'm very pleased. I did a fair amount of geometry comparisons. From what I figured, stack and reach are only part of the story. Seat tube angle plays a role as well and from my calculations, that is not factored in-unless I am missing something. Stack and reach are measured from the center of the BB but I don't believe that accounts for the seat tube angle when composting different bikes. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. Other subtle differences, BB type, stem and handlebar compatibility based on headset/steerer tube size. The later may affect cockpit customization.
With so many factors that weigh into the overall fit and feel of a bike these days, it’s really hard to simply look at geometry on a chart and determine what is the right bike. What is interesting, however, is when a comparison of my current favorite is made - the Domane - I can see why, For a 58cm, it is slightly shorter in the top, with a lot of stack, and a long wheelbase. The Canyon, just by looking at its much shorter wheelbase and lower stack configuration, will be lower and a bit twitchy in steep descents.

I will look at the BMC and put it into the comparator. Great time to buy a bike, at least from a technical perspective. It’s great that older riders like me can be like a kid in a candy shop. I’m more enthused buying a bike at 62 than 22 !
Old 04-27-20, 03:19 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
You are correct, STA is not really factored in. However, for a given fit (and assuming you are trying to replicate it on a different bike), the position of the saddle relative to the BB is fixed, letting you replicate the same pedalling position. So on a bike with a slacker STA, you'd move your saddle a little further forwards, and on a bike with a steeper STA, you'd move the saddle backwards. In effect, you are cancelling out the effect of the STA as in either case, your saddle will be at the same X/Y coordinates relative to the bottom bracket. That's what makes stack/reach a universal measurement that you can apply - it removes the variation in ETT caused by STA.

Back to the OP - unless you need a really high HT, have you considered the Cervelo R5? I got it recently and it blew my mind how comfortable a bike it is. You may need an additional 10-20mm of spacers, but the combination of stiffness and ride comfort on that frame is off the charts.

Like others, i would probably avoid the Headshoks and other shock absorbing mechanisms on a bike that is going to be ridden entirely or tarmac. And i say this as someone considering a Domane as an all-road bike.
Old 04-27-20, 05:09 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Stack and reach are incredibly misunderstood. They're outstanding for comparing how two different frames will fit, but only the frames themselves, and only how they fit. Other items (HTA. STA, chainstay length, trail, BB drop...) can and do greatly affect how the bike feels, rides, and handles. And of course, once seatposts, saddles, stems, bars, cranks, and pedals are on the bikes, the same stack and reach can fit quite differently.

However, when comparing frames, stack and reach tell you how the frames fit compared to each other, and much more effectively than top tube length and standover.
Likes For Bah Humbug: