Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What should I do to this bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 01:30 AM
jdurango

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got what seems like a great deal on a Fuji Cross that I plan to use as a road / commuter and possibly light trail bike. It's in great shape, was only $200 and has tons of upgraded (or at least aftermarket) parts:

- Dura ace rear derailleur/cassette
- FSA front derailleur / cassette (Gossamer?)
- Mavic open pro wheelset with ultegra hubs
- Terry falcon x saddle with carbon seatpost
- Cat eye strada cadence computer
- Look keo pedals
- Shimano front brakes (not sure type)
- TRP CX 8.4 linear pull rear brakes
- Ritchey bars with new tape
- Specialized stem
- Some unbranded carbon headset and matching unbranded carbon forks

It's kind of a Frankenbike! But beats the hell out of a stock Fuji Cross, especially for $200!!!

Main questions, any changes, additions or tweaks you'd recommend?

Should I get front brakes (shimano) to match the rear brakes (TRP CX 8.4)....if so, which one to go with?

Should I replace front FSA derailleur / cassette with dura ace to match rear? I'm kinda thinking only this one and leave the rest.

Or should I just leave it entirely as is and not mess with it if it ain't broke? I'm kind of a n00b so any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Unfortunately it won't let me post pics cause I have less than 10 posts. Lame.

WORK AROUND, shared google photos folder: http$$$:// (DELETE THIS) photos.app.goo.gl/kf52XX6enhzTcrhp7
Old 04-27-20, 08:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
What to do with it? How about ride the fool out of it?
Old 04-27-20, 08:56 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Clean it, cut the ends of the zip ties holding the computer, ride it
Old 04-27-20, 09:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I wouldn’t do anything to it. Sounds like a classic CX parts-bin build.
Old 04-27-20, 09:04 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Actually, now that I think about it, I’d get a second wheel set so you can have one set for dirt/gravel and one set for pavement.
Old 04-27-20, 10:53 AM
jdurango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Actually, now that I think about it, I’d get a second wheel set so you can have one set for dirt/gravel and one set for pavement.
Okay, I LOVE this idea! Definitely doing this!

I checked the chain today, it's good. Wheel hubs look flat. Going to clean it up (looks like it's been used for CX) and give it a test ride.

Might replace cables if shifting seems funky, otherwise I'll wait til next tune up.

A couple folks recommended replacing the front forks so I can fit matching brakes on the front and fit larger tires. This might be cool if I get more into gravel or rougher trail riding, but I'll probably hold off for now as it'll be mostly road and only light, well manicured wimpy trails.

I may keep an eye out for a dura ace front group to match the rear.....the FSA is the only thing I'm a little hesitant about. Any time I've strayed from Shimano in the past I've regretted it (although have never had Campy).

Thanks again fellas! Great advice! Gunna clean out the dirt and gunk and go for a ride now!
Old 04-27-20, 11:15 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
It could be a time bomb, waiting to assplode. Send it to me and I’ll dispose of properly.
Old 04-27-20, 12:27 PM
caloso

The good news is that you can pick up some great deals on rim brake wheels these days, particularly if you don't need 11-speed compatible hubs.
Old 04-27-20, 02:44 PM
jdurango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The good news is that you can pick up some great deals on rim brake wheels these days, particularly if you don't need 11-speed compatible hubs.
That's a good point! I'm fine with rim brakes. As far as hubs, I'd prefer to get a drop-in replacement, so I guess I'm looking for a rear wheel with a 9 speed shimano cassette with appropriate spacing to fit dropouts? I could buy the wheel, hub, cassette all separate and built it, but I'd prefer to just by one or a set of two ready to drop in.
Old 04-28-20, 09:41 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
What year bike is it? Newer ones do not have bosses for v-brakes. Still ... $200?? Carbon fork? It would be absolutely irresponsible to "ride the fool" out of that bike without properly paid up life insurance. As for "upgrades"? None. Even a fork swap (plus labor) puts you in the price range of my bike and mine is new. And I wouldn't touch the tires unless you don't mind being smoked by young women on fixies on your favorite road course.
Old 04-28-20, 01:57 PM
jdurango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
What year bike is it? Newer ones do not have bosses for v-brakes. Still ... $200?? Carbon fork? It would be absolutely irresponsible to "ride the fool" out of that bike without properly paid up life insurance. As for "upgrades"? None. Even a fork swap (plus labor) puts you in the price range of my bike and mine is new. And I wouldn't touch the tires unless you don't mind being smoked by young women on fixies on your favorite road course.
All good points!

Bike is an '03. I carefully inspected carbon forks and did a tap test. I know you can never tell for sure but the forks seem fine.

I found a custom Carl Strong steel fork w/ v-brake mounts for $100 on craigslist....brand new, never installed. I'm thinking about offering $70 or $80. I can do the labor myself....adding brakes wouldn't be too tough.

But really I don't think I need larger tires...I'm not doing CX....mostly road commuting and possibly occasional "off road" light, well-manicured trails. So if I don't need bigger tires, no point in getting another fork, brakes, etc.

I think I'm just going to ride it as is for now (I'll check the forks again)....maybe keep an eye out for matching DA 7800 front components and another set of wheels so I can have one for larger trail tires and another for tiny road tires. But I'm not gunna go crazy and dump a bunch of time and money into a modest commuter bike. $200 is a great deal for what it is....if I start dumping a buncha $ into it, it kinda defeats the purpose of buying a cheapie for commuting that I don't need to stress too hard about getting stolen.
Old 04-28-20, 02:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
@jdurango's Album:

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/454368
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/17623532

Old 04-28-20, 02:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
It looks like an interesting bike. Not real expensive. But, quite "flashy". Get a good lock for it if you're doing commuting.

At one time it would have had front and rear canti brakes, which were replaced by linear pull V-Brakes in the rear, and simple older dual pivot brakes in the front.

If everything works right and satisfies your needs, then just use it as-is.

New tires when you eventually need them.
Old 04-28-20, 02:44 PM
caloso

It is a little weird that it has a caliper brake fork. Not really an issue if you're riding gravel or racing cross on a dry course, but add a little mud and things get sticky. Literally.
Old 04-29-20, 10:30 AM
Leisesturm

It is a little weird that it has a caliper brake fork.
Not weird at all when you realize that that is not the stock fork. That's a road fork on that bike. The stock fork would have had cantilever bosses like the seatstays do.
Old 04-29-20, 10:53 AM
caloso

Not weird at all when you realize that that is not the stock fork. That's a road fork on that bike. The stock fork would have had cantilever bosses like the seatstays do.
I realize that. I have a CX bike of that vintage. There are a handful of us still racing cantilevers rather than discs, but our numbers are dwindling.

Just seems odd to stick a road fork on a CX frame, especially when the calipers will limit the tire sizes that can fit. It might also change the handling since CX forks seem to be slacker than road forks, in general.

Last edited by caloso; 04-29-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-29-20, 12:00 PM
Leisesturm

I realize that. I have a CX bike of that vintage. There are a handful of us still racing cantilevers rather than discs, but our numbers are dwindling.

Just seems odd to stick a road fork on a CX frame, especially when the calipers will limit the tire sizes that can fit. It might also change the handling since CX forks seem to be slacker than road forks, in general.
Unless I way miss my guess, the person who did the fork swap isn't racing CX. They just wanted a cheap carbon fork for weight savings and street cred. Possibly they didn't really want to change the fork at all but had to. You know what I mean by 'had to' right?
Old 04-29-20, 01:31 PM
jdurango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless I way miss my guess, the person who did the fork swap isn't racing CX. They just wanted a cheap carbon fork for weight savings and street cred. Possibly they didn't really want to change the fork at all but had to. You know what I mean by 'had to' right?
Well that's perfect because I won't be doing CX, and it'll mostly be a road/commuter. I like the CX frame geometry because it's a bit more upright and I have a very bad back (several herniated discs). If I wanted to do light, nicely manicured wimpy trails, what's the biggest/best tire I could fit between those front brakes? And would I need wider rims for such a thing? Again, doesn't need to be an all out downhill mountain bike tire....just some light offroad duty.
Old 04-29-20, 02:10 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't think you can fit any larger tires on the front than you have now. Maybe if those are 26c you could try 28, but it looks pretty tight.
Old 04-29-20, 04:16 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by jdurango
Well that's perfect because I won't be doing CX, and it'll mostly be a road/commuter. I like the CX frame geometry because it's a bit more upright and I have a very bad back (several herniated discs). If I wanted to do light, nicely manicured wimpy trails, what's the biggest/best tire I could fit between those front brakes? And would I need wider rims for such a thing? Again, doesn't need to be an all out downhill mountain bike tire....just some light offroad duty.
Like the other poster said, 28's are prolly the biggest you are going to get away with. That's doing well. 25's are the absolute biggest that will fit in 'LLRRH's fork. Those are 23's in there now. I would take her on a 'nicely manicured, wimpy trail'. It just means paying close attention to what is on the ground. Back to you, those rims are wide enough for anything you could fit in the fork. That is the case with most bikes, even ones with more opening. You would be shocked at how much range of tire size there is for a given rim, and people routinely exceed manufacturers conservative limits without consequences.