Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trend towards heavier more aero frames?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trend towards heavier more aero frames?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 11:46 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Why does more heavy equal more aero? Maybe they are just more heavy, because whatever, cost, ease of production, who knows. Why is aero necessarily heavy?

Mind you, you are specifically talking about frames, so no the fact that disc brakes may add weight, or larger tires may be heavier or something like that, but just the frame itself.
Old 07-09-20, 12:11 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Why does more heavy equal more aero?
Heavy doesn't necessarily imply aero, but...

Why is aero necessarily heavy?
...emphasizing aerodynamic performance generally does increase weight. The simple reason for this is that the shape that is structurally optimal for a given purpose, and the shape that offers the best aerodynamic performance, are usually two very different shapes. Giving something a more aerodynamically-optimal shape means that it's typically less well-optimized in terms of strength-to-weight ratio, so if you still want it to be adequately strong, it'll end up heavier than something that wasn't concerned with aerodynamics.

Mind you, you are specifically talking about frames, so no the fact that disc brakes may add weight, or larger tires may be heavier or something like that, but just the frame itself.
Disc brakes do typically result in a heavier frameset, it's not just the weight of the brakes and rotors themselves. Disc brake rotors have much lower diameter than bicycle rims, which means they have much less leverage over the wheel. The means that the brake needs to put much higher force on the rotor than a rim brake puts on the rim. Thanks to Newton's Third Law of Motion, this also means that the rotor puts a much higher force on the brake (and the spot on the frame where it's mounted) than a rim puts on a rim brake. So disc-brake frames need to be very strong and stiff in the areas that the brakes are mounted.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-09-20, 05:16 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Heavy doesn't necessarily imply aero, but...

...emphasizing aerodynamic performance generally does increase weight. The simple reason for this is that the shape that is structurally optimal for a given purpose, and the shape that offers the best aerodynamic performance, are usually two very different shapes. Giving something a more aerodynamically-optimal shape means that it's typically less well-optimized in terms of strength-to-weight ratio, so if you still want it to be adequately strong, it'll end up heavier than something that wasn't concerned with aerodynamics.

Disc brakes do typically result in a heavier frameset, it's not just the weight of the brakes and rotors themselves. Disc brake rotors have much lower diameter than bicycle rims, which means they have much less leverage over the wheel. The means that the brake needs to put much higher force on the rotor than a rim brake puts on the rim. Thanks to Newton's Third Law of Motion, this also means that the rotor puts a much higher force on the brake (and the spot on the frame where it's mounted) than a rim puts on a rim brake. So disc-brake frames need to be very strong and stiff in the areas that the brakes are mounted.
Very thorough explanation, thanks!
Old 07-09-20, 06:50 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Moderate aero can look cool but aero + discs = vugly
Old 07-09-20, 06:54 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Why does more heavy equal more aero? Maybe they are just more heavy, because whatever, cost, ease of production, who knows. Why is aero necessarily heavy?
Aero requires more surface area to control air flow and thus more frame material
Old 07-09-20, 07:02 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
Great questions. As someone who has owned and ridden all three generations of Domane frames, seen the weight from the first to the latest gain a pound, and gone from stuffing 32mm tires on the first for grins to 40mm gravel tires as an adventure set of wheels on the current, all I can say is the current one goes more places and is more fun to ride. I would add in faster, adjusted for the fact that my 63 year old legs are not quite what they were 7 years ago.
I'm in the same boat... I now have a 2020 Domane and while my brain has issues with the weight, my cycle computer is telling me that the weight apparently doesn't matter much... at least in terms of average speed on my usual rides. Weight aside, I like everything about my latest bike for my intended use.

I have, however, been doing a little "weight weenie" mods to the bike to lighten it up a little, but it's likely that these very expensive modifications aren't really doing much but pleasing my ego while destroying my wallet