Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any ride difference when using a rear rack?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Any ride difference when using a rear rack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-20, 07:30 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Yeah, I've kept if off close to 10yrs. When I lived in MS, I went a bit native with the fried food and cheap beer.
Old 05-02-20, 07:51 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
I have two rear racks, Lezyne and Blackburne, on two diff steel bikes and have not noticed a difference riding without any packs on racks. Both bikes non-butted sturdy steel frames. I have a top velcro strap on back rack pack that will make for a riding difference, mostly because of extra weight and also less aero with side winds. Im sure the frame and wheel/tires setup may make a difference, especially to more sensitive riders.
Old 05-02-20, 08:02 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I guess it must depend a bit on the rack. I just don't see a steel Tubus Fly making much difference. It weighs under a pound, and when mounted on my road bike doesn't make the bike feel different, as I mentioned above.
The Tubus Cargo is a little heavier and more rigid, but it has a flex point where the horizontal strut attaches, so it is also forgiving. I have it mounted on my hybrid, which has a stiffer frame from the start, though.
Old 05-02-20, 09:08 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-02-20, 09:19 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
There's people that can notice the difference in different components.

I assume you're asking about the possibility of added strength and stiffness due to an added rear triangle to the rear of the bike...

I guess, in theory, depending upon the attachments, it may be discernible.

Me? I can't tell the difference with an unloaded rear rack-either weight or stiffness.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-02-20, 09:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I never noticed a rear rack making any difference at all but weight on it making a huge difference for this guy who loves to climb and accelerate from lights out of the saddle and throw the bike side to side in "the dance". With weight back there at the end of a lever the length of almost the entire bike and my hands trying ot fight it with a lever only 16" long,it gets old fast. I do that climbing without the dance, holding the bike steady.

My love is LowRider (or equivalent) racks up front with low panniers on them. There I can do the full dance with a lot of weight. Easy on the hands and I can do a full side-to-side rock.
I used to believe that a significant front load makes a bike difficult to handle. I always put the majority of my load on a rear rack and added a bit in front with a handlebar bag. I experienced the bike twist that Ben describes above but I understood it to be part of the deal. Then I finally got a front rack and put panniers on it. Boy, was I wrong about front weight. Not only did it not make the bike unwieldy -- well, OK I have to put in more effort with my arms, but it's not impossible --, but pulling up on the handlebars means I'm pulling up the weight directly and not through twisting of the bike. Now I get it.

@gugie's warning that an eyelet-mounted rack stiffens the fork has me scared. That rack is off my bike now, and I don't remember noticing differences between pre-rack, during-rack, and after-rack. I can't decide if I want to use it again. I guess I should do it since I didn't notice. Maybe I'll notice it this time, maybe not. This is on my Raleigh International which does have quite a lightweight fork with lots of rake.

@squirtdad, I assume, from all the responses, that your question was about an unloaded rack. No, a rack only weighs a pound or two, so it doesn't affect handling, but once it is loaded, it certainly does. Whether it is acceptable is up to you. Way back in the 1970s I toured on a Raleigh Gran Sport (lightweight steel) with a Pletscher rack and a full load. Lots of wobbling especially at low speed. But I got used to it and never felt in danger.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-02-20, 10:14 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I used to believe that a significant front load makes a bike difficult to handle. I always put the majority of my load on a rear rack and added a bit in front with a handlebar bag. I experienced the bike twist that Ben describes above but I understood it to be part of the deal. Then I finally got a front rack and put panniers on it. Boy, was I wrong about front weight. Not only did it not make the bike unwieldy -- well, OK I have to put in more effort with my arms, but it's not impossible --, but pulling up on the handlebars means I'm pulling up the weight directly and not through twisting of the bike. Now I get it.

@gugie's warning that an eyelet-mounted rack stiffens the fork has me scared. That rack is off my bike now, and I don't remember noticing differences between pre-rack, during-rack, and after-rack. I can't decide if I want to use it again. I guess I should do it since I didn't notice. Maybe I'll notice it this time, maybe not. This is on my Raleigh International which does have quite a lightweight fork with lots of rake.
No need to be scared, it's not dangerous, it just makes the ride a bit rougher. If you're running wider tires it can make up for a good deal of the fork's loss of "springiness".
Old 05-02-20, 10:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
No need to be scared, it's not dangerous, it just makes the ride a bit rougher. If you're running wider tires it can make up for a good deal of the fork's loss of "springiness".
Not only that, but some are more sensitive to things like this than others. I seem to be very sensitive to changes, but maybe this is one where I'm not. But I haven't put the rack back on since I read your comment, so maybe I will notice it when I put it back on.

I have a 32mm tire on the front now. And with all the talk of wide tires and low pressures, I've learned I can use lower pressure than I used to use. I use 50 psi in front now, as I'm a fairly lightweight person. It works great for me. I refill when it goes below 30 psi.

But the bike is in NYC, and I'm quarantining upstate, so I won't ride it until I don't know when.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-02-20, 12:25 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Unless carrying top heavy on the rack, no issues. Lower the center of balance ftw.
Old 05-02-20, 05:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

@squirtdad, I assume, from all the responses, that your question was about an unloaded rack. No, a rack only weighs a pound or two, so it doesn't affect handling, but once it is loaded, it certainly does. Whether it is acceptable is up to you. Way back in the 1970s I toured on a Raleigh Gran Sport (lightweight steel) with a Pletscher rack and a full load. Lots of wobbling especially at low speed. But I got used to it and never felt in danger.
I have only used LowRider (and equivalent) racks in front so I cannot speak for regular racks. The LowRider types do nothing that change the ride charteristics until you start adding load (obviously). And then, the change is simply the weight, Fork characteristic stay the same. (Now that weight is "un-sprung" weight, basically bolted directly to the wheel, no shock absorption through the frame. Don't put delicate stuff in there, then ride rough roads.)

Ben
Old 05-04-20, 11:45 AM
buegelfrei

Bikes: Daylight ARC c1 XXL 20", Surly Big Dummy, c.1983 Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I used to have a mid-90s Bianchi Eros that handled differently the moment you attached a rear rack. The Eros was Bianchi’s “sport touring” model. It wasn’t particularly either of these things, however, the frame and fork included eyelet braze-ons at the tips and seat stays.

The overall degradation in handling was noticeable even when unloaded. The front wheel would start to wobble almost immediately if I tried to go no-hands. At some point I noticed that the bike’s no-hands handling improved. The cause? The seat stay rack attachment bolts had come loose!

Needless to say, I stripped off the rack when I eventually sold the bike.
Old 05-04-20, 12:23 PM
Kahsyrbag

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I have an antique cruiser that always has about 80lbs/36kg on the back, and a chopper with about 30lbs/14kg on the back, and I have used many different racks with them, the main thing I have noticed is the stiffer the rack the better, if the load can swing it can affect your handling, once I switched to racks that can't move on me, I don't even notice the weight at all.
Old 05-04-20, 02:14 PM
movelo

Bikes: Mondia

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Fasten the rack to the dropout eyelets, but leave the seatstay attach point loose. Now wiggle the seat-stay end from side to side and you'll see that the rack can't add much lateral rigidity to an already-much-stiffer rear triangle.

Heavy front and rear panniers just make me feel like a mutant ninja turtle minus the ninja part.

That said, rear rack is still the best way to carry stuff, way better than a sweaty backpack.
Old 05-04-20, 02:35 PM
movelo

Bikes: Mondia

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
On those hot humid Canadian summer days, an entire peleton drafts behind Miele Man....

Is that special juice bottle on the seattube how one powers a 50 pint Noma ?
Old 05-04-20, 07:36 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
After a lot of research for a rack for average daily use, not full loaded touring, I settled on a Tubus Vega Evo.

It is a narrow welded cro-mo tubular steel triangle rack. That means the only hinged joint is where the seat stay mount rods attach to the rack and it is leveled by shortening of lengthing the solid alloy rods that attach to the seat stays. It is incredibly rigid and has not flexed or moved at all. Even with 15 pounds and out of the saddle climbs I get no swaying (again, I said average use, not fully loaded). The rack itself weighs 600g and is rated for 25K or 55lbs. (which I will never reach.)

For local use I keep in mounted. If carrying the bike inside the vehicle to go on vacation, or a drive to bike trip, I dismount it or may not even use it, especially since some of our vacation riding colleagues, who could never be bothered by the excess weight of a nerdy rack or frame pump, always want to ask if you can carry a spare water bottle, tubes, or other stuff. . So sorry, the "rules" say you MUST carry it in your jersey pockets...

My use is mainly a small trunk bag, and/or using the Tubus spring mousetrap bar to hold rolled up items.
Old 05-04-20, 08:53 PM
greenspark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Odd question, has anyone noticed increased stiffness or ride/handing differences when adding a rear rack, especially one where there are eyelets on the drops outs and on the seat stays for attachment? reason i ask is I am in early stages of contemplating a custom and thinking pros/cons of various options

thanks
Rear rack unlikely to do much stiffening because they are not part of the rather sophisticated geometry that makes a bicycle. But a heavy load on a rear rack will perform differently depending on stiffness of the frame. Back when most frames were steel, a sport (sport not racing) frame was flexible to absorb shock. A touring frame like a Raleigh DL-1 had a Cadillac-like-ride (more rake) front fork, but the rear frame would wobble less when heavily loaded.

I once took a classic Italian sports frame (Bella Ciao) from my hotel in Berlin to the train station - loaded with everything we were carrying on the trip, and it was almost un-rideable. It whipped back and forth so much it required all my concentration to not crash it. I would have walked, but we would have missed the train. In Dresden our cousins' bike rental company took everyone's gear back to Prague and we did the five day ride with a change of clothes, camera and credit card in one pannier each. No problem at all.

So, to answer your question, sort of, an empty rack probably won't do a lot of stiffening, but if you intend to use the rack for more than a few KG's (like say 20 kg / 44 lbs) pay attention to the frame, because rather than stiffen, it will wobble to the point of not being rideable.
Old 05-04-20, 09:31 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
A lot of the replies so far seem concerned with the rack flexing under load. I haven't experienced that. And the weight doesn't bother me much; of course if you put 30 lbs on the bike, you're going to feel that on the hills, both going up and down.

The real issue is balance. If your weight (I mean all your weight, everything you're carrying etc) is well distributed on the bike, you won't notice much. But too much here or there, and the bike will shimmy. Sometimes a bike will shimmy so much that it becomes dangerous. No fun.

I like having a front rack, though I usually don't carry much weight on it.
Old 05-04-20, 10:16 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by movelo
On those hot humid Canadian summer days, an entire peleton drafts behind Miele Man....

Is that special juice bottle on the seattube how one powers a 50 pint Noma ?
That's the external battery for my CygoLite Rover II light. The Rover II light is just visible behind the mirror. The bag on the downtube holds batteries for the MagicShine knockoff on t he handlebar.

Cheers