Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on latest Ritchey Logic

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on latest Ritchey Logic

Old 07-10-20, 06:39 AM
TV59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oomizoomi
Your Ritchey looks great! Thinking about one myself in grey. They are out of that color in my size!
Curious. Do you know how much it weighs?
Sorry, haven’t weighed it, but with a combination of red and force and carbon everything it feels pretty darn light for a steel bike. Ritchey publishes the weight for the 55cm frame.
Old 08-07-20, 03:14 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Saw the TR logo decal. What does the T stand for?
Old 08-07-20, 03:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The gentleman's name is Tom Ritchey, hence the TR logo.
Old 11-01-20, 12:13 AM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
After some hairline cracking issues on my previous alloy bike, I decided to build up a steel bike (for more tensile strength and minimal fatigue problems) with the parts. I was considering a Soma Smoothie with the carbon fork left over from an older bike, but those were sold out and then I saw a mint very low mileage current Ritchey Logic Frameset on Ebay and scored it for not too much more money. I am pretty happy with it so far. It's something special in terms of ride quality, composure, and feel. The smoothness is immediately noticeable and was a little surprising to me, I think they did a great job matching the carbon fork to the character of the steel frame. Initially, I thought the handling was a bit vague on steering inputs compared to my previous stiff tapered headset alloy racing frame and fork with shorter chainstays. But after a couple rides, my brain adjusted to how much input and weight loading it needs on the steering and it feels fine. It's not "carving" the corners like you are on skates that you would get with a stiffer front end, but it does what you want from it and in rough pavement corners, it feels very composed. Also, when pedaling,it feels very efficient without being overly stiff. Overall, a very nice bike that just feels good to ride and doesn't beat you up on longer rides.

Likes For bigredgrad01:
Old 11-20-20, 06:14 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
I'm eyeing a Logic Disc as my N+1 road bike. I already own a gravel bike and a beater-commuter bike. How would this Ritchey do strictly as a endurance/century - type ride? Do you wish you could mount wider tires than this bike allows (30 mm max)?
Old 06-18-21, 09:35 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
To continue the discussion, and because it's not worth its own new thread, I just got a new Road Logic Disc frame and will be building it up, so trying to find the parts (which is a struggle right now). I was thinking a set of DT Swiss wheels, R 470 or RR 521 rims and probably 350 hubs, tubeless, but I saw these wheels on the Ritchey site and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I was thinking more along the lines of 28 spokes and these are 24, but the Ritchey folks make it sound like they'd still hold up pretty well under my 210 pounds.

Also thinking of staying in the Ritchey family with bars, seatpost, stem and whatever else they've got. Again, does anyone have any opinions about this stuff? I've heard they're just rebranded items but they seem decent and the prices are good. Any input appreciated.

Thanks/cheers!
Old 06-18-21, 10:04 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Ritchey parts are designed by Ritchey but built by others. They are NOT rebranded parts. Ritchey parts for the most part are good part but there are occasional clunkers. I would avoid the single bolt seat posts as I've never been able to tighten them enough/put enough anti-slip on them to prevent the saddle from shifting. I find Ritchey Comp and WCS are a great combinations of price, weight & strength. And if you want something that is light look for Super Logic. Weight Weenies say that Super Logic parts are some of their secrets for building reasonably affordable superlight bikes.
Old 06-18-21, 11:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Mouse
Also thinking of staying in the Ritchey family with bars, seatpost, stem and whatever else they've got. Again, does anyone have any opinions about this stuff? I've heard they're just rebranded items but they seem decent and the prices are good. Any input appreciated.
My main road bike has a Ritchey WCS Link alloy seatpost and it is one of the worst designed seatposts I have ridden. Ive kept it for 3 years because its there and I dont want to spend more $ on that vs other things, but it is very unimpressive.
1- it is a bear to set up and adjust with the 2 bolts. They use these pinch washers and its all just too many little parts in a small space.
2- the infinite adjustability is great, but it slides like crazy. Hit a hard bump- the saddle tilts. This went on for so long with my old saddle, then I finally got it to stick and it was good for a couple years. Once I put my new saddle on a while back- same process. It was a constant adjustment process. Hit a bump, slowly feel the saddle nose pointing up after a couple miles, hop off and adjust. Repeat. Its a seatpost- it has basically 1 job...hold the saddle in place.

A Kalloy Uno 7 stem is lighter than any Ritchey stem and it simply works. Also, its $25 instead of $40-250.

I like my Ritchey bars. They make a ton of different bends, shapes, etc. There is probably a bar for almost anyone.
Old 06-20-21, 06:44 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks folks. It'll be fun to put this thing together.
Old 08-16-22, 02:41 PM
sherpaxc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've used this to travel to Europe (with different wheels). I have a carbon race rocket but much prefer this. Love the paint job. No offense to the newer paint jobs, they just seem a little bland to me. Running 28c Conti 5k's.
Likes For sherpaxc:
Old 08-16-22, 03:39 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,041 Times in 2,152 Posts
Originally Posted by sherpaxc

I've used this to travel to Europe (with different wheels). I have a carbon race rocket but much prefer this. Love the paint job. No offense to the newer paint jobs, they just seem a little bland to me. Running 28c Conti 5k's.
I need to update my wheels, and groupo. Still running 9 spd triple ultegra.
Old 08-16-22, 04:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Hey, if we're posting Ritcheys....

1996-ish (frame dates earlier, but the original components are date-stamped 1995 and 1996), purchased in 1997, repainted in 2007, converted to 10sp in 2019

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-16-22, 07:17 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by sherpaxc

Love the older Ritchey paint jobs. And the bottle cages. The one thing I really miss on my Logic 2.0 is its classic paint job. The RB is a bit better bike but the 2.0 had a MUCH nicer paint and graphics.

Last edited by RGMN; 08-17-22 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-16-22, 11:18 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01
After some hairline cracking issues on my previous alloy bike, I decided to build up a steel bike (for more tensile strength and minimal fatigue problems) with the parts. I was considering a Soma Smoothie with the carbon fork left over from an older bike, but those were sold out and then I saw a mint very low mileage current Ritchey Logic Frameset on Ebay and scored it for not too much more money. I am pretty happy with it so far. It's something special in terms of ride quality, composure, and feel. The smoothness is immediately noticeable and was a little surprising to me, I think they did a great job matching the carbon fork to the character of the steel frame. Initially, I thought the handling was a bit vague on steering inputs compared to my previous stiff tapered headset alloy racing frame and fork with shorter chainstays. But after a couple rides, my brain adjusted to how much input and weight loading it needs on the steering and it feels fine. It's not "carving" the corners like you are on skates that you would get with a stiffer front end, but it does what you want from it and in rough pavement corners, it feels very composed. Also, when pedaling,it feels very efficient without being overly stiff. Overall, a very nice bike that just feels good to ride and doesn't beat you up on longer rides.

Gorgeous. My dream bike. Someday...