Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bad pedal and shoe config, too much flex?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-19-20, 09:17 AM
finnstones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"One thing to consider is if you get a shoe that is too flexible and don’t have a supportive pedal, it may cause your feet to really hurt. "

so am i at risk combining

Scott Road Comp BOA Shoe ...Is this not stiff enough?

with

Time XPRO 10 Pedals ..very flex pedals
Old 05-19-20, 10:49 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I would guess the source of this info needs to be considered, and it's a matter of degrees. When I read that statement, my mind immediately goes to wearing Adidas Samba Classics with a flat track pedal. I had a similar setup for commuting, and my feet were fine for that short ride, but for an actual fitness ride, I only did that once and learned my lesson. I suspect you'll be fine with the setup you describe, but you'll be the judge about what level of flex supports your feet enough.
Old 05-19-20, 11:10 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
The combination you mentioned will not be a problem.

First, any 'road' cycling shoe has a reasonably stiff sole. Using running shoes or other non-cycling shoes for longer rides can cause discomfort.

Second, the sore foot issue is usually only with smaller cleats on 'mountain bike' pedals. Road pedals like the Time ones mentioned have a large cleat. 'Touring' cycling shoes, which usually have much more flexible soles and only work with mtb pedals, are often not ideal for harder riding.

But road shoes with road pedals? THat's the best possible scenario. If you are having foot pain it is almost definitely not caused by too-flexible shoes.
Old 05-19-20, 11:54 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
only one way to know. install and ride. return if not right or replace