Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How old is my Big Blue Bianchi?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 02:33 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

I was going to look through the Bianchi serial number thread, but that’s not all that smart, using a phone. 🤔😉

I saw this on craigslist yesterday, and knew I’d found “my” Bianchi, even though it’s not Celeste, lol. 😁

I’m most curious about it’s age, especially with those “over the BB” cable guides. And I wonder if the cantilever braze-ons were added by a previous owner. 🤔 Especially when there’s only one set of bottle cage mounts, and no rack mounts on the seat stays, or low-rider mounts, although there are dual eyelets front and rear. 🤔

I don’t recall seeing a chromed fork with canti bosses before either. And the paint there looks original (?).

It’s obviously Ishiwata Magny (mangy?) tubes, forks & stays, and I’m pretty sure it says Made in Japan, but I don’t know when it was built, or a model name. The Sugino AT cranks with matching BB say “Japan B-9 170”, and there’s a Suntour ARX FD, but pretty much everything else is non-original.

The guy I bought it from says the license sticker “used” to say 1974, “if” he remembered right. 🙄🤔

OK, some pics, including the serial number. 😎

Old 06-22-20, 02:43 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
From the photo, I'd be checking that top tube near the steering head. Looks like a slight bend there.

And check the down tube.
Old 06-22-20, 02:56 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
The subject bicycle is a heavily modified, 1982 Bianchi Sport SS, manufactured in Japan.
Old 06-22-20, 03:02 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is a heavily modified, 1982 Bianchi Sport SS, manufactured in Japan.
Yeah, I got the early 1980s made-in-Japan part, but, as always, you have all the details.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-22-20, 03:17 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Is that SS like in Super Sport? Sounds pretty cool, at least. 😎😁😎 By heavily modified, I take it you mean various braze-ons? I was only guessing, about the canti posts being added, but that probably hit the mark, in light of your reply. Or maybe it was a custom order, if they did that?

Either way, thanks much, T-Mar. 👍

Now I need to try to find pics of an ‘82 SS, to see how this one compares. 🤔😁
Old 06-22-20, 03:20 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by oneclick
From the photo, I'd be checking that top tube near the steering head. Looks like a slight bend there.

And check the down tube.
I’ll definitely look closer now, thanks, but it’s probably shadows & old paint you see. 🙂
Old 06-22-20, 03:56 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Is that SS like in Super Sport? Sounds pretty cool, at least. 😎😁😎 By heavily modified, I take it you mean various braze-ons? I was only guessing, about the canti posts being added, but that probably hit the mark, in light of your reply. Or maybe it was a custom order, if they did that?

Either way, thanks much, T-Mar. 👍

Now I need to try to find pics of an ‘82 SS, to see how this one compares. 🤔😁
I totally missed the cantilevers studs. That would make it a 1982 Bianchi Randonneur. They both used the same tubeset and were available in similar colour.
Old 06-22-20, 04:19 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I totally missed the cantilevers studs. That would make it a 1982 Bianchi Randonneur. They both used the same tubeset and were available in similar colour.
That would be it then. 👍 And those racks would explain having double eyelets, front & rear, but no low-rider or seat-stay rack braze-ons. And you pic shows the decals perfectly, when mine are pretty gnarly-looking. 😊

Looks like I’ll have to learn more about randonneuring now, or at least pretend I know all about it, lol. 😁😉

Thanks again, you made my day. 👍😎👍