Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Blood Pressure Meds & Heat Tolerance?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 07-11-20, 01:45 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

I'm on 8mg of Sandoz-Candesartan for high blood pressure. Lately I've notice a severe drop in my heat tolerance. I've searched online to see if there's a correlation between that drug and my decreased tolerance of heat but didn't find anything. Oh, I turned 69 years young yesterday July 10.

Do any of you on high blood pressure medicine find that it lowers your ability to handle heat?

Cheers
Old 07-11-20, 07:32 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Yes I have been on BP meds for quite a while. I do not tolerate the heat what so ever and have been that way for several years. I had a bad incident several years ago and it seems since then the heat effects me more. So I back off of riding when the temps get above 80. I am 58 and have BP issues, hard life I guess.
Old 07-11-20, 08:24 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Interesting. I've just started 4mg of Sandoz-Candesartan for the past three months, and quite frankly it hasn't been hot at all in the Pacific Northwest yet, barely in the mid-70's so far. I'll let you know of any heat tolerance issues. But what I did notice was that my BP drops precariously low - 89/56 - after cycling. So my GP suggested not to take the pill on cycling days, and track it. Have you noticed this yourself? BTW, I'm 55.
Old 07-11-20, 08:33 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by mpath
Interesting. I've just started 4mg of Sandoz-Candesartan for the past three months, and quite frankly it hasn't been hot at all in the Pacific Northwest yet, barely in the mid-70's so far. I'll let you know of any heat tolerance issues. But what I did notice was that my BP drops precariously low - 89/56 - after cycling. So my GP suggested not to take the pill on cycling days, and track it. Have you noticed this yourself? BTW, I'm 55.
I've never noticed it but then again I haven't checked for it. Thanks though becuase now I will.

Cheers
Old 07-11-20, 09:21 AM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I'm on Beta Blockers and noticed it this year. I run out of gas at the end of my rides. I've begun starting earlier to avoid the worst of the heat and doing more trail rides when the temps are 90 and above.
Old 07-11-20, 10:49 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Yup, more sensitive to sunlight and heat. I am use to the heat and have noticed more sensitivity.
Old 07-11-20, 11:26 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Interesting ... I've been on CCBs for over a decade.

I used to hate heat because I used to sweat rivers even sitting on my ass. (Take that, censorship software.) It's normal to sweat less as one ages, and that's been happening to me, for which I'm very grateful. Heat combined with humidity take a lot out of me, but I've been attributing that to the infrequency of hot, humid days so far this year in my area.

What has changed is that I can't take colder weather. In my 40s, I rode when the temp was in the 30s, if it was dry. Now, I need long sleeves and multiple layers when the temp drops below 70. But I have no way of knowing if that's a side effect of the meds, since I was on a long cycling hiatus when I started the BP meds.
Old 07-12-20, 04:50 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I've been on Losartan over six years and HCTZ, diuretic the past five. Don't have a problem with the heat unless it's a screaming, unrelenting blast furnace and even with the diuretic, this just means drinking water and fluids before I head out and regular intake of water or electrolytes during... and after the ride. Usually, my recovery drink is a beer, Coors Banquet or an IPA mixed with organic Lemonade over ice. I think the Australians call this a Shandy.
Old 07-12-20, 07:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Moved to Pills and Ills.
Old 07-13-20, 02:15 AM
Miele Man

I didn't know that this sub-forum existed. thanks.

Cheers