Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turns out clipless pedals no better than flat pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Turns out clipless pedals no better than flat pedals

Old 06-30-20, 12:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
According to this Youtuber who cited a bunch of studies:
The video definitely did not conclude that "clipless pedals no better than flat pedals".
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-30-20, 01:24 PM
Jv_247

Bikes: Nishiki Trim Master 1989, Torpado MTB ? 1991 , Peugeot PGN-10 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
You know what’s really inefficient? Having your foot come off the pedal unexpectedly.
If your foot dont come off the pedal when you forget to unclipp, you may end up in tears.
Old 06-30-20, 01:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Jv_247
If your foot dont come off the pedal when you forget to unclipp, you may end up in tears.
True. But old guys like me who started with actual clips and straps tend not to forget because it is so incredibly easier with clipless.
Old 06-30-20, 01:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Jv_247
I've fallen over clipped or strapped in many times over the past 50 years. If you accept you just made a fool of yourself, relax and rotate your knee and elbow out a little so they hit first and keep your hands on the handlebars, not a whole lot happens. A couple of minor bruises. So far, rarely any broken skin. no broken bones, no medical visits, no ongoing issues and no tears. Completely NOT an issue for me even though it happens. Now that may change as I ride into my 70s and 80s. We'll see.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-30-20, 02:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Of all the things that didn't happen, this didn't happen the most.

Sorry, seen it several times, usually sat a traffic light. No, we really didn't have the conversation.
Old 06-30-20, 03:11 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, seen it several times, usually sat a traffic light. No, we really didn't have the conversation.
And then did you wake up?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-30-20, 04:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You know what’s really inefficient? Having your foot come off the pedal unexpectedly.
Riders fault, not the pedals.
Old 06-30-20, 04:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Riders fault, not the pedals.
I'm guessing some of the riders on this thread never sprint. Or climb steep hills. Or ride over rough ground. Or sprint up steep hills with rough ground (that's for the crossers).

I guess if you can do those things, and have complete assurance that you'll keep your foot on the pedal, you're better rider than I. Chapeau. Clipless pedals are for mere schlubs like me.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-30-20, 04:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by pdlamb
And then did you wake up?
Denial is strong with this crowd. You've seriously never seen a fumbled clip in? I'm guessing it happens a lot more than the mythical bounce off the platforms.
​​​​​​
Old 06-30-20, 05:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm guessing some of the riders on this thread never sprint. Or climb steep hills. Or ride over rough ground. Or sprint up steep hills with rough ground (that's for the crossers).

I guess if you can do those things, and have complete assurance that you'll keep your foot on the pedal, you're better rider than I. Chapeau. Clipless pedals are for mere schlubs like me.

Or maybe if you've done all those things on platforms all your life like I have, you realize there's this thing called gravity that tends to keep your feet on the pedals.

Shocking that if you do something one way, you actually get confident in your abilities to do it and if you don't do it that way, you might have some exaggerated fears.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-30-20, 05:08 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Are we doing this again?

Seems like every few months somebody discovers a ‘ Hidden Truth’ about ...
Standard indicator of a past its prime Internet forum.
Likes For cybirr:
Old 06-30-20, 05:18 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
So what's everybody's favorite clipless pedal lube?
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-30-20, 05:37 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

I haven’t bothered reading every post. But, these childhood shin scrapers get my vote. Forget all that high tech stuff. Otherwise, blah, blah, blah. Ride what ya like.

Last edited by Ilbiker; 06-30-20 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Picture update
Old 06-30-20, 05:43 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
So what's everybody's favorite clipless pedal lube?
Finally someone instilling some new and useful questions regarding the topic of pedal types. On my clipless pedals I like to go with ultrasonic waxing with teflon... before every ride. It's a lot of work but the results are well worth it.

Another benefit of flat pedals is they don't need this to be just as fast.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-30-20, 05:47 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Clipless are good for pro racing but they are pointless for commuting or recreational riding.
If you regularly commute in the rain like i do, clipless pedals are anything but pointless. It's nice knowing my shoe is going to stay attached to the pedal as I get out of the saddle to get going after being stopped at a busy intersection in the pouring rain.
Old 06-30-20, 06:02 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
you need larger pedals to give you more even pressure for more comfort. thats why I got these guys for my big size 13,5 feet. makes most shoes work and my feet don't slip and my feet don't bend.

Old 06-30-20, 06:07 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Next up: the debate of ski bindings vs surf boards. Who can be more obstinate?
Old 06-30-20, 06:47 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
One can try a simple experiment and decide. Ride with old fashioned clip ins with the strap loose, then tighten the straps down firmly, decide which is more effective/efficient
Old 06-30-20, 06:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Do folks not realize that many people mountain bike in the wet, in the mud, and over insanely rough terrain with flat pedals without slipping off? Climbing, sprinting, in all those conditions.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-30-20, 07:11 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I have three bikes with platforms and one with clipless. Two of them are just for casual riding and platforms are good enough for goofing around. I use platforms on the MTB due to my lack of skill/ confidence while offroad and I hate the handicap the platforms impose on me but see them as a necessary evil for now. The clipless pedals on my serious road bike give me positive attachment to the pedals and are definitely superior to the platforms.
Old 06-30-20, 07:17 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I still ride with toe clips and straps so I feel left out. I will say that I have retired my old leathers and ride a rigid touring shoe without a cleat.

But years ago nothing was more efficient than being strapped to the pedals with cleats firmly locked. It didn’t matter if you were right side up of upside down you could still pedal. And in a crash you could never lose your bike. Usually it just followed you wherever you went, but not always.

But even without cleats, stupidity reigns. About a month ago I pulled out my right foot, like always, stopped, and leaned to the left.

John
Old 06-30-20, 07:18 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I just put some shimano spd xtr clipless pedals on my 2021 Specialized Diverge and it seems to help me go faster. Definitely looks cooler lol.
Likes For LSUFANDAN:
Old 06-30-20, 07:26 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
True. But old guys like me who started with actual clips and straps tend not to forget because it is so incredibly easier with clipless.
This is my experience. I did all my commuting on toe clips with Avocet AV-30 touring shoes. These were excellent shoes that didn't lock you into the pedal like true cleats do. The main problem is my feet would tend to jam into the clips and make my toes a bit sore. Going to clipless, was much easier. I had to unlearn my muscle memory of reaching down to loosen the strap approaching a stop. If you new guys think unclipping at a stop can be hard, just try getting out of toeclips that you have cinched down. Of course the advantage is in stop and go you can leave one strap loose and get out of the pedal easily. The other skill is taking off and flipping the pedal and getting into the clip. But if platforms work for you, go for it. My problem with them, is my habit is to place the pedal at the top and unclip, which means my clipped in foot is on the bottom. So I just lift the pedal without thinking, but to do that on platforms you have to take your foot off and push up from underneath or in front of the pedal. That and I guess I'm just used to being locked in. Never tried pins though. That may be different, but see no reason to find out myself. I do ride stationary bike in running or court shoes. See no relation between that and being on the road. I can see for off road it might be different. I mostly use my toe clips/ touring shoe setup if I go off-road (isn't much these days ).

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 06-30-20, 07:29 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Meh. Try getting out of toe clips (EDIT:+ slotted cleats) and straps that you have strapped down and your riding FIXED gear! That's when you learn to do a standstill, which is actually quite easy when your fixed gear.

Modern clipless systems are a doddle.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 07-01-20 at 01:27 AM.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 06-30-20, 07:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
After I broke my ankle several years ago, I had to use flat pedals (spikey ones with 5/10s work quite well), but I realized I couldn't stand up to climb on hills without the fear of having a foot come off, and it was really holding me back.

One minor thing I noticed is that flat pedals with spikes gives you considerably less float than SPDs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.