Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

How many of you are from Minn?

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

How many of you are from Minn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 08:20 AM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hello fellow Minnesotans... I live in Minneapolis (Whittier) and cycle commute to downtown St. Paul daily. I also like to do longer rides and hit the mtb trails. I love the trails at Theo, but Murphy Hanrehan and Leb are close seconds.

Gotta say, fall is my favorite time to ride! Nice and cool and just gorgeous.
Old 12-01-19, 10:42 AM
JeffAbe

Bikes: Salsa: Mukluk, Beargrease, Warbird, Fargo

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hello from northern Minnesota. Up in Roseau Lake of the Woods area. Miles and miles of gravel forest roads in the Beltrami Forest and low traffic paved roads everywhere. I will relocate to a more populated area where it is warmer now that I am retired. Either Sioux Falls or southeast Minnesota near Redwing, Cannon Falls etc. I love the bike riding in those areas.
Likes For JeffAbe:
Old 12-01-19, 04:01 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
I would imagine the folks in Red Wing would be surprised to hear that they're referred to as a destination location for someone seeking a warmer climate! LOL Welcome. I have a customer in the Falls (Northstar Publishing) so I visit that area a few times a year. I've been tempted to bring my bike with, looking at all those roads. My only concern on the paved ones would be the loggers. They're moving fast!
Old 12-01-19, 08:11 PM
JeffAbe

Bikes: Salsa: Mukluk, Beargrease, Warbird, Fargo

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think that southeast, MN has a good combination of a little bit of everything from, fishing to biking and biking events, camping, it is not flat it has rolling hills and bluffs and a good mix of seasons. Close to Wisconsin and Iowa which are also awesome states, not far from South Dakota and midwest values. I'm not originally from Minnesota but really like it. Northwest Minnesota has similar type of things except winter is longer, much colder, flat as a pancake and remote and that is my deal breaker. I'm getting older and would like to be closer to the cities for things to do and the better medical that Minneapolis and Rochester offer.

Last edited by JeffAbe; 12-01-19 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added content
Likes For JeffAbe:
Old 12-09-19, 07:33 AM
Zara Sp00k

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
We live in a great area for bike riding, but let’s not talk about it too much, let’s let the others think with a short summer, it can’t possibly be a biker’s paradise.

I’m going to mention a few bike rides in WI, just across the river(s):

Highway 35 in WI from Maiden Rock to Fountain City, the two-lane road with wide shoulders in most places is as smooth as glass, a number of rest stops and small towns along the way.

County Road F from Grantsburg to Danbury. This one I sometimes use when paddling solo on the St. Croix, I put my bike in the canoe and then bike back up to my car. Nice and flat (except for the first mile away from the river), out in the middle of nowhere, maybe a half dozen cars will pass by on the trip. A nice country ride.

Oh, and if Mpls, StP is the best place in the US for urban bike rides Madison has to be a close second, if you have never biked there, put it on your bucket list. BTW, you could bike from Prescott all the way to Madison for a mega trip, I fantasize about it, but only have done most of it in chunks.
Old 12-09-19, 08:32 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Originally Posted by Zara Sp00k
We live in a great area for bike riding, but let’s not talk about it too much, let’s let the others think with a short summer, it can’t possibly be a biker’s paradise.

I’m going to mention a few bike rides in WI, just across the river(s):

Highway 35 in WI from Maiden Rock to Fountain City, the two-lane road with wide shoulders in most places is as smooth as glass, a number of rest stops and small towns along the way.

County Road F from Grantsburg to Danbury. This one I sometimes use when paddling solo on the St. Croix, I put my bike in the canoe and then bike back up to my car. Nice and flat (except for the first mile away from the river), out in the middle of nowhere, maybe a half dozen cars will pass by on the trip. A nice country ride.

Oh, and if Mpls, StP is the best place in the US for urban bike rides Madison has to be a close second, if you have never biked there, put it on your bucket list. BTW, you could bike from Prescott all the way to Madison for a mega trip, I fantasize about it, but only have done most of it in chunks.
I second your opinion! We live in Eagan and have a cabin in Pepin County. Great biking in our areas, except the season is way too short. This year I biked pretty much until the end of November, which was a bonus. Now it's on to the exerciser bike until the snow melts next spring. For trail riding in Wisconsin I would recommend the Chippewa Trail from Durand to Eau Claire, and the Old Abe trail in Chippewa Falls, up through Jim Falls, up to Cornell. If you feel like stopping, you can't go wrong with Dylan's Dairy, with home made ice cream.

Last edited by ultrarider7; 12-09-19 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-16-19, 08:49 PM
MNwj48

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban 1974

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow riding

Now it is December, and I am still riding the bicycle to the Library and the Bank.

Some work was done in Sochaki park putting in a culvert so the ponds do not create a stream across the trail. I had a chance to ask about the winter snow removal and the park people said they don't clean the paths in the winter.

Well someone is cleaning it, not a good job, but gets it down near the pavement.

This year I have been using the back streets more than the park as they are easier to ride, until the sun has had a chance. This is only for rides where I do not have to ride next to traffic.

Got myself a new dinger (dinger got ruined in crash, as mentioned in a previous post).

I could not find anything like my old dinger (which was reliable and my thumb was trained to it), and I do not remember where I got it.

I wanted something reliable, because if you are coming up from behind someone, you only got seconds to DING your bell. Most of the bells that I tried would only ding sometimes, and not consistently.

I got a reasonably priced one that is a round dial. When the dial is spun it rings the bell. I mounted it sideways, so my thumb can spin it easily.

It has been reliable, and I can vary the dinging by how hard I spin the dial with my thumb.
Old 12-16-19, 08:54 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by MNwj48
Now it is December, and I am still riding the bicycle to the Library and the Bank.

Some work was done in Sochaki park putting in a culvert so the ponds do not create a stream across the trail. I had a chance to ask about the winter snow removal and the park people said they don't clean the paths in the winter.

Well someone is cleaning it, not a good job, but gets it down near the pavement.

This year I have been using the back streets more than the park as they are easier to ride, until the sun has had a chance. This is only for rides where I do not have to ride next to traffic.

Got myself a new dinger (dinger got ruined in crash, as mentioned in a previous post).

I could not find anything like my old dinger (which was reliable and my thumb was trained to it), and I do not remember where I got it.

I wanted something reliable, because if you are coming up from behind someone, you only got seconds to DING your bell. Most of the bells that I tried would only ding sometimes, and not consistently.

I got a reasonably priced one that is a round dial. When the dial is spun it rings the bell. I mounted it sideways, so my thumb can spin it easily.

It has been reliable, and I can vary the dinging by how hard I spin the dial with my thumb.
CRANE STRIKER BELL... never fails me.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 12-17-19, 04:37 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts

Welcome from the southwest suburbs.
Old 02-08-20, 04:43 PM
JITADIA
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tararogue
I live in Souauto clicker word unscrambler jumble solverMinneapolis and commute to the North Loop (just past downtown) for work.

It's starting to get cold again!
Just curious how many forum members are close by, about 200 miles straight north of the cities,

Last edited by JITADIA; 02-09-20 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-08-20, 04:55 PM
ultrarider7

Originally Posted by JITADIA
Just curious how many forum members are close by, about 200 miles straight north of the cities,
In Eagan
Old 04-27-20, 10:34 PM
JosephCP

Bikes: 1973 Rolls/Colnago C-130, 1976 Rex Araya "Criterium"

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Valley of the Apples.
Old 09-20-20, 07:47 PM
TP218