Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stans inside tubes - how much?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-05-20, 12:30 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I have one bike setup tubeless but another that shall remain tubed. I thought I'd have a go at putting some Stans inside the tubes as an experiment---seems to work for some folks. I figure if it can seal the occasional goat head puncture it's a win.
I normally put the standard 2 oz in my 650B tubeless bike tires. How much Stans would you use in a 700c tube? the same 2 oz, or less? The tires are 700c x 40.

nvm--Stan's says 1-2 oz in tubes. Gonna give it a try....

Last edited by pbass; 07-05-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-05-20, 04:45 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
The same, 2 oz.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 07-05-20, 09:00 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
I put 2 oz in mine. Works really well.
Old 07-06-20, 04:35 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Stans will eventually turn into "Stanimals"(clumps of hardened latex) inside the tube. In a tubeless tire, its easy to remove them. In a tube, they are never coming out and you will have to trash the tube after they get big enough to cause a wheel imbalance.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 07-06-20, 11:16 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Stans will eventually turn into "Stanimals"(clumps of hardened latex) inside the tube. In a tubeless tire, its easy to remove them. In a tube, they are never coming out and you will have to trash the tube after they get big enough to cause a wheel imbalance.
Will be interesting to see what happens first--the Stanimals, or a tube that I have to toss 'cause it's beyond worth fixing.
I have to admit to being pretty lazy as to cleaning out my tubeless tires in my other bike. It's been probably a year---I've just added some Stan's every 3 months. Wonder what it looks like in there....
Old 07-06-20, 11:20 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
30ml 1 oz is for standard recommendation (from all the sealants I have looked at) for road tubes and 60ml/2oz for Mtn Bike tubes. So far the product that has worked best for me is caffelatex