Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

BB facing....before or after paint?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 11:04 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Which is better?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon Poser
Old 07-02-20, 11:34 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Yes, both. They are done for different reasons. Facing while building is for checking alignment. Facing after painting is to ensure that the BB sits square against the BB shell.
Old 07-02-20, 12:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Yes, both. They are done for different reasons. Facing while building is for checking alignment. Facing after painting is to ensure that the BB sits square against the BB shell.
Wouldn't to be best to not face the BB a second time after paint until the bottom bracket to be used is selected? Phil Wood BBs for example do not touch the shell face so leaving it painted both looks better and protects against rust
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-02-20, 01:32 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I would agree with that. That remaining paint would protect the surface. I've never used a Phil BB.
Old 07-02-20, 02:21 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
One reason to face the side of the BB shell that the cup presses up against is to protect against the cup pushing away the paint as it screws in. It not only pushes the paint from the face of the shell but also on the body as well. This depends on how thick the paint is. Eventually what happens is that water is introduced onto the body of the shell where the paint has been pushed away next to the face and it begins to rust and become ugly down there. I don't use my BB shell facer but rather scrape away the paint with a sharp Exacto knife. If I do it right I leave a bit of the primer as protection to moisture.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 07-02-20, 03:43 PM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
One reason to face the side of the BB shell that the cup presses up against is to protect against the cup pushing away the paint as it screws in. It not only pushes the paint from the face of the shell but also on the body as well. This depends on how thick the paint is. Eventually what happens is that water is introduced onto the body of the shell where the paint has been pushed away next to the face and it begins to rust and become ugly down there. I don't use my BB shell facer but rather scrape away the paint with a sharp Exacto knife. If I do it right I leave a bit of the primer as protection to moisture.

I really like that. I think I'll do this as it totally makes sense. Thanks Doug!
Old 07-02-20, 08:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
A fine file held flush against the face does much the same. But I will file face's corner with the shell's OD first to prevent a chip off of paint from traveling from the face and onto the shell's OD, Same with the head tube faces. Andy
Old 07-03-20, 09:00 AM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A fine file held flush against the face does much the same. But I will file face's corner with the shell's OD first to prevent a chip off of paint from traveling from the face and onto the shell's OD, Same with the head tube faces. Andy
Thanks Andy! I was thinking about this as well.