Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Asking for permission...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Asking for permission...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 04:59 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny S
Recently heard about a local who's doing old school hand pinstriping. This is some of his work.

Not bad. However, (never looking to deprive an honest fellow of his due), you may be able to achieve similar with a paint roller pen. Might be worth the $7.00 or $8.00 to buy one in a color you think would work, and test your results before you send it off for paint.

Now if you wanted box lining, or elaborate pin striping, I'd throw my hands up and start negotiating now.
Old 05-01-20, 05:13 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
Does your bikes serial number start with 204xx? My 21" Platimun Grey #20432
Old 05-01-20, 05:15 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,209 Posts
^ That doesn't appear to be lug lining. Maybe off-the-lug lining.?.
Old 05-01-20, 05:55 PM
Danny S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by trainman999
Does your bikes serial number start with 204xx? My 21" Platimun Grey #20432
Ser# 14324

That's quite a spread given this is a 1yr only color.

But.. there's no longer a question of keeping the original finish. Looking for the ser# I discovered the bottom bracket shell is a rustball also. Paint's gonna have to come off this one to preserve the bike.

Guess I'll sit down w/ powder coater to find a workable single layer color. Easy to obscure details w/ powder, it's comparatively "thick".

And, few people realize powder can be wet sanded and polished to a glass smooth finish.
Old 05-01-20, 06:03 PM
Danny S

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
^ That doesn't appear to be lug lining. Maybe off-the-lug lining.?.
Yup, but if you look at vintage Paramounts, that "off the lug" pinstriping is how they did it back in the day.

It's TOUGH to do!
Old 05-01-20, 06:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,491 Posts
I agree with really cleaning and waxing it first. Gold lug lining might make the decals pop more. Maybe some other graphics?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-01-20, 06:33 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
Not really 14324 decodes to 1981 43 week 24 frame. What is your headbadge number? mine 2422 They apprently just finished them as needed, if they got a new batch of frames from Don Mainline they put them in front of what was left. They made frames on 18 weeks that I have serials on, and from low of 2 to a high of 71 covering 435 frames my guess is they made 30-40 most weeks and 750 - 1000 frrames.
Old 05-01-20, 07:02 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Do what you want for all the reasons that you can.

I like my bikes pretty, either original or after a paint job/powder coat. My completely unsolicited opinion is that bubbling and those imperfections are quite minimal, especially for the year. It's an '83 Schwinn, a really really cool year color and graphics-wise for them (speaking as a Schwinn fan). The metallic in the grey is very present, and polished up, it will really sparkle in the sun. And the grey is just dark enough to let the silver components pop in contrast, while still leaving room for a colored Brooks and bar tape. Such a nice grey! Plus all the components are 'worn' at the same rate as the frame. It all matches.

So "at worst" you have a gorgeous bike that's ready to rock. Not a bad place to be!
Old 05-01-20, 07:18 PM
Danny S

Originally Posted by trainman999
Not really 14324 decodes to 1981 43 week 24 frame. What is your headbadge number? mine 2422 They apprently just finished them as needed, if they got a new batch of frames from Don Mainline they put them in front of what was left. They made frames on 18 weeks that I have serials on, and from low of 2 to a high of 71 covering 435 frames my guess is they made 30-40 most weeks and 750 - 1000 frrames.
Headbadge# 1662.
Old 05-01-20, 07:26 PM
Danny S

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I agree with really cleaning and waxing it first. Gold lug lining might make the decals pop more. Maybe some other graphics?
Started out the day positive I was changing color... Presented with enough sound reasoning here today, I did a complete 180.. let's just clean & polish, done deal.

Then, taking another photo of frame I found rust under paint on top tube, looking for Ser# I flipped frame over and saw bottom bracket. I'm thinking this is more rust than I oughta be leaving in place?

Old 05-01-20, 08:05 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
Great picture Danny S . We can see the rust for sure. It came from the surface that lock ring bottoms against. This looks pretty normal for a bike of this age. I use Testors model paint. If it were, my bike, I would remove the bottom bracket before sanding and painting. I use a small artist brush. Usually will need two coats. On this you might even apply some Rustoleum Rusty metal primer first, then sand it smooth and let it sit for a few days before applying the touch up paint.

On the bottom of the bottom bracket, you don't have to be an artist to touch it up. Nobody, except you will see it.

It may be time to renew the grease in the bottom bracket anyway.
Old 05-01-20, 08:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Funny thing. The Platinum Grey '83 Superior came w/ a red headbadge.
All the '83s came with the red badges; been after one for a while. The more common, orange '81 and 82 models came with the lemon yellow badges.

-Kurt

Old 05-01-20, 08:16 PM
Danny S

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
...I use Testors model paint. If it were, my bike, I would remove the bottom bracket before sanding and painting. I use a small artist brush. Usually will need two coats. On this you might even apply some Rustoleum Rusty metal primer first, then sand it smooth and let it sit for a few days before applying the touch up paint.
Good idea, I've mixed Testors colors in past to match paint with varying degrees of success. Can't hurt to give it a shot.

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
..It may be time to renew the grease in the bottom bracket anyway.
Ya THINK?!
Likes For Danny S:
Old 05-02-20, 07:44 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 192 Posts
I had similar paint issues. Actually they were quite a bit worse on a Bruce Gordon. I repainted mine which I do not regret. However, next time I might have used wet spray instead of powder coat. But I do feel powder coat is a better coating for the frame. But there was a lot of pitting underneath that spidering due to rust on my frame. If it were me I may ride it for a year the way it is, but I would probably paint it at some point.
Old 05-03-20, 02:19 PM
Danny S

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I had similar paint issues. Actually they were quite a bit worse on a Bruce Gordon. I repainted mine which I do not regret. However, next time I might have used wet spray instead of powder coat. But I do feel powder coat is a better coating for the frame. But there was a lot of pitting underneath that spidering due to rust on my frame. If it were me I may ride it for a year the way it is, but I would probably paint it at some point.
Whether paint or powder, frame rust needs to be addressed. Leaning toward refinishing now while already disassembled for nut & bolt resto.

Gran Sport components aren't finished up to Campy's usual "jewelry finish" standards, but these are cleaning up pretty well.

After:
Likes For Danny S:
Old 05-03-20, 02:31 PM
Danny S

Before;

Old 05-04-20, 12:34 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
it's not the most inspiring color but they are only original once. If originality doesn't matter then outlining the lugs in a contrasting color would both liven up the looks and show off the lug work.
Old 05-05-20, 06:02 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Completely agree with your decision to sandblast and start over. The rust needs to be gone.

I've had two bikes powder-coated with great results. Someone above suggested finding someone experienced with bikes and knows the difference between a bike frame and a trailer hitch. They'll know exactly how to tape it off and will ensure all the threads are chased if needed.

Be aware that if you powder-coat instead of paint, you'll lose a little bit of detail around the lugs. They edges aren't as "sharp" as they will be with paint. It doesn't bother me, but originality and cosmetics are less important than functionality on my bikes. I don't have any "collectibles".
Old 05-05-20, 08:09 AM
Danny S

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Completely agree with your decision to sandblast and start over. The rust needs to be gone.

I've had two bikes powder-coated with great results. Someone above suggested finding someone experienced with bikes and knows the difference between a bike frame and a trailer hitch. They'll know exactly how to tape it off and will ensure all the threads are chased if needed.

Be aware that if you powder-coat instead of paint, you'll lose a little bit of detail around the lugs. They edges aren't as "sharp" as they will be with paint. It doesn't bother me, but originality and cosmetics are less important than functionality on my bikes. I don't have any "collectibles".
Thx Jefff. I'm aware powder can obscure details. Hoping to find an appropriate color that will work with a single layer. Many powder coating colors require base color, metallic or pearl coat then a final cleat coat Serial numbers are obliterated, lugs are half filled in. I'm hoping a single layer will minimize the issue. If paint wasn't prohibitively pricey, and didn't take so long to toughen up, I'd go that route for sure. But powder had a bunch of advantages, and it's removable as well if it ends in disaster.

Anyone had good experiences with a powder coater within driving range of Nashville?
Old 05-05-20, 08:50 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 192 Posts
Thx Jefff. I'm aware powder can obscure details. Hoping to find an appropriate color that will work with a single layer. Many powder coating colors require base color, metallic or pearl coat then a final cleat coat Serial numbers are obliterated, lugs are half filled in. I'm hoping a single layer will minimize the issue. If paint wasn't prohibitively pricey, and didn't take so long to toughen up, I'd go that route for sure. But powder had a bunch of advantages, and it's removable as well if it ends in disaster.

Anyone had good experiences with a powder coater within driving range of Nashville?
No, but Groody Brothers are where it's at for powder. They are in Kansas City. They are also big C and V people, so they would do the best they can with lugs and powder coating.
Old 05-05-20, 09:05 AM
Danny S

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
No, but Groody Brothers are where it's at for powder. They are in Kansas City. They are also big C and V people, so they would do the best they can with lugs and powder coating.
Sounds like a plan.
Old 05-05-20, 09:15 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
You have my permission, especially after that pic of the bottom bracket. Once it’s past basic touch-up, have no choice. That bottom bracket is past touch-up.
I have had 3 frames professionally redone, and bought a bike that had a professional respray. Very happy with the results, and just as, or more so, durable then the original. Factory paint jobs were not always that great, not at all impressed with original paint on the Sports Tourer I bought, will be better then factory after the respray.
Tim