Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pack, chain and tool

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 10:01 AM
Nathan_S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,

A couple of questions from a relative newbie:

1. See below/attached for a pic of the current 'pack' I have on my bike. It fits below the seat. I'm looking for a bigger pack and my strong preference is that it fit in the same spot. Any recommendations? If now, any other recs on a different way to carry more? I have some back issues and don't like the feeling of a backpack or putting things in the back of my bike jersey. Any links to a product would be great, Amazon is great but not strictly necessary.
(I'm not able to post links yet, for some reason, so trying it this way. Remove the W from the link below to see the picture.)
httpsW://www.dropbox.com/s/7j2os8mkpn2oyzr/pack.jpeg?dl=0

2. The second picture should show my bike lock. I had it mounted on my bike via the holder that it came with but recently added a second water bottle that displaced it. The spot I have it in, wrapped around the seat post is not great becasue it moves around (it made contact with the back tire at one point) or gets in the way of my riding. I would like to have a way to lock my bike up because I sometimes stop at a store for a water refill or other places. Any recs on what I can do? Willing to buy another product if necessary.

(I'm not able to post links yet, for some reason, so trying it this way. Remove the W from the link below to see the picture.)

httpsW://www.dropbox.com/s/kiviyrwlgktw6pt/chain.jpeg?dl=0

3. Any recs on a tool I can get for tire changing? I recently changed the tire on my sons bike (woohoo!) but used those plastic pieces (not sure what they are called) to get the tire off. One of them snapped so thinking a metal one would be good. Also curious what people carry with them in terms of changing a tire on the road (supposed something needed to inflate the tire) and that gets into the storage question too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nathan
Old 06-30-20, 11:47 AM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 06-30-20, 01:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Sometimes I want to carry a pair of bicycling tights after it warms up and I don't need them on me. Plus a pair of arm warmers and a lightweight jacket shell. I rigged up a handlebar bag mount that fits onto my seatpost and positions the handlebar bag behind the seatpost. I can carry my clothing, repair gear, a couple of spare tubes and a bottle or two of water and some snacks in that handlebar bag. I used a threadless stem and a cut down handle bar to make the bag support/mount.

Tire levers, I use Park tire levers. Cheap tire levers either brake or bend to the point they can't lift the tire from the tire seat. Buy quality tire levers.

CHeers
Old 06-30-20, 02:23 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Very clever, but why didn't you just attach the bag to your handlebar?
Old 06-30-20, 03:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Changing tires just takes practice ... and some tires can be really hard to stretch over the lip of the rim. I use three levers sometimes, and a metal one is handy, sometimes. Check YouTube for videos, Someone there might have a tip or two i cannot think off.

Yes, you will need to buy a portable pump. I don't spend a lot but for $20-$30 you can get a good one. Make sure the pump will inflate to sufficient pressure for the tires you use.

You can get a handlebar bag to carry the lock.
Old 06-30-20, 03:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Sometimes I want to carry a pair of bicycling tights after it warms up and I don't need them on me. Plus a pair of arm warmers and a lightweight jacket shell. I rigged up a handlebar bag mount that fits onto my seatpost and positions the handlebar bag behind the seatpost. I can carry my clothing, repair gear, a couple of spare tubes and a bottle or two of water and some snacks in that handlebar bag. I used a threadless stem and a cut down handle bar to make the bag support/mount.
maybe overkill, but I like the ingenuity.

@Nathan_S: You can also get a rack which bolts onto the seat post, or (assuming your bike has fittings or you can fiddle a bit) a regular rear rack. All my working bikes get rear racks.
Old 06-30-20, 05:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Very clever, but why didn't you just attach the bag to your handlebar?
Having the handelbar bag behind the saddle doesn't affect the steering if it's heavily loaded and also leaves space on the handlebar for my center mounted water bottle. Not my bike.

Cheers
Old 07-01-20, 06:44 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
I use these, an Acorn Tool Roll. I have at least 4 and they fit on the Brooks Bag loops.

Old 07-03-20, 01:48 PM
Nathan_S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks awesome! It's exactly what I would like, a bag on the stem with tons of space. I'm an amateur woodworker, but am intimidated by the project without more details as to what parts I need and how to put it all together. I don't suppose you have more details?
Old 07-03-20, 06:56 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Geez, how much does that weigh?
Old 07-03-20, 08:30 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Kool Stop makes a nifty articulating tire tool to pull the bead without risking the tire wall or tube.