Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GCN's Emma Poley sets an amazing record

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-10-20, 01:22 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/e...f-7bdd7d0283b6
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-10-20, 02:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Cool, but not a surprise - she's a beast. Just before she joined GCN, she did the same Taiwan KOM Challenge climb/race as Si and one of the other GCN boys and she crushed them.
Old 07-10-20, 02:41 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a heck of a ride. McDonald's need to hire her as a spokeswoman.
Old 07-10-20, 02:49 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There is a climb in my area that is short, about 1/4 mile and quite steep. From the top it feels as if you are looking down into the Grand Canyon. Wondering about the actual steepness, I made a protractor like device and drove down the hill, stopping a number of times to measure the actual slope at different locations. It was about a 10% slope and no place steeper than 11 1/2%. I'm, not a strong or young cyclist but the bike is geared with 23 gear inches. It was pretty steep and at the top I forced myself to keep going with no rest. Those who can sustain, for hours, a climb of 13% or more are animals.
Likes For berner:
Old 07-10-20, 03:28 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I always thought she was holding back on some of the GCN group rides so she would not embarrass the guys. Now I am certain she was being polite.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-10-20, 03:52 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
There is a climb in my area that is short, about 1/4 mile and quite steep. From the top it feels as if you are looking down into the Grand Canyon. Wondering about the actual steepness, I made a protractor like device and drove down the hill, stopping a number of times to measure the actual slope at different locations. It was about a 10% slope and no place steeper than 11 1/2%. I'm, not a strong or young cyclist but the bike is geared with 23 gear inches. It was pretty steep and at the top I forced myself to keep going with no rest. Those who can sustain, for hours, a climb of 13% or more are animals.
I think that you are getting slope % and degree confused. slope % is the feet of rise you have for each 100 feet of travel. so a 13 % slope would be 13 feet of rise for each 100 feet of travel. You can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate it, or use this online calculator HERE. 13% is an angle of 7.41 degrees.

Old 07-10-20, 04:06 PM
berner

Nope.
Old 07-10-20, 04:09 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Love Emma! She's a boss!
Old 07-10-20, 04:20 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Absolutely no surprise at all that Pooley took the women's record. She's fast, and being the size of a mouse certainly helps with the hills.

All the same, the guys behind "official" Everesting really need to set it into two divisions. It's just pros and former pros setting and re-setting the record over and over. The men's has changed hands like half a dozen times in the past month.
Old 07-10-20, 07:15 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
All the same, the guys behind "official" Everesting really need to set it into two divisions. It's just pros and former pros setting and re-setting the record over and over. The men's has changed hands like half a dozen times in the past month.
And Alberto Contador is now the current holder, lol.
Old 07-10-20, 11:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Emma is a mountain goat. One of the few cyclists who look as comfortable standing to pedal as seated pedaling. Watching her videos made me realize my breathing was all wrong for climbing. Just changing my breathing technique (more diaphragm, less chest) really helped.
Old 07-11-20, 08:42 AM
berner

The whole breathing process is more interesting than I first thought. People who sing or play wind instruments and have had some training, are taught to use the diaphram. I happen to like opera and have attended performances at Lincoln Center in NYC. It is amazing that the unamplified voice can fill an entire music hall with sound.

I have a book on yoga anatomy with a detailed section on breathing which is important for yoga. The rib cage is crisscrossed with muscles, both on the inside and outside of the chest cavity. On the inhale, the exterior muscles act to enlarge the space for lung expansion. On the exhale, the interior muscles act to reduce the space and to expel air. To me the process is like pedaling in that we need to force the pedal down but relax so that on the following pedal stroke the down pushing leg is not used to raise the other leg. When I'm tired, toward the end of a long ride, I often catch myself using more energy to pedal than is actually necessary.
Old 07-11-20, 09:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
I got the breathing from a college swim instructor (also a grad student in physiology) to diaphragm breath and exhale to the max to swim freestyle. Those were equal breakthroughs for me. She stressed that if we exhaled completely, we freed the oxygen receptors deep n the lungs from the CO2 left when we don't inhale completely, With those receptors free, even with a very incomplete breath (which happens swimming freestyle!), that small amount of oxygen we do get is fully utilized. My mantra on hills - exhale! And blown up at the top of KOM efforts (not that I will ever get to the "K"), I exhale completely even though that sounds like the worst possible thing to do at that oxygen starved moment.

Ben
Old 07-12-20, 03:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just noticed Emma rode her custom bike for the Everesting challenge. Last summer she got a fully custom WyndyMilla, built to suit her diminutive frame and unique proportions, including 650 wheels. So the bike looks normally proportioned and presumably suits her better. When she stands to pedal her position on the bike isn't dramatically different from her seated pedaling.

In that video last year, and a previous "custom bike" build video with GCN two years ago, she talked about riding whatever the teams/sponsors provided when she was a pro, so she didn't really think much about bike fit or proportions until later. Her previous "custom" bike wasn't really. It was an aluminum frame Bond.Bike, her size but on 700c wheels that didn't look properly proportioned to suit her. She said the WyndyMilla with 650 eliminated toe overlap with low speed turns, presumably something she might encounter on Everesting challenges that involve repeating loops where tight turns are made at the tops and bottoms of segments.

I might point that out to some women cycling friends who are around 5-foot-nuthin', or shorter. In the past when they complained about bikes with 700c wheels that were poorly proportioned for their sizes I suggested trying an old school Terry bike or the Centurion ladies model with smaller front wheel. But they seemed offended by the appearance of those "toy wheel" bikes. However seeing someone like Emma Pooley doing so well on a bike that's custom built to her proportions might reinvigorate the concept for this generation of cyclists.

I noticed on YouTube some comments about her weight and stomach. Emma's tummy always pooches and deflates, like a bullfrog's throat. That's her diaphragm breath control technique. On her even 5 lbs would be noticeable but she looked the same as usual.
Likes For canklecat: