Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin 1030+

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin 1030+

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 10:05 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin 1030+

This part looks like it will be welcomed:

Setup has been streamlined especially if you are already a Garmin user, although new Garmin users will now automatically receive the most popular set-ups from other users based on their sensors and ride types. Pairing with Tacx smart trainers has also been made easy for those that don't want to miss a training day when the weather is poor.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news...dge-1030-plus/
Old 06-16-20, 04:05 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have a Bontrager 1030. It has the new mountain bike stuff except Trail Forks. Hope they add it to mine. The Faster CPU would be nice but not necessary.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 06-16-20, 08:49 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
As a current 1030 user, I feel like the updates aren't worth upgrading to, for the price. If I didn't have a 1030 or had a lesser model than maybe it might be worth it.

I'll just hang on to the 1030 until (maybe/wishful thinking) an Edge 1040 Solar shows up.
Old 06-16-20, 09:57 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
My Garmin 820 is dying. Sensors disappear and then reappear or won't connect at all. Phone loses connection and my battery life is 4 hours on a good day. I did purchase a new battery and will install it this weekend but I have resigned myself to purchasing an 830. Now after reading your post and researching it further, the 1030+ is certainly an option. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-17-20, 09:43 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
As a current 1030 user, I feel like the updates aren't worth upgrading to, for the price. If I didn't have a 1030 or had a lesser model than maybe it might be worth it.

I'll just hang on to the 1030 until (maybe/wishful thinking) an Edge 1040 Solar shows up.
this! My 1030 is awesome, I don't want to mess with what I like and works.
Old 06-17-20, 11:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

I moved across town, and only somewhat know the roads on this side. I can generally find my way around, but there are rivers, industrial zones, and freeways blocking some routes. I would definitely benefit from the nav features. Really like the option to pause navigation while you explore and then resume when you're ready to get back on track. My watch does turn by turn pretty well, but a bigger screen would be nice. Not $600 worth of nice though.
Old 06-17-20, 11:36 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I moved across town, and only somewhat know the roads on this side. I can generally find my way around, but there are rivers, industrial zones, and freeways blocking some routes. I would definitely benefit from the nav features. Really like the option to pause navigation while you explore and then resume when you're ready to get back on track. My watch does turn by turn pretty well, but a bigger screen would be nice. Not $600 worth of nice though.
I don’t see it anymore but the older 1030s were being discounted. I think some still had the older screen which developed the blue halo 😇. Mine was replaced under warranty last January. In March 2019 I may have gotten an 830 if it was available. I still got a Trek discount on mine because it’s the Bontrager version.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 06-17-20, 02:08 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
This part looks like it will be welcomed:

Setup has been streamlined especially if you are already a Garmin user, although new Garmin users will now automatically receive the most popular set-ups from other users based on their sensors and ride types. Pairing with Tacx smart trainers has also been made easy for those that don't want to miss a training day when the weather is poor.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news...dge-1030-plus/
I have a 705 and don't particularly like it. I have a 530 and don't see how you could improve on it. There are also Chinese copies with 4 times the battery life and all of the same features for 1/5th the price. Let's not pretend that the Chinese are stupid. My Chinese Aero carbon wheels are 7 ounces heavier than the high priced wheels and 1/10th the price. You HAVE to get either the round spokes or the high end Aero spokes - the cheap plate aero spokes do not measure tension correctly and these wheels are all WAY too loose. I guess I should add that I took a wheel with these plate spokes to a local wheel builder who tested their tension and also said that they were tensioned properly. They are so stiff that they do not register on tensiometers correctly. I took two full turns on all of the spokes to tension the wheel up correctly.

Last edited by RiceAWay; 06-17-20 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 02:17 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Well, I just ordered a Fenix 6S Pro now that Garmin has taken $150 off its MSRPs and the REI dividend effectively covers the sales tax. The credit card cashback will pay for a fabric or nylon/NATO strap on Amazon.

I can't really think of a single use, but in combination it's a nice tool: tracking commuting (without a computer and HR strap) - once that happens again, DH skiing (maps, HR, and vertical), hiking (fixes and maps), backpacking (breadcrumb trail, HR, recovery?, fixes, and maps, sunrise/sunset), sea kayaking (maps, compass, ferry drift, weather, tides, sunrise/sunset), some endurance riding where I don't keep a constant eye on HR. To be honest, navigation on the bike is not a big use case for me personally. It adds to a "nice to have" tool in the aggregate. If I turn-by-turn nav was a use case for me I'd probably consider a 1030+.
Old 06-17-20, 05:01 PM
biker128pedal

Originally Posted by sfrider
Well, I just ordered a Fenix 6S Pro now that Garmin has taken $150 off its MSRPs and the REI dividend effectively covers the sales tax. The credit card cashback will pay for a fabric or nylon/NATO strap on Amazon.

I can't really think of a single use, but in combination it's a nice tool: tracking commuting (without a computer and HR strap) - once that happens again, DH skiing (maps, HR, and vertical), hiking (fixes and maps), backpacking (breadcrumb trail, HR, recovery?, fixes, and maps, sunrise/sunset), sea kayaking (maps, compass, ferry drift, weather, tides, sunrise/sunset), some endurance riding where I don't keep a constant eye on HR. To be honest, navigation on the bike is not a big use case for me personally. It adds to a "nice to have" tool in the aggregate. If I turn-by-turn nav was a use case for me I'd probably consider a 1030+.
I looked an REI was sold out of 1030s earlier.
Old 06-18-20, 06:22 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I have not seen compelling arguments to dump my 1030 which has many of the Plus features minus a few. Plus, I bought mine a few months ago when they had $200 off! I think I came out like a champ. Like one poster stated, until a 1040 with solar charging and more customizable features, I will not be throwing money the way of the Plus.
Old 06-18-20, 06:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I have a 705 and don't particularly like it. I have a 530 and don't see how you could improve on it. There are also Chinese copies with 4 times the battery life and all of the same features for 1/5th the price. Let's not pretend that the Chinese are stupid. My Chinese Aero carbon wheels are 7 ounces heavier than the high priced wheels and 1/10th the price. You HAVE to get either the round spokes or the high end Aero spokes - the cheap plate aero spokes do not measure tension correctly and these wheels are all WAY too loose. I guess I should add that I took a wheel with these plate spokes to a local wheel builder who tested their tension and also said that they were tensioned properly. They are so stiff that they do not register on tensiometers correctly. I took two full turns on all of the spokes to tension the wheel up correctly.
Oh my.
Old 06-18-20, 08:59 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by riceaway
there are also chinese copies with 4 times the battery life and all of the same features for 1/5th the price.
bs.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-18-20, 11:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

If there's a Chinese bike computer with all of the mapping and navigation features that gets 100 hours of battery life and sells for $100, I want a link please.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-19-20, 04:02 AM
Germanrazor

If there's a Chinese bike computer with all of the mapping and navigation features that gets 100 hours of battery life and sells for $100, I want a link please.
No kidding!
Old 06-19-20, 12:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Here's a $300 bike computer that comes with a solar charger.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/tr...ne-gps-review/

Kind of disappointing that it's a separate thing with a cable, that gets mounted to the strem and plugged in to the computer.

Garmin's high end watch does solar charging, it's built into the watch itself. I think that's what people expect in the comments above. You can go out and buy a solar panel now and plug it in to any computer.
Old 06-19-20, 01:09 PM
Germanrazor

Here's a $300 bike computer that comes with a solar charger.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/tr...ne-gps-review/

Kind of disappointing that it's a separate thing with a cable, that gets mounted to the strem and plugged in to the computer.

Garmin's high end watch does solar charging, it's built into the watch itself. I think that's what people expect in the comments above. You can go out and buy a solar panel now and plug it in to any computer.

Interesting and glad someone is making the leap......however, I will keep my Edge 1030.