Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turns out clipless pedals no better than flat pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Turns out clipless pedals no better than flat pedals

Old 07-06-20, 10:44 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
With respect to what shoes to use now with flats? Like reaching for...

Likes For gios:
Old 07-06-20, 10:50 PM
plittle2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
May I use that priceless pic for political purposes?
Old 07-07-20, 12:59 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I recently saw an experienced looking cyclist (based on his equipment and attitude) up ahead of me, going up a hill, fall unexpectedly. As I approached him, struggling to get his feet unclipped from his pedals, I asked if he was OK and If he needed help. He was OK and said his chain came off and he didn't need help, despite the fact he still hadn't managed to get unclipped.

As an older cyclist, I'd be sad to break a hip or anything else over a chain coming off. It's pedals with toe clips, MTB shoes, straps not tightened, on my three bikes. Feet are secure and can't slip off pedals, and I can back out of them instantly. Safest setup of all, I think.
I can almost guarantee you that if your chain unexpectedly comes off or breaks in the middle of a power stroke of a sprint, you are going down to the ground. Clipless or platforms won't help either way.
Likes For Melvang:
Old 07-07-20, 04:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by plittle2005
Efficiency is increased by:

1. Keeping your foot in the correct ball-over-pedal-axle position

2. preventing your foot from moving out of position when unloading the weight of the upstroke leg

Toe clips, mini-clips or clipless all accomplish this, and mini's are the easiest to escape from when going down.

All lashed-in and going hell-for-TT is great but who rides like that regularly? Climbing, pedaling hard and then your foot slips while unloading the upstroke is a bummer to correct, so......I just use simple mini-cliips and can focus on a smooth cadence, and not having to use my downstroke leg to lift that ungrateful heavy upstroke leg.....what's not to like?

This is the claim that totally mystifies me as someone who does all my riding on platforms. I'm no KOM contender, but I'm good on climbs and do a lot of it. I've never had any problems with my feet needing to be repositioned during a climb, either sitting or standing. And I know this isn't a serious data point as I don't race, but I pass people on clipless on hills all the time, and I don't think I've ever been passed in that situation once since I started distance riding.
I totally defer to people who say they need clipless for competitive sprinting, but I'm not going to defer to people saying "you can't do x on platforms " when they are describing something I do regularly. I don't think I'm quite that special.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-07-20, 05:10 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is the claim that totally mystifies me as someone who does all my riding on platforms. I'm no KOM contender, but I'm good on climbs and do a lot of it. I've never had any problems with my feet needing to be repositioned during a climb, either sitting or standing. And I know this isn't a serious data point as I don't race, but I pass people on clipless on hills all the time, and I don't think I've ever been passed in that situation once since I started distance riding.
I totally defer to people who say they need clipless for competitive sprinting, but I'm not going to defer to people saying "you can't do x on platforms " when they are describing something I do regularly. I don't think I'm quite that special.
You mean gravity is enough to keep ones feet on the pedals? That's crazy talk!
Likes For subgrade:
Old 07-07-20, 06:04 AM
Mesher

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I once rode 60 miles on a hybrid in running shoes on flat pedals, I'll NEVER do that again, not on purpose anyways!
Was it because the running shoes were too flexible? Would you do it again with other footwear?
Old 07-07-20, 07:35 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I like clipless on my mountain bike because it's easier to get the rear wheel in the air. I like clipless on road bike because I feel more secure going fast. I like flats on everything else because life is just simpler if you wear normal shoes I don't want to clop around the grocery store on my way home from work, or clop in the bar to have a beer.

Horses (pedals) for courses
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 07-07-20, 10:58 AM
twowheelies

Bikes: 2021 Roubaix, 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I think it all depends on the bike you're riding... I have clipless pedals on my "newer" road bike, toeclips on my "vintage" bike, and flat pedals on my hybrid... its actually really nice to have your foot secured to the pedal on a longer ride, even if around the city and i have to clip out at intersections once in a while. But around the neighborhood would be kind of silly. All depends on what you're doing that day.
Old 07-07-20, 11:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
How can you people not realize the danger and lack of control you experience when your foot isn't securely attached to the pedal on smooth tarmac? What if your foot slips?

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-07-20, 11:57 AM
twowheelies

Bikes: 2021 Roubaix, 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by paul barnard
how can you people not realize the danger and lack of control you experience when your foot isn't securely attached to the pedal on smooth tarmac? What if your foot slips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fauncwsxuy

🤣🤣🤣
Old 07-07-20, 12:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I once duct taped my feet to the pedals and had a terrible time getting out of them in time, and they took forever to get back in to.

I'm never using foot retention again.

Sounds absurd? Yes it is, just like people riding cheap crappy flats in tennis shoes and thinking they know something about riding decent flats.
Old 07-07-20, 04:05 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
It just hit me today as sounding odd that we call clip in pedals “clipless”. As a long time user of toe clips beginning in the 70s, I suppose I understand why the term was used to differentiate the new product back then: no toe clips needed.

Still, it seems odd today that we have platform pedals that really don’t have any type of clip, and yet we call the ones with a dedicated shoe clipping mechanism “clipless”. Language is funny. Just my two cents.

Oh, and this thread has me thinking about trying out toe clips again after four years of only using platform pedals and not really giving it much thought. 😊

Otto
Old 07-07-20, 07:21 PM
daleb116

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever works for each of us. My pedals are flat one one side and let me attach to the other. Mostly riding the flat side lately. Somewhere I think I still have my old toe clips....
Old 07-07-20, 07:47 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by daleb116
Whatever works for each of us. My pedals are flat one one side and let me attach to the other. Mostly riding the flat side lately. Somewhere I think I still have my old toe clips....
Yeah I still have my old KKT toe clips, but no straps in sight. Guess I’ll need to get some so I can try it out.

Otto
Old 07-07-20, 09:15 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Mesher
Was it because the running shoes were too flexible? Would you do it again with other footwear?
possibly..... but I have issues with keeping it casual when riding solo. So I'd rather be clippless.
Old 07-07-20, 09:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
How can you people not realize the danger and lack of control you experience when your foot isn't securely attached to the pedal on smooth tarmac? What if your foot slips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FAuNcWSxuY
Why do they even have pedals on those bikes? Did they pedal to the top of the mountain?
Old 07-16-20, 06:02 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I recently dragged my fixed wheel bike out from the back of the shed and cleared the dust off it.

It certainly helps to be clipped in riding fixed.

Now can we bury the term clipless in favour of clipped in pedals or cleats?

Mike
Likes For RohloffRoller:
Old 07-22-20, 01:37 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's not about which pedal is better, it has nothing to do with watts or efficiency or any of that...It's all about personal preference. Even if somebody provided scientific proof that clipless are more efficient I still wouldn't use them, I would continue to use platforms.
thats dumb dude , proves my point you will just use them to spite others saying its not good , the facts are clipless has more benefits than flats , even some straps are better , do you boo boo, let me know when you do a 200 mile ride on flats see how your feet feel after 12 hours
Old 07-22-20, 04:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Toespeas
thats dumb dude , proves my point you will just use them to spite others saying its not good , the facts are clipless has more benefits than flats , even some straps are better , do you boo boo, let me know when you do a 200 mile ride on flats see how your feet feel after 12 hours

I've done a 168 mile ride, several dozen 150 mile rides, weekly centuries on flats, climbed 12,000 feet over 200 miles in two days a couple of times and my feet are fine. Does that count?

Really dumb comment. Platform pedals are actually easier on your feet. Feet aren't designed to pull up and have pressure applied to the same exact spot.

Again, I don't argue you should give up clipless, but you really need to stop making crap up about platforms.
Old 07-22-20, 09:35 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
I've done a 168 mile ride, several dozen 150 mile rides, weekly centuries on flats, climbed 12,000 feet over 200 miles in two days a couple of times and my feet are fine. Does that count?

Really dumb comment. Platform pedals are actually easier on your feet. Feet aren't designed to pull up and have pressure applied to the same exact spot.

Again, I don't argue you should give up clipless, but you really need to stop making crap up about platforms.
At the risk of you just trying to make a point I'll say this.

It's about the shoes. A soft flexible shoe will cause issues with flat pedals whereas a stiff shoe probably won't. Though I guess the shoe needs to be a specific cycling shoe nonetheless since I haven't had good results with hiking shoes, stiff boots etc.

On the other hand a properly stiffened cycling shoe isn't going to cause pressure point issues even with the smallest spd cleats. Potential instability can be remedied with larger spd pedals which have a larger platform (never tried spd-sl or other road standards so I don't know about those).

Having the "pressure" in the exact same spot means my foot will be consistently positioned and that helps me to avoid other issues like joint pain, back pain etc.

I've never had a hot spot or foot issue even though I've toured thousands of miles on small profile spd's.

Also profusely bleeding shins is something I don't miss.
Old 07-22-20, 10:44 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
let me know when you do a 200 mile ride on flats see how your feet feel after 12 hours
Seriously?

What exactly do you think is going to happen with a good pair flats and shoes?

Really curious what is going to happen to me after 12 hours that has not happened to me in 10 hours.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-22-20, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by elcruxio
At the risk of you just trying to make a point I'll say this.

It's about the shoes. A soft flexible shoe will cause issues with flat pedals whereas a stiff shoe probably won't. Though I guess the shoe needs to be a specific cycling shoe nonetheless since I haven't had good results with hiking shoes, stiff boots etc.

On the other hand a properly stiffened cycling shoe isn't going to cause pressure point issues even with the smallest spd cleats. Potential instability can be remedied with larger spd pedals which have a larger platform (never tried spd-sl or other road standards so I don't know about those).

Having the "pressure" in the exact same spot means my foot will be consistently positioned and that helps me to avoid other issues like joint pain, back pain etc.

I've never had a hot spot or foot issue even though I've toured thousands of miles on small profile spd's.

Also profusely bleeding shins is something I don't miss.

I'm just going to stick to commenting on the comfort of flats because, as I've said repeatedly, I have no experience with clipless. I do know that my congenitally malformed ankles cannot tolerate any upward torque, so any advantages of SPDs would be lost on me. I also know I have heard people who use them complain about hot spots, and have never heard anyone who uses platforms do that.

As far as the stiffness of the sole being a big factor in comfort on the flats, I have not noticed this to be the case. I have had good results with any flat-bottomed shoe with reasonable support. I actually have very fragile feet due to the ankle problems, and I would probably be more, not less, sensitive any problem along those lines. I'm not questioning whether you've had those problems with less-stiff soles, but I can say that they're not universal. My best results have been with New Balance skate shoes and sneakers, my worst result might be the century I just rode with a new pair of Five Tens I just bought on sale, but that might be a breaking in thing. Up to them, I've never owned a pair of bicycling shoes, I found the last 10 miles much less comfortable than with New Balance.

Sorry, can't relate to the shin problem. I've gotten a couple (that's two, literally) minor scratches on my shins in 10s of thousands of miles riding with my Chesters, but nothing that ever bled profusely. I think I had one that bled a tiny amount, but it was extremely trivial. I have no idea what you could be doing that would cause routine big cuts when you ride flats. Maybe don't do that and you could use flats.

I don't get the back pain, joint pain, etc, you mention. I think this notion that you will get them if your feet move a little is ridiculous and yet another thing people make up to argue against the use of flats. I have nerve endings in my feet and a nervous system that will let me know if my foot position is causing problems elsewhere, and that seems to be enough to keep my feet within tolerable fit limits. I also (heavens forbid!) occasionally alter my foot position when standing on the pedals going uphill. This shouldn't be surprising, the whole geometry of the bike in relation to the rider actually changes when you're going uphill.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to switch to platforms, but I'm really not going to let them get away with saying "you can't do x on flats" when I do x on flats all the time. That's happened several times in this thread. Someone called someone "dumb" for preferring flats and then proceeded to add distance riding to the list of "can't dos" that I happen to know is BS. I'm not sure you intended to, but you just added "can't ride flats long distance without having back pain or joint pain" to that list--do it all the time, don't get that pain.

It's almost like we have different feet, different strengths an weaknesses, and different pedal preferences. It's a piece of gear, not an identity statement. Using one or the other doesn't make you a better rider than someone else.
Old 07-22-20, 10:48 AM
woofy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I resisted clipless for a very, very long time. Then I tried SPD. The benefits that make them a must have for me are:

1. Feet securely planted - NOT coming off uncontrollably at the wrong time (all times are the wrong time)
2. Foot placement is precise and I do not have to work at it. Spend the same time getting in still, but once in, no adjustment, slipping, etc.
3. The stiffness of the shoe definitely is beneficial overall - I miss it when I do use trainers on my gravel bike, even for short distances

I have scored the crap out of both my ankle and my shin coming off pedals. It happens, especially on gravel. For me it is a skin preserving move above all else. And don't make out like I am some kind of utter idiot because my feet come off here and there. As we used to say, no falls no **lls. If your feet are always firmly planted on your platforms then that's all you need. Good on 'ya. I need more. Period.

I never feel foot pain, pinching or anything negative based on foot placement. I personally think the shoes don't look that great, but whatever. I have relatively comfortable shoes that are easy to get on and off, are walkable and not overly noisy. About as good as it gets.

I'm not going back. That said, my gravel bike has dual use pedals - SPD on one side, flat on the other. Sometimes I am going down to the lake to jump in. Water shoes or trainers are the way to go in that situation, so I have some flexibility. Anything over five miles and I'll be clipped in. There is little that anyone will ever say that will change that. I suspect it is so for the majority of people using clipless.
Old 07-22-20, 11:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by woofy
I resisted clipless for a very, very long time. Then I tried SPD. The benefits that make them a must have for me are:

1. Feet securely planted - NOT coming off uncontrollably at the wrong time (all times are the wrong time)
2. Foot placement is precise and I do not have to work at it. Spend the same time getting in still, but once in, no adjustment, slipping, etc.
3. The stiffness of the shoe definitely is beneficial overall - I miss it when I do use trainers on my gravel bike, even for short distances

I have scored the crap out of both my ankle and my shin coming off pedals. It happens, especially on gravel. For me it is a skin preserving move above all else. And don't make out like I am some kind of utter idiot because my feet come off here and there. As we used to say, no falls no **lls. If your feet are always firmly planted on your platforms then that's all you need. Good on 'ya. I need more. Period.

I never feel foot pain, pinching or anything negative based on foot placement. I personally think the shoes don't look that great, but whatever. I have relatively comfortable shoes that are easy to get on and off, are walkable and not overly noisy. About as good as it gets.

I'm not going back. That said, my gravel bike has dual use pedals - SPD on one side, flat on the other. Sometimes I am going down to the lake to jump in. Water shoes or trainers are the way to go in that situation, so I have some flexibility. Anything over five miles and I'll be clipped in. There is little that anyone will ever say that will change that. I suspect it is so for the majority of people using clipless.

And that's how you write this. All "this is why it works for me" and no "you can't do..." I won't argue with a word of it.

I'm kind of thinking there's a reason that some people find the scratch issue a problem and some don't, maybe people have different dismounting habits due to leg length or something. Our bodies are not standard issue, there are probably lots of things I find awkward that you do easily. For some reason, I don't hit my shins, ankles and calves on the pedals and judging from the posts on this thread, there seem to be a few people who do and a few people who don't. Much as I'd like to ascribe that to some sort of gracefulness on my side, I'm generally a big damn klutz.
Old 07-22-20, 01:03 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
I'm just going to stick to commenting on the comfort of flats because, as I've said repeatedly, I have no experience with clipless. I do know that my congenitally malformed ankles cannot tolerate any upward torque, so any advantages of SPDs would be lost on me. I also know I have heard people who use them complain about hot spots, and have never heard anyone who uses platforms do that.

As far as the stiffness of the sole being a big factor in comfort on the flats, I have not noticed this to be the case. I have had good results with any flat-bottomed shoe with reasonable support. I actually have very fragile feet due to the ankle problems, and I would probably be more, not less, sensitive any problem along those lines. I'm not questioning whether you've had those problems with less-stiff soles, but I can say that they're not universal. My best results have been with New Balance skate shoes and sneakers, my worst result might be the century I just rode with a new pair of Five Tens I just bought on sale, but that might be a breaking in thing. Up to them, I've never owned a pair of bicycling shoes, I found the last 10 miles much less comfortable than with New Balance.
If I try to use any flexible shoe for more than 10 miles (New Balance sneakers for example) my feet sore and lactic. This happens with small platforms and large mtb platforms. I might have weak feet, but I doubt it as I frequently walk and run minimalist/barefoot. It could be my size 47 feet being just too large for platforms to support me properly. I know I'm always shifting my feet for a better position.

The issue goes away with stiffer shoes, but with those it's hard to find a comfortable/powerful position for my feet.

Sorry, can't relate to the shin problem. I've gotten a couple (that's two, literally) minor scratches on my shins in 10s of thousands of miles riding with my Chesters, but nothing that ever bled profusely. I think I had one that bled a tiny amount, but it was extremely trivial. I have no idea what you could be doing that would cause routine big cuts when you ride flats. Maybe don't do that and you could use flats.
Falling off the pedals when riding rock gardens can do that. Especially when you fall along the pedal. One reason why I switched to clipless when mtb'ing.

I don't get the back pain, joint pain, etc, you mention. I think this notion that you will get them if your feet move a little is ridiculous and yet another thing people make up to argue against the use of flats. I have nerve endings in my feet and a nervous system that will let me know if my foot position is causing problems elsewhere, and that seems to be enough to keep my feet within tolerable fit limits. I also (heavens forbid!) occasionally alter my foot position when standing on the pedals going uphill. This shouldn't be surprising, the whole geometry of the bike in relation to the rider actually changes when you're going uphill.
You may not get those issues but I do. With clipless I can forget about my feet. With platforms I'm constantly shifting my feet and thinking of a better position. I use them on my utility bike out of necessity. But probably wouldn't if I had oxfords and balmorals with spd cleated soles.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to switch to platforms, but I'm really not going to let them get away with saying "you can't do x on flats" when I do x on flats all the time. That's happened several times in this thread. Someone called someone "dumb" for preferring flats and then proceeded to add distance riding to the list of "can't dos" that I happen to know is BS. I'm not sure you intended to, but you just added "can't ride flats long distance without having back pain or joint pain" to that list--do it all the time, don't get that pain.
You can do those things and that's great. Clipless helps me so I use them. I doubt I could do the distances I do now with flat pedals.

It's almost like we have different feet, different strengths an weaknesses, and different pedal preferences. It's a piece of gear, not an identity statement. Using one or the other doesn't make you a better rider than someone else.
It's not personal. I'm stating what works for me but it might not work for you or others. Though clipless is a pretty neat system, kinda like ski bindings

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.