Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire pressure during storage

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-23-20, 08:26 AM
Snow Dog

Bikes: 1999 Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I'm kind of a fair weather rider. I live in Illinois and generally speaking, I don't ride my bicycle between the months of November-February. It sits dormant in my garage for about 4 months each year. For preventative maintenance have always gone out to the garage every 2-3 weeks during those months and topped off the air pressure in my tires but I'm wondering if that is really necessary.

Will letting my tires and tubes go flat over the winter cause any damage to the tires, tubes, or the bike itself?
Old 06-23-20, 08:37 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Snow Dog
I'm wondering if that is really necessary.
It's not.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-23-20, 08:47 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Just don't let the tires go completely flat if the bike is sitting on the floor. That looks bad but don't know about actual damage.
Old 06-23-20, 08:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
The tire only need a few psi to keep its shape with no rider on it. So I would be surprised if the tires actually ever got that flat.

And even if they do go completely flat, tubes and tires can both be folded up for long periods of time with no ill effects.

The only situation I would try to avoid going completely flat would be a sealant-based tubeless setup. It would most likely be fine, but there is an off chance you might break the bead seal when you go move the bike around. But again, not a catastrophe if it happens.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-23-20, 10:10 AM
Snow Dog

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been keeping them topped off during storage for the past 21 years. I should have asked this question decades ago.
Old 06-23-20, 10:52 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
You have 21 year old tires?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-23-20, 11:02 AM
Snow Dog

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You have 21 year old tires?
Ha! I might not ride a whole lot but I do ride more than that. I have however, ridden the same bike all this time. I almost bought a new one about a month ago but I changed my mind.
Old 06-23-20, 11:41 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Just don't let the tires go completely flat if the bike is sitting on the floor. That looks bad but don't know about actual damage.
Originally Posted by Snow Dog
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been keeping them topped off during storage for the past 21 years. I should have asked this question decades ago.
If it is in a dark cool climate controlled (inside) basement, there should be will be no damage to the tire or a butyl tube unless it is damp or near an ozone generating source like an electric motor. I had a bike with hand made original Clement cotton casing clinchers. I got out of riding for 10 years. When I checked on the bike if the tires were totally flat, I would reinflate them and say I have to start riding again. When I got back into riding, I checked them visually (no cracks or checking) and slowly pumped them up for some around the neighborhood riding. When that test was passed, I used them for another year, while searching for a decent 27" tire that would work on non-hook bead rims. These were tan sidewall tires, but were NOT gumwalls. The actual gumwall on cheaper tires tends to deteriorate faster than the tread.

Disclaimer: These results were limited to those tires, in my basement. I suspect any quality tire and butyl tubes should be similar.
Likes For Bill in VA: