Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?

Old 07-08-20, 09:07 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Bandana or buff so you can pull it up as needed.

Pretty standard around here.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-08-20, 09:09 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No. No plans to, either, but I haven't been in a store while on a ride in years, so that's not an issue. If I crash, the last thing I'm going to worry about is putting on a mask.
As a doc, I've gotten involved in a few acute situations over the years and would definitely think twice about it these days. If there's a mask—mine or yours—to put on you, I'm going to be much less hesitant to get up close and personal.
Old 07-08-20, 09:47 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

Although lately I've been stuffing the buff in a jersey pocket. Takes up almost no room and don't even notice it's there, and it stops my pump from rattling. I have a number of half length ones that actually work better as masks than the full length, and take even less space.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-08-20, 10:24 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
Yes. You never know what might happen, I might need to stop to help someone, or stop at a store, etc. Weighs practically nothing, takes up very little space in my pocket.

Kind of redundant for me since I also carry a bandanna, but that is a more general purpose item - wipe hands after fixing mechanical; wipe glasses if sweaty, emergency bandage...
Likes For noimagination:
Old 07-08-20, 10:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I've ridden away from some pretty bad crashes before, so if I'm in a crash situation that would actually necessitate someone getting up close and personal, said situation would undoubtedly preclude me from rummaging around to find a mask.

This is an extremely silly and unrealistic scenario, here.
Whatever.

We rummaged for IDs and meds long before COVID and based on the responses here and what the people I rode with on Sunday had in their pockets when we stopped for food, I'm going to look for an extra mask if the situation arises. ...or just decide not to get involved.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-08-20, 10:35 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
As a doc, I've gotten involved in a few acute situations over the years and would definitely think twice about it these days. If there's a mask—mine or yours—to put on you, I'm going to be much less hesitant to get up close and personal.
Sounds like a good reason to carry two.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 07-08-20, 10:38 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by wgscott
Sounds like a good reason to carry two.
Let's not get carried away.
Old 07-08-20, 10:59 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I have fabric one with a head strap to keep it around my neck, and always do when I go out. Mainly if I need to sneeze or cough, enter a store, or talk to someone in which case I can just pull it up as needed. I also bring a small eyeglass mister I've filled with 70% isopropyl alcohol, that I use to clean off water fountains (buttons and handles) before refilling my water bottle. It takes no space to speak of in a jersey pocket. Unlike a real surgical mask a fabric one isn't water proof, so has an extremely short period of effective droplet protection (and like most common surgical masks has zero air filtration capability), which means it's really only suitable for very brief use in well ventilated stores, talking to someone on a sidewalk, and such. After having been used it comes back off and gets washed when I get home.
Likes For sfrider:
Old 07-08-20, 11:04 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I have a charity ride this next weekend and believe it or not, it hasn't canceled. They are requiring that all riders wear facemask before the start, and at every stop, and at the end of the ride. Thank goodness they are not requiring it on the bike. I can hardly breathe in the store with a mask on.
Old 07-08-20, 11:06 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
I've been wearing a gater style mask while riding since April. I always ride solo and on the road. MUP's around here a too crowded these days. I'll put it in place anytime I'm near anybody else that might be exposed to my heavy breathing.
Likes For ririder:
Old 07-08-20, 11:10 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Yes.
Old 07-08-20, 11:11 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Anytime I leave my house, I take a mask with me. If I need to go inside anywhere, a mask is required.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-08-20, 12:01 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Whatever.
Yes.
Old 07-08-20, 12:09 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
No. I ride from door to door. If I stop I'm staying away from people.
Old 07-08-20, 01:01 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

This is what I do, a Buff is fine and convenient. Even in 35C heat yesterday I didn't mind having it around my neck ready if needed - protects me from sunburn too!
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-08-20, 01:12 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
In Washington State it is now required for service in any business. They are required to deny service to anyone not wearing a mask. Businesses can be fined for not complying to the order. Most place I go to I frequent. I don’t want to put them in a bad position.
Old 07-08-20, 01:25 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Yes. I have an extra one I throw in my jersey pocket but have yet to need it. The reason I started is because a couple of months ago I wanted to ask one of the volunteers at the National Monument when they were going to reopen the gates due to the lockdown. He refused to even roll down his window in the truck even though I was at least 25' away on my bike on the other side of the road. So I now have one with me just in case in need it.
Old 07-08-20, 01:30 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by thenewjs
Yep, but mainly for the bugs! Im a mouth breather.
AKA "Tasty Flying Protein Snacks"!
Old 07-08-20, 02:09 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
In Washington State it is now required for service in any business. They are required to deny service to anyone not wearing a mask. Businesses can be fined for not complying to the order.
I wish it was the law here in AZ.

Masks are required, but there's no penalty for citizens refusing to comply. Luckily my employer allows me to refuse service to anyone not wearing a mask
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-08-20, 02:23 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Yes, I carry one but do not wear one when I ride.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 07-08-20, 02:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I do, mostly because I have to stop at country stores to refill my fluids. Two bottles won't last me this time of year. My last ride I discovered Gatorade in the Pepsi machine outside a store. Didn't even have to mask up and go inside! Good plan to have a mask along anyway. You never know when you might have to interact with someone, intentionally or not.
Old 07-08-20, 10:32 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
yah,,,been carrying a bandana the last 3 momths rolled up in the center jersey pocket. my short rides are usually lunch rides and my long
rides usually involve grub and/or grog at some point. there are some crowded ped areas when i just feel more comfy quickly pulling over
and tying it on before continuing and then pulling it off after a half mile or so.
Old 07-08-20, 11:37 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
I actually wore a buff last week when it was 0°C. Only pulled it over my mouth and nose on the downhills.

It sucked. I feel for you guys.
Old 07-09-20, 02:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup. I always carried or wore a bandanna anyway, but since March I've tucked a surgical mask and latex gloves in a small ziplock baggie into my jersey pocket every ride.

I've worn it whenever I need to stop in a convenience store -- only three times since March because I usually carry enough water and snacks to avoid needing to stop. I'll probably stop more often in summer because it's harder to carry enough water to last more than 30-40 miles.

I rotate among three masks for awhile before discarding them and getting new ones -- I already had a box full of masks, gloves, etc, before the pandemic.

I use a fabric steamer - the kind designed to de-wrinkle delicate clothing -- to disinfect and freshen up the surgical masks. Those blue surgical masks are both tough and delicate. They'll last many reuses with care, but the outer mesh poly fabric melts easily from direct heat such as from a low iron. But no problems using a fabric steamer, which gets scalding hot.

I worked in health care for years and had to wear masks for hours at a time, and respirators with filter canisters as a safety and health inspector. Not a problem, even with my asthma and allergies. You get used to the slight stuffy sensation. The main challenge is heat buildup. Often I'll wear Breathe Right or similar strips over the bridge of the nose, or Rhinomed Turbine inserts, to keep my nasal passages open -- I have a deviated septum from boxing so occasionally it gets congested. With a good inhaler from my allergist and the mechanical nasal doodads I can usually avoid needing Sudafed or ephedrine.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-09-20, 03:42 AM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I carry a facemask all the time because in Illinois where I do a lot of my bike riding around Chicago area if you don't have a facemask you can't enter pretty much any store/ restaurant/ business. It gets more looney the closer you get to the city.

A lot of places close down their restrooms and even though they opened parks up, they keep restrooms in parks locked. So if I have to go the bathroom it's in the woods and I also keep toilet paper with me. I also during pandemic keep a roll of toilet paper in my backpack while riding and I have had to use it on multiple occasions because they got all the bathrooms locked and no one wants you using their restroom. Not good if you suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I also take a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.