Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What tire size for increased comfort?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 07:36 AM
MaverickMeercat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey - I've been enjoying exploring the city on a long term rental, Giant Escape with 700/38mm tires. I'm riding on the city's bike paths which are paved smooth for the most part which is great. However, as with any path there are a lot of unavoidable cracks and joins and small bumps from below-surface roots. These are very uncomfortable to ride over, mainly through the saddle. I'm not trying to go flat out, just enjoy a leisurely ride.

I'm considering purchasing the bike at the end of the rental but before I do want to understand if its possible to address the comfort issue.

Would larger tires make a noticeable difference and alleviate this?
If so, what tire size would you recommend so I can tell a difference? 45mm? 50mm? or perhaps dropping the rim size down to 650B and going 2.1"?
Old 06-14-20, 08:17 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MaverickMeercat
Hey - I've been enjoying exploring the city on a long term rental, Giant Escape with 700/38mm tires. I'm riding on the city's bike paths which are paved smooth for the most part which is great. However, as with any path there are a lot of unavoidable cracks and joins and small bumps from below-surface roots. These are very uncomfortable to ride over, mainly through the saddle. I'm not trying to go flat out, just enjoy a leisurely ride.

I'm considering purchasing the bike at the end of the rental but before I do want to understand if its possible to address the comfort issue.

If so, what tire size would you recommend so I can tell a difference? 45mm? 50mm? or perhaps dropping the rim size down to 650B and going 2.1"?
Yes, or maybe no. Depends on some things. Some people, even up to 100kg or so, feel comfortable with 23 or 25mm. I am 80kg and prefer 32mm. Never tried 700x35 as i am happy with 32.

At (26x1.5) 35mm, it starts to feel heavy.

26x2.0 (50mm) is comfortable. But heavy.

Your frame is aluminium, which may make it feel less comfortable. Those sizes i mentioned are my reviews with steel frame.
Old 06-14-20, 08:31 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
You would notice a big difference with larger tires...and even different tires in a similar size. My Giant Roam came with 38mm Giant-branded tires that have a layer of puncture protection and a fairly thick (inexpensive) casing. These tires generally ride poorly. I currently have Continental Speed Ride tires on the bike; they're labeled 42mm, but are really about 38mm -- the same actual size as the Giant tires. But they're far more comfortable. I have had as large as 52mm on this bike (2.1"). I've also had 584mm wheels (27.5", or 650b), with 54mm tires (2.2"). All of these worked well. I have the 2.2" tires on my mountain bike now, so I'm back to the relatively slick Speed Rides on the Roam...they roll smooth, fast, and are very comfortable. Also, keep your air pressure in check (probbaly 40-60 psi depending on your weight). High pressure will feel faster, but will also ride poorly.
Old 06-14-20, 09:39 AM
MaverickMeercat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all, some great responses.

Couple of things I think I'll try:
1. Same size but different brand/style of tire. I imagine the rental bike as the most durable it can possibly fit right now.
2. Larger but that might like to option 1 too.
Old 06-14-20, 09:46 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
38mm should be a good comfy tire size. If you go bigger than that the tire will feel heavier and slower. You could try lowering the air pressure a little if they are pumped up really hard. When you ride over patches of cracked / broken pavement try and distribute some of the weight on your seat onto your hands and feet. If you keep riding, your rear end will toughen up, and your riding skill will also take some of the weight off your seat.
Old 06-14-20, 09:50 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

Weight the pedals by raising out of the saddle instead of remaining seated. Use your elbows and knees to absorb the impacts.

Your limitation will be frame clearance; but yes, larger volume + lower pressure = suppler ride. Look for a cyclocross/gravel type instead of a commuter tire; the former is light and supple, while the latter is flat proof and heavy. Light weight vs flat proof are diametrically placed regarding tires. While not always the case, a lighter tire is generally more supple due to thinner sidewalls.

My current 38s are these on my cyclocross bike, and I find them to not be slow on the road, very plush, and not heavy.
Old 06-14-20, 10:37 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

Tire pressure is one of the main things that determine comfort. Fatter tires are more comfortable because you can run them at lower pressure. Having said that, there's a good chance that rental bike has its tires inflated higher than is ideal. Try lowering the pressure and see how it feels.

Also, tubeless tires allow lower pressures hence more comfort. If comfort is your goal, I'd plan on a tubeless setup. Before you buy the bike, I'd make sure it has tubeless compatible wheels - newer Giants come setup tubeless, I believe, but older ones should have tubeless compatible wheels that you can setup tubeless yourself. If shopping for new tires, make sure they're tubeless compatible.
Old 06-14-20, 06:11 PM
c0rbin9

Bikes: None

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Lower your tire pressure. 38mm should be plenty comfy.
Old 06-14-20, 06:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Thanks all, some great responses.

Couple of things I think I'll try:
1. Same size but different brand/style of tire. I imagine the rental bike as the most durable it can possibly fit right now.
2. Larger but that might like to option 1 too.
Presuming the Escape has the original equipment tires, they're very likely going to be harsh-riding tires. I think Kenda makes Giant's contract tires (and they're a very low TPI tire -- meaning not supple or flexible). Plus, most factory tires on hybrids like these have a puncture protection layer under the tread (people don't like getting flats). That is an additional detractor to ride quality (at least at the cost level of these tires). If you take the tire off the wheel, you'll see firsthand how rigid it is.

A light and flexible tire, even in the same size, will ride very differently, and probably more to your liking. I second @DorkDisc suggestion -- avoid tires marketed as "commuter" or "city" tires -- those are often reinforced for protection against road hazards -- good for durability when you need to get to work, but not good for comfort on the bike paths.
Old 06-15-20, 03:32 AM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a trek FX 2 and I honestly don't have any issues with it being an uncomfortable ride over cracks and bumps in the pavement. I can ride it fine on gravel, dirt, and grass. Like one of the other poster's said it may be the PSI in the tire. My tire is listed at 65-95 psi. I inflate it only to like 65 -70 psi, so maybe the lower tire pressure makes the bumps more comfortable for me. I also when I purchased it got rid of the awful hard seat the bike came with and put a nice wide thick very cushy seat on the bike that makes the rear end feel a lot better when going over bumps.

You can do like me and have two bikes. I have a Schwinn Mountain Bike I bought from a co-workers about 5 years back that is a much better quality Schwinn then they sell at Target and I have my Trek FX2 Hybrid. If it has just rained outside or if it is suppose to rain that day and paths could be slick and muddy I will take my Mountain Bike for a ride instead, I also don't mind if the mountain bike gets dirty and wet. If I am going to go on a more rugged very hilly mountain bike path I will take the mountain bike. Most of the time though my Trek Hybrid will be able to ride on most surfaces fine and most of the time I will ride the Trek Hybrid. Having 2 bikes gives me flexibility.

Last edited by littleArnold; 06-15-20 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-24-20, 12:35 PM
MrChrome
Mr Chrome

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 / 2012 SC Tallboy Al / Ti SS 29er

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Have you explored the possibility of tubeless? - that makes a big difference, allowing you to lower your pressure.......of course, you have to have tubeless-ready wheels to run this type of tire..........I noticed the difference the first time I ran tubeless on the road.......