Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spokes Breaking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spokes Breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 07:54 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl
I may get into wheel building at some point, just not at this time.
If you get a new wheel, keep the old hub and rim... there's your first wheel-building project, when you're ready, and you already know the spoke lengths!
Old 06-10-20, 02:02 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Up to 2-3 spokes I would just replace them and see how it goes. More than that is a clear pattern. Really if you size the new spoke correctly and bring the wheel back to true by bringing it up to tension that will work OK for most.

Building very good wheels quick enough that you can turn a profit is significantly difficult. Building reasonably good wheels listening to some pleasant music and drinking some lovely beverages in the comfort of your own home on your own time is not especially difficult to do. A truing stand is helpful particularly frankly for ergonomics, but you can absolutely do a serviceable job in the frame/fork using zip ties. Spoke tensiometers are a very good idea, especially if you have not or can not learn to judge relative tension by pitch, but if you can judge relative tension by pitch, true the wheel to a reasonably high tolerance, and stress relieve properly, and you are likely to experience a very good lifespan for a conservatively designed wheel (like 32 spokes on a medium or heavy weight rim, bonus points for butted spokes).

Also don't feel like you should rebuild the front wheel if it's doing fine. Rear wheels are asymmetrical and especially if the wheels have the same spoke count, the front will be considerably more durable.

I, too, recommend Jobst Brandst's The Bicycle Wheel. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html is also a reasonable guide.