Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do I want disc brakes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do I want disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 06:35 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
It’s always tough to adopt new technology, but disc brakes are far from new. They’re only relatively new on bikes where they are just starting to get a foothold, but Discs will eventually dominate. They work better, are not affected by wet weather and will not wear out the rims on your wheels. When disc brakes first became available on cars, the car industry introduced them slowly by first installing discs on the front wheels (where, by the way, most stopping power occurs) and keeping brake shoes in the rear wheels to keep the purists happy. Over time, as it will with bikes, you cannot now find a car today, other than old collectibles, that does not have disc brakes. Better technology, better performance and safer overall.
Old 07-11-20, 06:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Why do I want disc brakes?" hahaha! to ensure the service department at your lbs stays busy! This week I have bled 5 hydro brakes, replaced 6 sets of pads, and replaced 4 brake sets due to the OEM being pieces of crap from the start. I hate them and love them at the same time as I make more money working on them, but they take a whole lot more time to work on than good ol' rim brakes.

Me? Had disc brakes once, no more.
That's the reason why I run BB7s....It's a lot easier to change a brake cable than it is to rebuild leaking calipers.
Old 07-11-20, 06:47 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
"They are more expensive, more finicky to adjust and maintain, and in my case at least, I chew through pads and rotors fairly frequently, and the cost adds up."

Oh yea.. and the bike sits waiting for parts. Disc's are 'bike store' components.. future revenue flow.. their main reason for being mainstreamed today.
Old 07-11-20, 06:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Here's a GCN video that might be instructive. Also, discs will allow wider tires if that matters to you. I have rim brakes on 3 road bikes and disc in my cross bike. IMO discs are clearly just better. Are you at a great disadvantage with rim brakes? I don't think so.

Old 07-11-20, 06:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Old 07-11-20, 07:03 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Recent posters cite their preference for rim brakes based on maintenance (ease, cost, parts sources, etc.) related issues. These are all reasonable concerns but I rarely, if ever, buy any vehicle (car, bike, motorcycle), appliance, PC or anything and use future maintenance issues as my primary concern. I buy products with features that I feel make the product better. In the case of bikes, I feel that dic brakes make bikes better, and safer, products. Your opinion may differ, but that's how I look at it.
Old 07-11-20, 08:27 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Whenever the topic of disc brakes come up, there are lots of mentions of "better stopping power" and "better modulation"; it's almost like reading wives' tale from Harley riders about endo'ing if you use your front brake!

But here's a video of two VERY FAST and equally skilled riders descending on a VERY technical road with avg gradient almost 9%, so both are riding their brakes in the steeper part (later half of the video). The lead rider is on a disc bike, the trailing rider (the one filming) is on a rim brake bike. As you can see, there is litterally nothing between them. The squealing you hear later in the video is from the brakes of the lead rider. These guys got KOM (despite making a mistake) on this filming segment so they were railing all out. And in case anyone is wondering, the trailing rider's is on a non-aero bike. Granted this was in dry condition, and if in wet, then the advantage would be just slightly more for the disc guy, but let's be honest here if it was wet nobody would be riding like this.

Last edited by aclinjury; 07-11-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 08:45 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
The more I see of them in use by "regular" riders in the neighborhood, the more intrigued I've become. A lot of people site a number of reasons for liking them, "more stopping power", "better modulation", better performance in the wet", etc. While that certainly piques my interest, I've got to ask, "Is the different in braking performance worth the cost of n+1?" As far as braking "power", I can lock up both wheels easily with my existing rim brakes and since I'm a fair weather pavement rider almost exclusively, performance in adverse conditions isn't much of a concern.

Mind you, it's been a looong time since I've bought a bike and the idea does excite me. So go ahead... Convince me
if you're fair weather rider, especially fair weather AND flatland rider, then there is absolutely zero reason to get a disc bike as an "n+1".
Now if you just want to buy a new toy, well that's nother whole different reason.
Old 07-11-20, 08:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Another advantage of disc brakes is being able to swap wheel sizes. ..r.
And one of the joys of rim brakes is the ease in swappiing wheels.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-11-20, 09:02 AM
NMK

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the SRAM Rival 1x Disc and honestly, I am not impressed. I get scruffing noises when it is dirty, I had to flatten the disc when I first bought it, in the wet, it squeals worse than a pig before slaughter and the modulation is just so-so. That said... I take delivery of my Roubaix with Ultegra Di2 Disc next weeks so I am looking forward to experience all the wonders of disc brakes that everyone is talking about. Rival being entry-level, I guess I should expect some below-par performance but what is true is on steep downhills, it is pretty powerful.
Old 07-11-20, 09:08 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Recent posters cite their preference for rim brakes based on maintenance (ease, cost, parts sources, etc.) related issues. These are all reasonable concerns but I rarely, if ever, buy any vehicle (car, bike, motorcycle), appliance, PC or anything and use future maintenance issues as my primary concern. I buy products with features that I feel make the product better. In the case of bikes, I feel that disc brakes make bikes better, and safer, products. Your opinion may differ, but that's how I look at it.
Since I repair machines for a living, my least favorite thing to do is repair machines on my time off. Due to that, I'm the complete opposite and research products that have simple, infrequent maintenance and repair procedures.

This is pretty much why I'll never own a Subaru boxer engine with timing belts, but will always seek out a simple inline 4 with timing chain. Ease of service, maintenance, and parts costs. Too bad too as I really like the Subarus otherwise. Same goes for when I was looking into diesel Volkswagens, I certainly don't want the added cost of a turbo and having to buy DEF.

Regarding disc brakes, they are so much easier to work on than drum brakes (on cars, motorcycles, etc.) that you get no argument in that regard from me. For a bicycle, I think I'd want mechanical disc brakes since I hang my bikes upside down from the garage ceiling. I wouldn't want any air in the fluid reservoir to migrate into the caliper while the bikes aren't being ridden.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-11-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 09:08 AM
NMK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't see any difference with disc brakes. Changing wheels is just as easy.
Old 07-11-20, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
My beast and I like its rim brakes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-11-20, 09:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I want disk brakes but no one sells them
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-11-20, 09:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Holy type size, Bat-Man!
Old 07-11-20, 10:07 AM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I would have been just fine with rim brakes on my Domane. Hell, I live in east central Illinois. Steep descents, what’s that? It came with discs as did everything else I was looking at. So, discs it is. Never had any issues with the rim brakes on my Roubaix.
Old 07-11-20, 10:08 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by NMK
I don't see any difference with disc brakes. Changing wheels is just as easy.
In general, wheel changing has gotten progressively more difficult since the 70s.

Moving from plain ol' forks, to lawyer lipped forks, to threaded thru axles.
Old 07-11-20, 10:24 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The more I see of them in use by "regular" riders in the neighborhood, the more intrigued I've become. A lot of people site a number of reasons for liking them, "more stopping power", "better modulation", better performance in the wet", etc. While that certainly piques my interest, I've got to ask, "Is the different in braking performance worth the cost of n+1?" As far as braking "power", I can lock up both wheels easily with my existing rim brakes and since I'm a fair weather pavement rider almost exclusively, performance in adverse conditions isn't much of a concern.

Mind you, it's been a looong time since I've bought a bike and the idea does excite me. So go ahead... Convince me

Old 07-11-20, 10:54 AM
NMK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In general, wheel changing has gotten progressively more difficult since the 70s.

Moving from plain ol' forks, to lawyer lipped forks, to threaded thru axles.

Ummm.... I remember biking in the 70's & 80's and changing wheels sucked, it took ages to get it on and aligned and if you didn't have quick release, then it sucked some more. I'll take my TTA any day.
Old 07-11-20, 11:00 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
absolutely disagree with that. I find discs make it easier to swap wheels. Get a set of tires that are fatter than the rim and the tires will hang on the brakes. Usually I remember to release brake tension but sometimes forget and then have to pop the wheel back on to do so. discs just slide on and off. If the new wheels are slight wider, maybe taller, maybe not perfectly true than need to tweak cables or adjust pad angles on rim brakes. Discs don't have that problem. Sometimes a rotor might be slightly farther in or out but never by much

Guess I've just never owned cheap discs. I've had Spyres on the gravel bike for I think 3 years now. Almost no maintenance. The dual calipers make them absolutely trivial to center, just loosen mounting bolts, apply the brake than re torque.

I don't use bike shops for anything, maybe that is why some guys have such a bad experience.
Old 07-11-20, 11:18 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
You don't. Be a sheeple for Big Bicycle but you don't need them.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-11-20, 11:34 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Again, thank you all for your input. Truth be told, there's more to my decision-making process than discs vs rims. I can't deny some of this is plain old "want a new toy" syndrome, but there are some real issues motivating me, most of them age related. For starters, I'm more comfort oriented/discomfort averse than I was 20 years ago. Chip seal pavement is a real pain in sensitive several places with my BMC's head and seat tube angles, short chain stays, and short trail. Secondly, my left knee took some serious damage in a motorcycle accident many years ago, and I've now got some post traumatic arthritic changes flaring up. So gearing that offers lower ratio than my current 34-29 bottom combo would be welcome. That's even more of a consideration now that we live in an area with more interesting topography.

At least those are the talking points I'm using with my better half to get her buy in. And they seem to be working So that's the story I'm sticking to even though I can't deny a certain fascination with new & shiny.

Last edited by bmcer; 07-11-20 at 11:37 AM.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 07-11-20, 11:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I can lock up both wheels easily with my existing rim brakes and since I'm a fair weather pavement rider almost exclusively, performance in adverse conditions isn't much of a concern.
Maybe not, given you don't ride when the weather is not nice..

I have 1 bike with hydraulic rim brakes *, a European make.. US gets most of its bikes from the Pacific Asian Rim.. Imported.
* 1 drum braked. 1 disc brake, 6 with rim brakes ..
Only 1 is a road bike..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-11-20 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 01:09 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts

You want them because you live in the Pacific Northwest and are tired of replacing your rims annually due to wear from wet road grit.

Or you just want them. Buy a disc brake equipped bicycle if you have the money, own a home, are debt free apart from your mortgage, are on track to retire, and are on track to pay for your children's post secondary education.
Old 07-11-20, 01:13 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin

Oh yea.. and the bike sits waiting for parts. Disc's are 'bike store' components.. future revenue flow.. their main reason for being mainstreamed today.
FedEx, USPS, and UPS deliver overnight except on Sundays.

If the wait difference between driving to a bike shop and overnight shipping is significant you can keep spares on hand.

Apart from cockpit and headset I have all the parts I'd need to turn a frameset into a bicycle matching my taste.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.