Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cino 2020 - save the date!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino 2020 - save the date!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-20, 10:37 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I have another question. Is there a customary activity for wives/significant others during the two days we're riding? Make it two questions - are wives welcome at the Saturday dinner? Make it three... iab. are you planning of making it this year?
IAB has answered #3 , I can answer the first two:

1) Wives can ride along with, they can drive ahead and soak at Hot Springs, they have even driven SAG (we love volunteers!).

2) There will be an option to purchase an extra dinner for spouses, just like last year.
Old 03-13-20, 10:15 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Preparing for Cino - today’s vintage group ride:

Here’s to hoping that September is far enough away to get a handle on this Corona virus...
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 03-14-20, 01:49 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Preparing for Cino - today’s vintage group ride:

Here’s to hoping that September is far enough away to get a handle on this Corona virus...
Its kind of nice Eroica was cancelled, it would have been tough for everyone to get period correct "gas masks" for the event, and to get enough rod brake compatible bio hazard suits in time for the event would have been impossible!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 05-01-20, 08:30 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 148 Posts
Any update on the status of Cino 2020?
Old 05-01-20, 10:11 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
Any update on the status of Cino 2020?
Too soon.
Old 05-01-20, 03:09 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

It's still in planning stages. It's been challenging with the entire situation from many different angles. But I still have my hopes high!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 05-01-20, 04:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
It's still in planning stages. It's been challenging with the entire situation from many different angles. But I still have my hopes high!
Despite the travel paradigm, this event should be remote and select enough to manage and go off well if the plague continues the somewhat downward trajectory.

Goers may want to try and get tested in the near runup to be sure.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-02-20, 01:25 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts

Ha! That's me on the right. (Yeah, I hadn't washed my hair for a couple of days... so embarrassing )
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-26-20, 03:57 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
We all knew it was likely......it's still a bummer though....

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the cancellation of the 2020 Cino – another annual event has fallen victim to the CoronaVirus.

Montana is naturally socially distanced from the rest of the US and has the lowest infection count in the lower 48, but as we open back up to tourism, the virus follows. We are still not allowed to have gatherings of more than 50 and with our steadily increasing case-counts I don’t foresee any change in that policy in the near future. Many options were considered, but in the end the safety of our participants, volunteers and staff outweighed the benefit of holding the event.
https://www.cinorider.com/
Old 06-26-20, 04:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Bummer, thanks mountaindave on the bright side personally, I have another year to procrastinate on getting into shape to do this

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-26-20, 06:15 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
One more year to prepare. Will be glad to get all this behind us, and hope our community can stay safe and well.
Old 06-26-20, 07:18 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Sigh.
Another one bites the dust.
Perfectly understandable and not sure I’m ready to fly cross country yet myself, but still.
Sad.
Stay healthy, my friend!
Old 06-27-20, 01:27 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Old 06-27-20, 10:01 AM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 118 Posts

I just read about this, looks like a fantastic event.
​​​
​Maybe I could swing 2021. My Ironman would qualify with minor tweaks, although the biggest I can run is 25mm tires. It isn't the most forgiving of rides, though.

I may need another N+1!
Old 06-27-20, 08:44 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I think I'm in some sort of special group since I considered going to the very first one but haven't actually been to one yet. But, I am sorry to hear about the cancellation although I do think it's the responsible thing to do. I'm hoping to make it to the 2021 event and hope my friends are still living in Whitefish. If nothing else, my niece is now living in Bozeman and that's in MT right? Stay well and enjoy the summer and we'll all meet up again some day I'm sure.
Old 06-27-20, 09:40 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by tgot
I just read about this, looks like a fantastic event.
​​​
​Maybe I could swing 2021. My Ironman would qualify with minor tweaks, although the biggest I can run is 25mm tires. It isn't the most forgiving of rides, though.

I may need another N+1!
Not that I would ever discourage someone from buying another bike but I have ridden Cino twice on tires that measured around 26mm so it certainly is possible.

And if you haven't seen this....
Old 06-28-20, 07:18 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Yep, I get it. My reservations at Glacier N.P. were just cancelled too as the Blackfeet have wisely decided to keep the reservation closed the rest of the tourist season. It's all good. Montana is not going anywhere and will still be there next year.

When the state does open back up this will be me rushing to return, LOL!

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/156865507

Or maybe this.....

Montana is worth the wait.

Old 06-28-20, 09:57 AM
tgot 

Epic

Originally Posted by Choke
Not that I would ever discourage someone from buying another bike but I have ridden Cino twice on tires that measured around 26mm so it certainly is possible.

And if you haven't seen this.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHXxy6CTM40
Beautiful! I've since learned that the California Erotica is pretty close. Maybe that's my test run, although it looks hillier.

Thank you for the feedback on tires.
Old 06-28-20, 10:14 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by tgot
Beautiful! I've since learned that the California Erotica is pretty close. Maybe that's my test run, although it looks hillier.

Thank you for the feedback on tires.
Maybe just a typo: it's Eroica, not Erotica. Eroica is Italian for heroic. If you want Erotica, Portland has it's Naked Bike Ride (cancelled this year).

People riding narrow tires on either are masochists, IMO, but anybody riding either of these routes enjoys the suffering, so maybe that's redundant.

If you can do the 3 hill climbs at Eroica California, you can do Cino.

Last edited by gugie; 06-28-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 10:31 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
I think I'm in some sort of special group since I considered going to the very first one but haven't actually been to one yet. But, I am sorry to hear about the cancellation although I do think it's the responsible thing to do. I'm hoping to make it to the 2021 event and hope my friends are still living in Whitefish. If nothing else, my niece is now living in Bozeman and that's in MT right? Stay well and enjoy the summer and we'll all meet up again some day I'm sure.
some Montana's question whether Bozeman is MT anymore with the number of Californians who have moved

Old 06-28-20, 11:28 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
West side from Apgar to Logan pass is open...

...so the biking is still available. I just got home after four weeks of my Covid-19 2020 tour out there. I spent 8 days in the area. Worth it!!!

Old 06-28-20, 11:38 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
We'll just have to be patient this year and hope for better times in 2021.

Keep the flame alive wherever you are by rolling your own. For example;

The Iron Horse Trail has been my "go to” Covid ride when I just want to pop out on a moments notice. Social Distancing is never an issue, it's never crowded. You can go for as long as you’d like…
On Friday I did a variation by myself which included 2 loops that got me off the trail and into some interesting and challenging riding:
- Getting off the trail at Hyak, crossing the freeway and taking NF 4832 over to Lake Kachess Rd.
- Getting off at Hyak, riding over the pass down the old pass road (Denny Creek), taking Tinkham Road to the trailhead and climbing back up to the iron horse trail on the (singletrack) McClellan Butte trail.
NF 4832 is steep, the gravel is loose and washboard in places on the climb/descent. I wouldn’t do it on anything less than 32mm.
Anyways, It’s a neat loop, a little hike-a-bike required. A good all day ride.
There's water available at the Hyak trailhead on the way out and stop at the Commonwealth Restaurant / DruBru Brewery at Snoqualmie Summit before you head back down off the pass.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33155549

For Seattle area forumites, grab a face mask, some hand sanitizer, pack a lunch and join me.
I'd be happy to lead a handful of folks on a hot summer day. If you start at Rattlesnake Lake, bring a swimsuit and towel for a swim afterwards..

Matt
Old 06-28-20, 01:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by northbend
We'll just have to be patient this year and hope for better times in 2021.

Keep the flame alive wherever you are by rolling your own. For example;

The Iron Horse Trail has been my "go to” Covid ride when I just want to pop out on a moments notice. Social Distancing is never an issue, it's never crowded. You can go for as long as you’d like…
On Friday I did a variation by myself which included 2 loops that got me off the trail and into some interesting and challenging riding:
- Getting off the trail at Hyak, crossing the freeway and taking NF 4832 over to Lake Kachess Rd.
- Getting off at Hyak, riding over the pass down the old pass road (Denny Creek), taking Tinkham Road to the trailhead and climbing back up to the iron horse trail on the (singletrack) McClellan Butte trail.
NF 4832 is steep, the gravel is loose and washboard in places on the climb/descent. I wouldn’t do it on anything less than 32mm.
Anyways, It’s a neat loop, a little hike-a-bike required. A good all day ride.
There's water available at the Hyak trailhead on the way out and stop at the Commonwealth Restaurant / DruBru Brewery at Snoqualmie Summit before you head back down off the pass.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33155549

For Seattle area forumites, grab a face mask, some hand sanitizer, pack a lunch and join me.
I'd be happy to lead a handful of folks on a hot summer day. If you start at Rattlesnake Lake, bring a swimsuit and towel for a swim afterwards..

Matt
Matt, with Eroica, Cino, and every other organized ride shut down, and knowing my annual one or two multi-day credit card rides with buddies probably not a good idea, I think you'll see me up north a few times this summer!
Old 06-28-20, 01:56 PM
tgot 

Originally Posted by gugie
Maybe just a typo: it's Eroica, not Erotica. Eroica is Italian for heroic. If you want Erotica, Portland has it's Naked Bike Ride (cancelled this year).

People riding narrow tires on either are masochists, IMO, but anybody riding either of these routes enjoys the suffering, so maybe that's redundant.

If you can do the 3 hill climbs at Eroica California, you can do Cino.
I'm going to blame autocorrect, but thank you.

It's unclear whether I can ride those hills on my C&V bike; my biggest ride (as an adult) was Devil's Slide ride Merciless Metric in 2018, 60mi&6000ft, but that was on my newer bike with a triple. And I needed all of the 34-28 low gear.

My 39-32 on the Ironman is basically the same, but it's a bailout, nothing else close.
Old 07-06-20, 04:28 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Dear Cinophiles,

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the cancellation of the 2020 Cino – another annual event has fallen victim to the CoronaVirus.

Montana is naturally socially distanced from the rest of the US and has the lowest infection count in the lower 48, but as we open back up to tourism, the virus follows. We are still not allowed to have gatherings of more than 50 and with our steadily increasing case-counts I don’t foresee any change in that policy in the near future. Many options were considered, but in the end the safety of our participants, volunteers and staff outweighed the benefit of holding the event.

It is my sincere hope that next year will see a viable vaccine for all citizens of the world and that we can again come together to ride, socialize and celebrate as in days of old.

Until then, be well and ride on in small, socially distanced groups.

David Cummings
Cino Director