Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike bad ideas

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike bad ideas

Old 07-02-20, 01:35 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Bike bad ideas

https://pardo.net/bike/pic/mobi/index.html
Old 07-02-20, 01:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Old 07-02-20, 02:45 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
How about just telling us what the article is about?
Old 07-03-20, 11:19 AM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts

Sorry about the screwup. I didn't have the problem when I went to the site.

The Bicycle Museum of Bad Ideas

Why a museum of bad ideas? One reason is we learn from our mistakes. Failures tell us limits of what we can and should do. Unfortunately, we like to remember our heroes, but less often our villians. As example, Amherst College and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst graduate thousands of students every year; they live everywhere in the U.S.; and when I ask, most folks have heard of Amherst. Yet almost nobody I ask knows Amherst was the guy who invented the idea of giving smallpox-laden blankets to native Americans. Bad bike parts do not compare to killing people, but there are still things to be learned.

A second reason is it's fun. Sometimes the badness is obvious, and as you look in awe you say "What were they thinking?" Or, as I like to say, they were suffering from a misplaced comma: "What, were they thinking?" Some of these are fun like a knee-slapper. Other times, the badness is subtle and it almost seems it should have worked. These are fun like a puzzle. Occasionally you get a winner that combines the obvious and the subtle, like the Gipiemme Colrut Crank. Wow.

Many ideas are bad only in context. If your goal is to make the lightest bike at any cost, some "bad" ideas work well. The problem is using those ideas on ordinary bikes for ordinary riders. So, some things here are always bad, while others are here because they represent my personal bias about what makes sense. I hope you find humor in those, too.
You can send e-mail to "mobi-0001". The add
Old 07-03-20, 12:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Privacy Error on every link.

Cheers
Old 07-03-20, 01:44 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Add my post, "Lengthening a Steerer Tube"
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 07-03-20, 04:06 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
How about adding Campy's "Compact cranks" with the 110mm BCD, almost. Design it with one offset bolt to assure no other 110 mm chainring can ever be used.
Old 07-04-20, 10:32 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
All 26" tires, or just some of the numerous with a 26 diameter designation?
Old 07-04-20, 11:00 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
How about adding Campy's "Compact cranks" with the 110mm BCD, almost. Design it with one offset bolt to assure no other 110 mm chainring can ever be used.
No different that Shimano’s current 4 bolt asymmetric.

The reason I totally understand. This is done for mistake proofing. Google “Poke-Yoke”. You can’t screw up the clocking of the teeth.

From Camry’s point of view, it protects them from “my shifting sucks, I get tons of chain skipping” complaints when people just clocked their rings incorrectly. Matched chainring sets are totally a thing with ramps in precise places to pick up a chain off of a tooth that is in a predicted location.