Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Portable Pump or CO2?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Portable Pump or CO2?

Old 06-22-20, 11:06 AM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Both. I also carry both a spare tube and a patch kit. Belt and suspenders.
This on my CX bike which I call my Gravel alternative. On my strictly road bike it's CO2 x 2, with spare tube and patch kit.
Old 06-22-20, 11:11 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
https://road.cc/content/review/260467-fumpa-minifumpa

3x 100 PSI if you need it. Then just recharge before the next ride. I'm a convert. No bigger than a mini pump.
Learned something new, but i'll pass. CO2 works for me and if I get a 3rd flat, i'll just get a Uber home.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-22-20, 11:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
I carry both.
The hand pump is for general use, because you'll never run out of atmoshpere.
The CO2 cartridge is only for if I ever need to seat the bead in a tubeless in the god-forbid situation I ever get a cut the sealant won't seal & the bead comes un-seated. It's never happened, but most tubeless, if patched, will stay inflated with out sealant for quite some time...long enough to get out of trouble, anyhow.

I also carry a plug kit, & standard vulcanizing patches, a valve core, valve core tool, a master link, a multi tool, spare 2032 batteries for HRM/powermeters & a tool for the powermeter transmitter/cap. I should probably carry a chain breaker.

It all fits in a standard water bottle I transfer from bike to bike or put in my jersey pocket.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 06-22-20, 03:49 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I carry a spare tube, a couple of 12g cartridges and a valve head in a small saddle bag, and a mini pump (in jersey pocket) for partial inflating the tube for installing. Had to use both cartridges once, when I didn't seat the tire correctly and I had to deflate and reinflate. I imagine I could inflate a tire sufficiently with the mini pump, but it wouldn't be pretty
Old 06-22-20, 03:56 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts

3x 100 PSI if you need it. Then just recharge before the next ride. I'm a convert. No bigger than a mini pump.
Interesting tech, too bad it doesn't have a battery indicator that lets you know if you need to recharge it. Even if you don't use it the battery will drain over time. It's like a 3x volume co2 cannisters with a small leak.

These days we need an app to keep track of all the batteries we need to charge just to go for a ride :-)
Old 06-22-20, 06:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Pump
Old 06-22-20, 06:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've always carried a pump. I think it boils down to your personal preference. A CO2 cartridge is great until you screw it up. Same for two CO2 cartridges. There are things you can do with a pump, such as limp home by re-inflating your tire several times, or inflating a friend's tire and having plenty left for yourself. There are things you can do with CO2 such as get back on the road quickly if your group is waiting for you.

Likewise, avoiding the "call of shame" at all cost is really an aesthetic preference for most of us, not a practical one. There are 4 licensed drivers at home in my house right now, and any of them would jump at the chance to go for a drive and mock Dad all the way home.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-22-20, 06:38 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
You guys with tubeless tires, haven't you ever had to top off on say a multi day tour? Or all all rides local for you?

I carry a minipump on all my 60 psi type bikes and a full frame pump on the two high PSI tired bikes. Lenze makes nice mini pumps with hoses that are either presta or schrader. The hose works as a schrader adapter for gas stations as well.

Always carry a spare tube since the day a tube failed at the base of the valve stem forcing me to scrounge and patch a discarded tube from the side of the road.

I get so few flats that the last time I did the tube of cement had dried out in my patch kit. Glad I had a spare tube that day.
Old 06-22-20, 08:00 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How impatient are you? How easily to you get upset?

If you are the impatient type, CO2 is good because it only takes a couple of seconds to inflate your tire.
If you get upset easily, you might prefer a pump because it's important to have your wits under control and to make sure everything is right before using CO2. You only get one shot.

I carried CO2 only with me for several years with no b ack up and never had a bad experience. Now I've converted back to using a pump.
Old 06-23-20, 06:30 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Rechargeable portable air compressor/electric pump that fits comfortably into one of my jersey pockets along with a spare tube

No manual pump, no C02. Brilliant.
Thanks for that; I have little girly arms and I can't micropump past 70psi.
Old 06-23-20, 07:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Don't we all
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-23-20, 07:28 AM
TBlackwell600

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, Canyon Endurance AL

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Frame or mini pump all the way. I like the Topeak road morph g

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...-road-morph--g
I actually have that very same pump mounted on my hybrid.
Thanks for all the input, folks. I'm going to carry both.
Old 06-23-20, 09:55 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I carry both a Road Morph and CO2 (2 cartridges). I never get flats near shade so CO2 during hot and humid days is a welcome relief. The pump is because you can never run out of air.

The extra few ounces also gives me a perfect excuse for not being very fast .
Likes For MAK:
Old 06-23-20, 10:30 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Don't forget to properly dispose spent CO2 cartridges.....ie. not tossed on the side of the MUP etc.
Old 06-23-20, 10:51 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Don't forget to properly dispose spent CO2 cartridges.....ie. not tossed on the side of the MUP etc.
Or your old tubes and gel wrappers.
Old 06-23-20, 11:13 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts

Wish I'd seen that before I bought the 30 pack of CO2 cartridges. I average 5 cartridges a year, so I'm set for a few more years.

And I'm in the 2 CO2 cartridge/pump backup group.
Old 06-23-20, 05:16 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I just carry the CO2. I use the Genuine Innovations microflate style because it has no moving parts and has worked flawlessly every time I needed it. Never had more than one flat on a ride and when I do get a flat my protocol is to return home immediately. I do carry a mini pump on my mtb only because I couldn't find my spare CO2 inflator at the time and never replaced it.
Old 06-23-20, 05:31 PM
chrisnapos32

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mini pump for the win!

I have gone with a mini pump because knowing myself I would screw up using the CO2 and not make it home. One time I got two flats in one day commuting to work and I was real glad to have the pump.
Old 06-23-20, 06:10 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I carry both but I have only ever used the pump.

LEZYNE Sport Drive HV Bicycle Hand Pump, High Volume 90psi, Presta & Schrader Bike Pump
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-23-20, 08:10 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
See if you can find a skinnier mini pump. A pump with a skinnier barrel will let you pump to higher pressures but it will take more strokes to pump the volume of air that you need to get full capacity.
Old 06-23-20, 08:23 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I carry a mini pump and co2
Old 06-23-20, 08:31 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
i always tend to experience a sidewall blow out from something jagged on the road that is hidden in a wide crack only to spike up when the very delicate tire twitches its end, disturbing the jagged debris to attack to flat.
So I carry a tube & mini pump. I can get it up to 90% inflated to where it would normally be. Ditched the patches & glue long time ago. I noticed a lot more broken beer & liquor bottles around... so I might carry 2 tubes.
Old 06-23-20, 08:35 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
Doesn't matter. I mean, I carry both, but one day you'll find it doesn't matter what you decided. Eventually something will break you can't fix, and your phone will be either dead or in your garage.

Wear shoes you can walk in. Trying to walk miles in socks on pavement really sucks.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-25-20, 08:13 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
If I was racing I would use CO2, but since I don't race there is no need whatsoever to use CO2, and here's my reasoning for not using it.First off I don't like to do things twice, if you use CO2 to inflate after a flat repair when you get home you have to completely let all the air out of the tire and repump with air from a regular pump because CO2 will bleed air at around 50% overnight, so I'm not doing the same job twice. I also don't want to pay for air that I can get for free, I also don't want to be bothered with recycling the darn things, though most cyclists just simply throw the carts on the side of the road! Then when I use one I have to remember to either put another into my bag or go buy more.

So while that's just me about not wanting to use CO2, but for those that do want to use CO2 there are hybrid pumps on the market that do double duty, a pump and a CO2. Lezyne probably makes the best one called the Pressure Drive CFH.
Old 06-25-20, 11:08 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I always carry a mini pump on the frame of each bike an a single co2 in the saddle bag. I don't distinguish between long and short rides and each bike has it's own stuff so I never forget anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.